Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure (/Thread-Is-there-a-downside-to-increasing-mIn-pressure)

Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - ChuckInNJ - 05-17-2021

Hi,

I've been using my Autosense 10 for 6 weeks. My AHI is good (below 2). My machine is set to 4-20 with EPR at 3. Is there a downside to raising the lower number up a few cm.? My 95% pressure is between 11 and 12 over the last 6 weeks.  I'd like a little more pressure as I go to sleep.

Thanks.

RE: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - staceyburke - 05-17-2021

Welcome- you need to raise your low pressure. All Cpap machines have the lowest pressure available is 4 so you are the lowest it can go. Now EPR is exhale pressure relief which means it lowers your lowest pressure by either 1, 2 or 3 depending on what you select. 

You have your EPR set at 3 but it is doing nothing because your machine can not go below 4. You need at least a min of 7 if your EPR is set to 3. 

I take a minimum of 9 or I am tearing of my mask to get enough air. 

So to answer your question raise it as much as you need to feel you have enough air. No problem at all

RE: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - Melman - 05-17-2021

We generally recommend a minimum pressure close to your median pressure. As Stacey advised you want to increase it to at least 7 to get the full advantage from EPR. You didn't mention if your using ramp but if you are you shoild try turning that off too.

RE: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - SarcasticDave94 - 05-17-2021

Agreed with Stacey, raise the Min to 7 for now so EPR works better. Show an OSCAR chart and we can help more accurately.

RE: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - ChuckInNJ - 05-17-2021

Ramp is off

RE: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - Jeremy H - 05-18-2021

My AHI is about 18. Can't get it lower. I did get to 10 once. Then tried to increase pressure and it went up.

RE: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - staceyburke - 05-18-2021

Jamie H, Welcome.  Please Start your own thread and post your OSCAR charts, we will help you get HAI down and make you feel better.  But don't post on his thread, we want to keep all of your charts and info together like we want to keep all the this posters info together.

RE: Is there a downside to increasing mIn. pressure - ChuckInNJ - 05-18-2021

I raised the minimum to 7, leaving everything else alone. I was definitely more comfortable as I went to sleep. And last night's AHI was good (0.6). Thanks for the input.

I look at the OSCAR data later to see what may have changed.