Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
odd, occasional mask leak - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: odd, occasional mask leak (/Thread-odd-occasional-mask-leak)

Pages: 1 2

odd, occasional mask leak - hegel - 01-01-2021

I'm now using a Resmed Airfit F30 mask. For the most part leaks are minimal. Every so often I'll have a night where I wake up often and discover my mouth is outside of the mask. the bottom lip. this happened repeatedly last night and my leak rate was 90 or so.

This mask doesn'[t come in a large. I use the Medium and it's a tight fit. Nevertheless it's my best mask so far and again, mostly I have minimal or even NO leaks.

any ideas? Why the obsessive poking my mouth outside of the mask when asleep?

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - Big Guy - 01-01-2021

I'm using the same mask, and I get some leaks during the night. I just readjust as needed. Mine tends to slip up my chin and I then have to pull it back down. But......that's about the extent of it. 

I might be wrong, but I'd be flabbergasted if ANY mask was 100% air tight all night long. Especially, if you are a side sleeper.

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - nadprok - 01-01-2021

I have been using the same  AirFit F30 for well over a year with very minimal leaks .  I am a side sleeper and the majority of the time my leaks are zero .However , I do tend to wear my mask tighter than most people would . I have never experienced my mask shifting but that is probably because I wear it tighter than normal .

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - Big Guy - 01-01-2021

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I tend to drool a little for a couple of hours. Then, for whatever reason, I stop for the duration of the night. 

Surprising how a little drool can act like some Mobil 1 10w/30 motor oil.  Oh-jeez

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - Jeff8356 - 01-02-2021

I use the F30 also and prefer it a little tighter than usual. My leaks are almost non existent but I do have an occasional night with frequent leaks. I am a side sleeper so I am probably just getting into an odd position and shifting the mask for a while.
I don't recall ever having it shift off my mouth though.

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - hegel - 01-02-2021

Thanks for the replies.Yes, I frequently have nights with no leaks, more with minimal leaks, and then the odd night with my lower mouth constantly coming outside of the mask repetitively while sleeping--and then my leaks are ginormous. It's not motor oil drool--its some odd psychological thing I think. Oh well! last night I had a near perfect score again.

I do wish they'd make a size large for this mask. that said, it's darn near perfect as it is. I also wear mine pretty tight. It's not at all uncomfortable tho.

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - Melman - 01-02-2021

I have the same problem with the F20. I've determined it's because my jaw drops a little and my mouth opens to the point where my lower lip 1s below the bottom seal of my mask. I wear a soft cervical collar to prevent chin tucking and the leak only happens when I forget the collar or have it too loose.

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - hegel - 01-03-2021

Interesting Melman. I wear a soft cervical collar too--it really seems to help with leaks! I wonder if I merely forgot to put it on and as a result did the ol' chin tuck, and that brought my lower lip out of the mask exactly as you describe. And I was too sleepy to realize what was going on.

Or maybe it was too loose.

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - Big Guy - 01-03-2021

I tend to keep the straps adjusted on my AirFit F30 pretty snug. That seems to help quite a bit.

RE: odd, occasional mask leak - nickgritz - 01-08-2021

What is considered minimal leaks?  anything under 20 lpm ?