Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pressure rises when awake - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pressure rises when awake (/Thread-Pressure-rises-when-awake)

Pages: 1 2

Pressure rises when awake - naposnore65 - 05-01-2021

[attachment=31879]
Dear All 
I have purchased a new machine (see my profile).
The first night I started with the Auto  for her mode with pressure at 5.6 
I have been AWAKE for 2 hours from 23 to 1 (so I could obviously not have any apnea or snoring etc) but after a while, around 23.30, the pressure gently started to rise and in two hours went up to 11 (still AWAKE).
Looking at the OSCAR report (attached here) it seems it rose due to the detection of "flow limitation".
It seems to me the machine is defective and should give it back. Or maybe it is the mask (but this one is their latest model top quality!)
To me, it does not make sense to have flow limitations while awake with normal and regular breathing.
The same occurred at around 4 PM after a trip to the toilet but then I fell immediately asleep so I cannot say what really happened.
I checked that the same occurs with the standard Auto mode.
What do you think?

RE: Pressure rises when awake - SevereApnea - 05-01-2021

Welcome!

Nice machine you have there. I doubt if it is new, that it would be faulty.

This sleep thing is weird. Full of paradoxes.

Often I look at my own nightly sleep notes which say something like: lay awake for 2 hours...restless, couldn't sleep, or at least it "felt" like I was awake.

Looking at my charts the next day I see what you are seeing:  Flow limitations pushing up the pressure, and that reassures me that in fact I was asleep, maybe just a light stage of sleep.

Your pressure has gone from 5.6 to around 13, to me that says two things: you were likely asleep, and your starting pressure is on the low side.

I have no idea if you can have enough flow limitations while awake to actually cause this pattern, others here will comment on that.

RE: Pressure rises when awake - OpalRose - 05-01-2021

Hi naposnore65,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Is is quite normal to see Flow Limitations drive the pressure up.  And it's also sometimes normal that "awake" breathing can be very erratic.  

It's hard to read the graph you posted.  If you are able, please follow the link below and post a Screenshot of the daily page as shown in the tutorial. Use the F12 button to capture a Screenshot.

Then use the Attachment Feature at the bottom of your post to upload here.  Please include the left sidebar (minus the pie chart and calendar) along with the following graphs:
Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limation and Leak Rate.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=OSCAR_Chart_Organization

Thanks!

RE: Pressure rises when awake - naposnore65 - 05-01-2021

Hi
This is the screenshot following your suggestions.
I have a MAC so I don't have f12 just screen capture.
I am sure I was awake the first 2 hours.
w

RE: Pressure rises when awake - Crimson Nape - 05-01-2021

Other Mac users here said that it is Fn+F12 (Increase Volume).  Either way, you can go to View > Take Screenshot.

[Image: 2020-macbook-air-function-key-diagram.png]

RE: Pressure rises when awake - naposnore65 - 05-01-2021

ok attached here

RE: Pressure rises when awake - Gideon - 05-01-2021

All that said your numbers are excellent, your flow limits are not.
We can make a dent in the flow limits by turning on EPR.
My suggestion is to set EPR=3, fulltime, and increase your min pressure to 7 to give the EPR room to work.

Most importantly which settings feel better, your current ones or the suggested ones.

And post a chart after trying them.

RE: Pressure rises when awake - StevesSp - 05-02-2021

I would caution against saying you were awake when these events happen, even if you think you were. I realised long ago that I mistakenly believed I was awake when in fact I was in a half awake/half asleep condition, during which the apnea events we normally associate with actual sleep can occur. For instance, I have frequently believed that I have been awake for most of the night, yet I have been unaware of things that have happened during the night (i.e. storms, my wife getting up, the dogs barking), so I must have been asleep.

Similarly, there have been times when I have tried to snooze on the couch, truly believed that I never actually slept, yet my wife says I was snoring.

RE: Pressure rises when awake - naposnore65 - 05-02-2021

I am testing it now while playing chess on my desk. I hope it can be accepted I am awake without casting doubt on it.
I changed mask. Now the airfit 30 resemd full face. another top mask.
I set the starting pressure to 8 with EPR=1
auto mode (for men)
for 15 min nothing fixed at 8.
then in half an hour, it went to 12..2
now it is gently lowering the pressure back down, I am already at 10.4 now I need to go to dinner...
during all this I am breathing the same and totally normally...
how can this be a sensible algorithm???? I "hope" it is malfunctioning...incredible brand new...

RE: Pressure rises when awake - jaswilliams - 05-03-2021

Your machine has no idea if your awake or not all it can to is measure your breathing rate. when your concentrating you often hold your breath or do other weird things nothing like the breathing flow when your asleep. So the machine tries its best to work out whats going on but the results are often pretty random it does not mean there is anything wrong with your machine. Its not a fair test.