Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Rice95 Therapy - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Rice95 Therapy (/Thread-Rice95-Therapy)

RE: Rice95 Therapy - Rice95 - 10-08-2021

I used to sleep with a collar and numbers fluctuated. I removed it and numbers were fine. As of late they have gone way up. The clusters do not wake me up.

RE: Rice95 Therapy - CorruptAlligator - 10-08-2021

If you do not wake through the night, it's hard to rule out you switching to supine position. It's very likely the higher AHI with clusters are from you getting on back position without wearing a collar. The higher the AHI with more clusters, you are getting on supine more.

Only other option other than a collar would be trying a shallow pillow if your pillow is on the thick side that causes your chin to lower. Or no pillow at all if it doesn't result in aches in the morning. If that doesn't work, only way to reduce the clusters of OA is the collar.

RE: Rice95 Therapy - OpalRose - 10-08-2021

I really think you'll have to resign yourself to using the collar again.  Your results were pretty decent up till you decided to stop using it.  

I know it's uncomfortable, but that's a lot of Obstructives.  I can't believe you are sleeping through that, but even if you are, having that many Obstructives and Hypopnea on a steady basis like that does put strain on your body.  You air is simply being cut off and that's not good.  

You conquered this before.... so dig out your collar and the body pillow that keeps you off your back and whatever else you were using.   Rolleyes

Sorry, I know of no other way to get control of this. Raising pressure will not help positional apnea. Are you still using a flatter pillow?

RE: Rice95 Therapy - Rice95 - 10-08-2021

Thank you Opal!
Yes, I still have a flat pillow. I pitched my collar because things were going well without it.  Sad

I didn't like the feel so I need to find one that is comfortable. Any new collar prospects that are having good luck and are comfortable to wear?

RE: Rice95 Therapy - quiescence at last - 10-08-2021

Been a while since I have been looking at these charts, but my observation is that nearly all of the events were at the point of your maximum pressure, so the machine is being held back from causing higher airway pressure that tends to relieve obstructions. This is validated also because at these points, the flow limitations were remarkably higher. If pressure is not a problem, then there may be a sleep visitor that alternately lightly strangles you multiple times a night, and is sneaky enough that you don't catch them. The LOWEST pressure (exhale) has to be high enough to not allow the airway to collapse.

Therefore, IIWM (if it were me) I would reduce the EPR to 2 vice 3, so you can get to 11.4 at a point where the exhale pressure is 9.4 vice 8.4. This will give you a little more EPAP to work with.
In 5 days, if that is the least bit successful, I would do either (1) reduce the EPR to 1 and try for 5 days (allowing the exhale to increase to 10.4) or (2) increase the pressure from 11.4 to 12.4 (this results in the same exhale pressure to increase to 10.4, but still supports a nice exhale relief EPR of 2).
And, bring data back.

QAL

RE: Rice95 Therapy - Rice95 - 10-09-2021

Here is my chart from last night with moving EPR to 2. Opal, take a look at this too. 
Still lots of clusters. I ordered a collar. It comes in today.

RE: Rice95 Therapy - OpalRose - 10-09-2021

Dropping EPR to 2 gave you a higher Epap, but didn't make a significant change in Obstructives.  

That is the point I was making and that others have also said, that pressure changes won't necessarily make a big difference in your numbers when the Obstructives are caused from chin tucking (cutting off your air).

Yeah, you can raise the top pressure number, but the Flow Limitations (likely caused from chin tucking) will push the pressure up to whatever maximum you set as long as there is Positional Apnea (chin tucking) to deal with.  

What collar did you order?  

If you like, I can split this thread with a title like:  Rice95 Therapy [Been struggling with Positional Apnea.]  

You might get more help and advice on collars and what others have done to conquer this problem. Dont-know
I can put a link back to this thread. Folk sometimes won't jump into a long thread to advise.

RE: Rice95 Therapy - Rice95 - 10-09-2021

Yes---that sounds great. Thank you Opal. Can I go back to EPR 3? I was struggling to breathe comfortably with EPR 2. The collar hasn't made it yet. Comes today.  It says comfortable for apnea therapy. Dont-know
Its called Velpau Neck Brace(style is "comfort"  on Amazon.

RE: Rice95 Therapy - OpalRose - 10-09-2021

If EPR 3 is the most comfortable, then yes set it to 3. Like I said, I didn't see much difference on your graphs between 2 and 3, but 1 day doesn't make a trend either.

RE: Rice95 Therapy - OpalRose - 10-11-2021

Rice, since this thread is so long, I split it and started a new thread for you, so you can receive more help with positional apnea and collars.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-split-Rice95-Therapy-positional-apnea-help-with-collars