Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS (/Thread-News-RECALL-THREAD-IMPORTANT-PHILIPS-DREAMSTATION-SYSTEM-ONE-USERS)

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - WakeUpTime - 08-20-2021

(08-20-2021, 11:24 AM)HalNeinThousand Wrote: << above >>
Welcome to ApneaBoard - a place for more engaged device users - and greetings to you in Romania.  If you've gone through much of this thread, your experiences will seem quite familiar.  There will likely be many more "knowns" in the weeks/months to come.  Now (like the majority here) that you've switched to an AS10, I hope you'll also be connected to those threads too.  They'll offer great insights from the user community.  Please continue to stay connected to this thread as well, as being a recalled device user gives you experience and a connection to future "knowns" that come out regarding the Philips faulty foam devices.

(Romania brings a tear to my eye with Nadia Comăneci's seven perfect 10s... changing the Olympics forever.)

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - DaveCar - 08-20-2021

Interesting.  I received another email from Philips today, this time to the email addy that I used to send a brief complain to pcms and the cdn prez.  
This one includes a "ticket number" that is different from the number attached to the date string in my other email (instigated by my vendor on my behalf).
It also includes a questionnaire on what happened/where/when and what I did/didnt do etc so that they can more fully understand my issue.
I'm a little hesitant to give them full info at this time, since I have also signed up with a class action.  

Thoughts ?

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - WakeUpTime - 08-20-2021

(08-20-2021, 12:03 PM)DaveCar Wrote: << above >>

I'd just ask myself, "What's in it for me?".  The only upside I see is the possibility of getting a better/faster response from Philips (Canada), as far as a replacement device goes.  But of course, that will ultimately happen anyway.  Unless you're one of the primary persons listed in a class action, I'm not sure that Philips' lawyers will ultimately be able to connect your direct Philips communications with being one of the participants in a significantly sized class action.

So, if it were me, I'd respond ONLY IF I were continuing to use my recalled Philips device and wanted/needed the fastest possible solution.  However, the majority here seem to have replaced (or are replacing) their recalled device - and mostly consider a future fix/replacement as a backup secondary device.  If you do continue on that communications path, of course, we'll be so very interested in the future responses and actions by Philips (Canada).  

There's another option too - respond with the least amount of details that are common to ever other recalled device user, giving them nothing more to even potentially ever hold against you.  Offer nothing more to them than they already commonly know, while continuing to demand more/faster actions and information.  They might not like it if you leave out many details that they're really looking for.  For example, if they ask you to describe any other side effects, you could just respond with "Yes."  Of course, in the process, you're smart enough to know to not "agree" to any conditions/releases along the way.  Philips has nothing to lose, since they have to fix/replace your device anyway, and everything to gain by pulling additional information from you.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - btreger - 08-20-2021

NEWS4 Washington

Lawsuits claim a CPAP manufacturer knew of "serious" health risks "long" before the recall

A Philips spokesman said the issues with the “PE-PUR foam were unforeseen, but now that we have discovered them, we will correct this thoroughly.

The company said it plans to replace or repair all of the affected devices at no cost to the consumers. And the spokesman said Philips is already producing roughly 55,000 repair kits and replacement devices a week with hopes to increase production to 80,000 units a week by the fourth quarter of 2021.

The company expects to complete the repair and replacement programs within a year of receiving regulatory approval, he said.

In a statement to News4, an FDA official said the company’s “mitigation plan” is a “high priority for the FDA” and that it will “authorize such a plan as soon as the company provides the agency with sufficient evidence to support the safe and effective mitigation of the product defect.”

The official added the FDA has the option of enforcement action when a company’s “voluntary action is not rapid or complete.”

Sleep Apnea Patients Scrambling After CPAP Device Recall – NBC4 Washington (nbcwashington.com)

ADDITIONAL DAILY NEWS UPDATES - WakeUpTime - 08-20-2021

<< ABOVE >> Add'l News Video Link (4m33s): Sleep Apnea Patients

"Philips CPAP Machines Are Being Recalled, What to Know"
Healthline - August 19th

What are the health risks of using the recalled machines?  There may be short-term and long-term health risks linked to using the affected devices.

“The short-term risks of inhaling these particles include things like headache, skin irritation and allergic reactions, as well as respiratory tract irritation that can lead to cough and shortness of breath,” Anwar said.

According to the recall, some people may also experience eye and skin irritation along with nausea or vomiting.

Long-term use may increase a person’s risk for developing asthma. There may also be carcinogenic effects to critical organs, like the liver and kidneys, Anwar said.

"PROVIDERS WORK ‘DAY AND NIGHT’ AMID LATEST WAVE"
Home Medical Equipment News - August 20th

COVID-19 cases are rising again and many HME providers are feeling the strain, according to a recent HME Newspoll.

A recall on certain respiratory devices has only exacerbated the problem, say respondents.

“(We have) big concerns growing of how we support hospital discharges with BiPAPs when the recall has stopped or driven down our allocations to almost nothing,” wrote one provider.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Crimson Nape - 08-20-2021

Another little side note:  
When posting an article that is copied from another website, try pasting it in a plain text editor first to strip off all the formatting codes,  then copy the article displayed in the text editor and paste it into your post.   Once it is pasted in the Full text editor here, you can then format it to your liking. This additional step will really help in making your post easier to read.

If you are looking for a text editor on your PC, Windows will have Notepad or Notepad++. On a Mac, it is TextEdit.  In Linux, graphical text editors can be xed, leafpad, or Kate, to name a few.

Thanks!
- Red

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - DCAlexandria - 08-20-2021

Hey All.

New member.  Thought i'd report my findings.

So I got the Dreamstation about a year ago.  That being said I have an old Phllips System one from 2010.  I decided for peace of mind and possible useage I took apart my system one and removed the foam.  I am happy to report there was zero evidence that any foam degredation whatsoever.   My use condittions: NEVER used an ozone cleaner, generally bad about cleaning it oeverall, live in northern virginia and keep the house always climate controlled.

Now I do have a question, I took the foam out and now the pressure coming out is insanely high.  Is that because the foam was blocking so much air?

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - mrmagloo - 08-20-2021

Hard to say exactly what is going on. Sounds more like you messed something up.  Seems every other report out there from those who removed the foam in various models suggested that the machine worked exactly the same, with perhaps a slight increase in the noise level.  If you feel the pressure is way off, and/or isn't running correctly, you might want to retrace your steps.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - DaveCar - 08-20-2021

There was a post here (or maybe it was youtube) where someone forgot to replace or misaligned a seal for one of the air sensing ports, and it caused very high pressure (the machine could no longer tell what was going on due to the leak at the sensor).

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - SingingSam - 08-20-2021

"Now I do have a question, I took the foam out and now the pressure coming out is insanely high.  Is that because the foam was blocking so much air?"

When the assembly is right the pressure will be unchanged and the noise level no louder.

I got it wrong my first try, and it sounded like a little vacuum cleaner. No worries, you didn't break it.

Go to the thread for defoaming System One for help as needed.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Foam-Removal-Philips-System-One