Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow (/Thread-Can-Mouth-Breathing-with-Nasal-Pillow)

Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - planetf1 - 04-03-2021

I recently switched from a Full face mask to a Nasal Pillow (P10) due to its inconvenience.

I am unsure if I am a mouth-breather or not, hence I am worried that my therapy may not be as effective as it should be if I am mouth-breathing whilst wearing a nasal pillow.

My question is would can the CPAP machine (OSCAR) detect leaks due to mouth-breathing if I am using a nasal pillow.

Thanks in advance.

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - staceyburke - 04-03-2021

Yes you can tell if you are mouth breathing. You may need to zoom in on your breathing pattern. First look at the bottom of the post to see about chart organization. Use F12 for a screenshot and download your OSCAR charts and someone here will tell you which area to zoom in on if they need it.

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - multicast - 04-04-2021

A cottonmouth indicates mouth breathing without taking a look at any charts.

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - planetf1 - 04-04-2021

(04-03-2021, 12:41 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Yes you can tell if you are mouth breathing. You may need to zoom in on your breathing pattern. First look at the bottom of the post to see about chart organization. Use F12 for a screenshot and download your OSCAR charts and someone here will tell you which area to zoom in on if they need it.

I have attached a screenshot of one of my Oscar charts.

Please let meknow if there is any area you want me to zoom in on

(04-04-2021, 03:29 AM)multicast Wrote: A cottonmouth indicates mouth breathing without taking a look at any charts.

I actually drool a lot while sleeping.

Does this mean I am not a mouthbreather?

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - multicast - 04-04-2021

Zoom two or three minutes around 3:20 when leakage is high.

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - planetf1 - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 01:27 PM)multicast Wrote: Zoom two or three minutes around 3:20 when leakage is high.

Please find the zoomed chart attached.

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - Sleeprider - 04-04-2021

Your leak rate at 3:20 looks like air is escaping your mouth. There is an extended period with an excess leak rate of 20 L/min. That's not terrible, it is just a part of the night the air got away from you, and the machine still maintained pressure. What I wan to know, is why your CPAP drops to 4 cm when your minimum pressure setting is 10.0?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=31221]

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - planetf1 - 04-05-2021

I believe my leak rate is lower than when I was wearing the FFM. Please see attached screenshot. Should I keep using the nasal pillows even with the mouth leaks that you mentioned.

Regarding the drop in pressure, I could remember that I slept on the same bed as my fiancee on that night and maybe didn't sleep as deeply as I would have liked to.  The pressure has not dropped that low on other nights.

RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow - biorn - 04-06-2021

(04-04-2021, 08:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What I wan to know, is why your CPAP drops to 4 cm when your minimum pressure setting is 10.0?

Ramp I bet.