Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Mask Opininions? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Mask Opininions? (/Thread-Mask-Opininions)

Mask Opininions? - tierdal - 04-16-2021

So I started with a Nasal pillow because it looked the least cumbersome but I was wondering while im on my 30 day trial should I try other masks?

I currently have the resmed airfit p10 (medium) but it kinda feels like the bottom of my nose is a bit dry soar lately. Should I try a full nose mask or even a full face mask? Are there pros/cons?

Are there other nasalpillows I could try for testing purposes?

This is my provider and what is available:

[Commercial Link Removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

RE: Mask Opininions? - Rich66 - 04-16-2021

I started with using the Respironics Wisp mask with size "L" cushion. I found it leaked too much because it was too big. But the smaller Wisp cushion is sized "M/S" -- which is too small. So I switched to Resmed N20 nasal mask with medium cushion and find it a much better mask (I've used it only one week so far). I tried the Respironics Nuance pillows mask, and couldn't get used to it.

RE: Mask Opininions? - Melman - 04-16-2021

If you can avoid mouth breathing there is no reason to try a full face mask. You will likely find it less comfortable, you may have to try several to find a good fit for your face, and avoiding leaks will be more of a problem. I wear a full face mask because none of the suggested methods to avoid mouth breathing work for me. I went through several that caused sores on the bridge of my nose and or leakage into my eyes before I tried the the Airfit F20 which has eliminated those issues. I would still prefer nasal pillows if I could use them. I can't advise you on alternative nasal masks but I'm sure others will.

RE: Mask Opininions? - pholynyk - 04-16-2021

In contrast to Rich66, I found the ResMed N20 to be uncomfortable, and the Wisp with L cushion has worked well for a couple of years now.
I think it just depends on your nose and face contours.

I agree with Melman that finding a full face mask to fit your own contours can be a problem.

I have used a Brevida, and it works fairly well, but the 'prongs' sometimes irritate my nostrils. I'm planning on trying a Envira (?), as it looks like it would be comfortable.

RE: Mask Opininions? - tierdal - 04-16-2021

Really thankful I apparently dont mouth breath at all! its a livesaver for cpap

RE: Mask Opininions? - tierdal - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 02:22 PM)pholynyk Wrote: In contrast to Rich66, I found the ResMed N20 to be uncomfortable, and the Wisp with L cushion has worked well for a couple of years now.
I think it just depends on your nose and face contours.

I agree with Melman that finding a full face mask to fit your own contours can be a problem.

I have used a Brevida, and it works fairly well, but the 'prongs'  sometimes irritate my nostrils. I'm planning on trying a Envira (?), as it looks like it would be comfortable.

Do you guys find the nose ones more comfortable than the pillows?

RE: Mask Opininions? - pholynyk - 04-17-2021

There are pro's and con's for each. I think the pillows may irritate the nostrils, but not always. The nasel masks are most like to irritate the bridge of the the nose (I have a semi-permanent red spot that never becomes a sore.)

I think you have to try both to see which works best for you.

The Evora (mis-spelled above) seems to be a pillows mask with out anything entering the nostrils, but held in position by cushions on the sides of the nose - which is why I want to try it at next mask change.