Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
When I Exhale, Is It Leaving The Mask? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: When I Exhale, Is It Leaving The Mask? (/Thread-When-I-Exhale-Is-It-Leaving-The-Mask)

When I Exhale, Is It Leaving The Mask? - Joman - 04-25-2021

Hello,

My name is Joey. I'm brand new to this forum as well as using my CPAP machine.

I'm on here because I need answers and I'm having a hard time finding them.

I recently got the Airsense 10 with the AirTouch F20 face mask and automatic pressure settings (4-10cm), and I swear it feels like when I exhale, my breath isn't escaping. A couple times during the night, I found myself gasping for air. I'm not sure if it was psychological or not.

I did some research and found that a lot of people have problems with the new F20 elbow because of the filter over the air holes, so I used a pocket knife and removed the filters, which helped a little bit, but of course now it's super noisy.

The other issue I'm having is that I don't notice the valves in the elbow doing anything, ever. Are they supposed to close when I exhale to allow the air to escape? They don't seem to move at all.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've had insomnia for months and all I want is a good night's sleep. They're putting me on Lunesta but I'm not going to take it until I know for sure I'm getting enough oxygen and everything is functioning correctly.

Help!

RE: When I Exhale, Is It Leaving The Mask? - Crimson Nape - 04-25-2021

Hi Joey!  - Welcome

The Anti-Asphyxia valve only closes when you lose pressure in the CPAP's hose.  This prevents the hose from filling with discharged CO2.  During normal operation the air pressure is sufficient to prevent this from occurring.

Your starting pressure setting of 4-cmH2O can be a reason for feeling like you're gasping for air.   Most CPAP users find a starting pressure of 7 or 8-cmH2O provides a more comfortable feeling.

- Red

RE: When I Exhale, Is It Leaving The Mask? - GuyScharf - 04-25-2021

Yes, your exhaled breath is escaping through those small holes. The purpose of the filter is to quiet the air flow as you have noticed.

The two flaps you see are the anti-asphyxiation valves. They close when the machine is creating air pressure for your mask. If your machine shuts off, those valves open so you can still breathe.

Most people find 4 cm pressure to be too low and leads to feeling like they cannot breathe.

Please download and install OSCAR and put a SD card (2 to 32 GB, not larger) in your machine. After a night's use, import the data into OSCAR and post a screenshot of the Daily page in this thread so someone can see what is happening.

RE: When I Exhale, Is It Leaving The Mask? - Joman - 04-25-2021

Thank you for the info, I will do that. I feel more comfortable taking the Lunesta now.

I'm so freaking tired.

RE: When I Exhale, Is It Leaving The Mask? - SarcasticDave94 - 04-25-2021

Agreed with the others. I too would suggest that bump in Min pressure to 7. If you've not been using EPR, add that at 3 full time. Exhale Pressure Relief will add comfort. I'm not too surprised you're having a few issues. It isn't normal to have an alien strapped to your face, blowing air on you from the umbilical cord attached to the Mother PAP ship. But this alien may make your life a lot healthier if you befriend it.