Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? (/Thread-What-s-the-quickest-easiest-way-to-clean-your-CPAP-equipment)

Pages: 1 2 3

What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - WWu777 - 12-21-2020

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what the quickest and easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment is. Can I just take the mask and scrub the nose plugs and head straps with soap and water and rinse and dry them? Is that enough? 

I don't understand why you need to clean the hoses too. Air constantly goes through them, so why would they be dirty or infected? Wouldn't any bacteria or germs be flushed through them by the air flow?

If you do have to clean the hose, could I just take the hose in the shower or sink and run water through them and just do a quick rinse that way? Or do they have to be soaked in some container with soap and water?

What's the least complicated way to clean the equipment?

And what about the CPAP machine itself? All you can do is wipe the exterior right? You can't open the machine itself. So all you can do is change the filter right?

Thanks in advance.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - Big Guy - 12-21-2020

Everything that you mentioned is reasonable enough as far as I see it. I use Clorox anti-bacterial wet wipes on the mask and cushion. That works very well for me. No lingering smell or scent either. The mask and cushion also gets a good hand washing every couple of weeks. 

The headgear (straps) get a good soaking in hot water and dish soap every few weeks or so. The air hose gets the same treatment about once a month. I have a hose brush that scrubs the inside as well. 

As far as the actual machine goes, just wipe it down every so often. No need to try and open it up. The filter in mine doesn't get dirty very often. I do remove it about once a month and wash it. I see no need to replace it unless you have a good reason to. It's there to protect the machine, not you. 

I do empty the water reservoir each & every morning and wipe it dry with some tissue. I leave the lid up to insure it air drys well. I use tap water. No problems at all. 

I'm not as ambitious as I once was when first starting SA Therapy, in regards to keeping things clean.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - GuyScharf - 12-21-2020

You've no doubt seen the cleaning regimen that the manufacturer specifies. I am not a good role model for cleaning!

I wipe my mask and cushion (Airfit F30) with a baby wipe daily; I find that essential to keeping a good fit on the mask. I check the filter on the machine once every three months and replace if it is at all dirty. (I did increase the frequency of replacement to just a few weeks when we had a lot of smoke in the air from fires.) I clean the humidifier tank whenever I see any film or other build-up on the floor of the tank--probably once a month or so. The hose is in a hose cover; I don't bother cleaning the hose except maybe once a year.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - SarcasticDave94 - 12-21-2020

The parts I have cleaned sometimes regularly are the mask cushion, hose, humidifier tub, and wiping down the ASV outside, and changing filters every few weeks. Parts that I clean go through the Dave approved and accepted method of soaking in hot water and a shot of Dawn while I grab a coffee. Soak time is about 30 minutes. I will then rinse all with clear warm or hot water, and sit these aside near the sink to air dry. Assuming this cleaning is sometime AM, they are dry by bedtime, ready for PAP duty.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - DoubtFire61 - 12-22-2020

After some sinus and throat problems, I went to the SoClean. Works out perfect for me. I also use only distilled water. And the air filter is changed monthly.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - WWu777 - 03-12-2021

Thanks for the advice everyone. I cleaned the mask and the hoses by just putting them in a tub or bucket of water and putting soap in it. It smelled fresh and clean afterward.

Do you think it's wise to put bleach in the bucket of water too? Or is regular soap and dishwashing liquid soap enough? Would bleach damage the hose or mask? Also is regular bath soap better or liquid dishwashing soap?

So it's best to soak it all in a bucket than to just run water through it in the shower? Is that correct?

What if I'm traveling or on vacation and don't have a bucket to soak it in? In that case would rinsing the mask and hose in a shower be good enough?

Thanks again.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - SarcasticDave94 - 03-12-2021

I'd say no bleach. Soap and water is more than good enough.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - Big Guy - 03-12-2021

Yeah, I'd avoid the bleach as well. Hot water and dish soap is sufficient. 

If on the road and it's time to clean, any sink will do fine. Just make sure it's clean prior to use.

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - hegel - 03-12-2021

I agree with those who think a rinse in the shower is not adequate. I think soaking in a tub of dish soap, and better still scrubbing with a hose brush, is much better. And of course the mask can be easily hand washed with dish soap. I use a baby wipe nightly before bed and only scrub the mask occasionally.

here's the thing: those who live in humid environments are more susceptible to mold and other growths. A cpap with a humidifier pushes warm moist air through the hose and into a mask for eight hours a night. Warm moist environments are ideal for cooties. Many ask where the cooties come from, and the answer is, the same place as mold growth in your shower: the airborne environment. Showers are a warm, moist environment, hence, mold. We don't shower for eight hours a day but we do use a humidifier for that long. Draw your own conclusions.

I now use a heated hose which greatly reduces water build up (rain out). A dry hose is a good thing. I still notice water droplets gathered in my mask in the morning.

I use a Respify ozone cleaner almost daily for my hose and tub--and sometimes the mask. Some cpap users think that's overkill and it may well be. It's easy to do and i"m busy (lazy).

RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? - staceyburke - 03-12-2021

WHAT! You are Supposed to clean them?