Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study (/Thread-Will-Cigna-accept-Home-Sleep-Study)

Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study - Chitlom - 01-04-2021

Happy New Year Friends. 

I owe such a debt to this group for getting CPAP to work for me. Had I relied only on the information I received from the Apnea professionals I sought out and was referred to my apnea problems would never have been resolved. T H A N K   Y O U ! ! !

Now for a rather specific question:

I have a friend who is insured by CIGNA. I suspect she has Sleep Apnea but she does not want to go in for a sleep study due to the the current COVID situation.

Her doctor has said he could prescribe a home sleep study. Which I understand is done with a CPAP machine with a pulse oximeter attached.

Assuming the study shows she suffers from sleep apnea, my question is, would the results from such a study and a doctors prescription be enough to get CIGNA to pay for her to Apnea machine?

Thanks in Advance for your experience in this matter.

Chitlom

RE: Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study - OpalRose - 01-04-2021

Doctors are usually in touch with different insurance carriers and know if a home study might be covered, but the best thing to do would have your friend call Cigna and ask them directly.

RE: Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study - fred987 - 01-04-2021

I had CIGNA (until a few days ago) and 2 years ago they did cover the home sleep test but at that time I did Not get a CPAP machine becasue I had not met my deducible and would have had to pay $2,200 ( thats what they quote me then) out of my pocket. recently my Primary highly suggested I get the machine so I revisited the Sleep guys and mentioned to the the cost, they said " Why didnt you just buy your own? heres a perscription and I suggest you use this site to make your choice on machine" - so I did. At this time I feel that was a better choice as I dont have to Report my usage or other requirements by the insurance. - Things may have changed with CIGNA since my initial vist or you may have a differnt plan so you really should contact them. - I thought about checking to see if my purchase could be applied towards the co-pay, but in my circumstance it wouldnt matter since I was changing to a new insuance within 2 months.

RE: Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study - Sleeprider - 01-04-2021

Most insurance companies prefer the savings of a home sleep study. The purpose of any study is to adequately document sleep apnea to justify expense of CPAP. It is also a nearly certain way of ending up with a prescription for auto CPAP. Medicare is the most strident in requiring PSG analysis, but aside from that most insurance will pay for a home study and accept the results.