Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS (/Thread-News-RECALL-THREAD-IMPORTANT-PHILIPS-DREAMSTATION-SYSTEM-ONE-USERS)

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - btreger - 09-16-2021

RE: >Above Post<

If you don't read the full post, you wouldn't have seen this, and it could prove to be very important.

"Customers are also now being asked to return their recalled machines to Philips and equipment suppliers for disposal, and Berger Montague advises consumers who believe they have suffered an injury to consult with a lawyer before returning their recalled devices, to ensure the devices are properly preserved for litigation".

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Glen e - 09-16-2021

Interesting: off a motorcyclist forum where I posted the alert sev months ago 

https://advrider.com/f/threads/use-a-phillips-dreamstation-stop-recall-for-carcinogens….1507252/page-2#post-43005732

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - btreger - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 02:26 PM)Glen e Wrote: https://advrider.com/f/threads/use-a-phillips-dreamstation-stop-recall-for-carcinogens….1507252/page-2#post-43005732

Would you consider sharing your password?

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - WakeUpTime - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 01:10 PM)btreger Wrote: "Customers are also now being asked to return their recalled machines to Philips and equipment suppliers for disposal, and Berger Montague advises consumers who believe they have suffered an injury to consult with a lawyer before returning their recalled devices, to ensure the devices are properly preserved for litigation".

Good to see.  I alerted them early on about Philips' request to immediately dispose of the recalled devices, for those getting DS2 replacements rather than fixes.  The other issue is for those getting service fixes (new foam).  That evidence will be immediately destroyed too.  

All recalled device owners deserve to know. and preserve, evidence of their personal amount of foam ingestion/inhalation - just for their own peace of mind and awareness.  Otherwise, many will live with the additional stress and worries of never quite knowing how much carcinogenic foam they may have ingested/inhaled.  The lawyers for the meeting at the end of this month to consolidate nationwide class-actions should demand that Philips either preserve the foam or endorse the right of recalled device owners to remove it on their own.

Philips, their legal department, and their outside legal teams in various countries, would like nothing more than seeing all of the decomposed foam privately destroyed.  There are many benefits for Philips in doing so, most notably that destroying the decomposed faulty foam allows Philips to continue to claim they have no knowledge of real-life mass data from the extensive user community, therefore sticking with light laboratory condition studies.  Philips would remain in full control of their company-initiated recall effort.  That's significantly preferable to a court-mandated (or medical authority) recall, where a more extensive list of demands would be made upon Philips.

(09-16-2021, 02:26 PM)Glen e Wrote: << above site link >>

Please post the details, if it's easy to do, because the site link requires user registration.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Glen e - 09-16-2021

There shouldn’t be a password, I don’t know what’s going on. Here is the post verbatim posted a few hours ago:

“My replacement Dreamstation2 showed up via FedEx today to replace my Dreamstation. No prior communication, not really much documentation in the box other than telling me to pack up the old one and return it. I'd registered pretty soon after the recall notice but no idea what sequence they're working through the list.”

Poster shows North Virginia, USA location.

[update: poster added that this was a direct ship from Philips, not a DME]

(09-16-2021, 02:42 PM)Glen e Wrote: There shouldn’t be a password,  I don’t know what’s going on. Here is the post verbatim posted a few hours ago:

Thanks

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - DaveCar - 09-16-2021

Posts in FB say that the return address for the DS1's is a return-to-destroy company (Stericycle).
If they are actually destroying DS1's, then why are they making upgrade/repair kits ?

What happens if someone threw their DS1 in the trash after their doctor said dont use it ?
Do they still get the new DS2 ?

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - LindanHotAir - 09-16-2021

The CPAP and APAP machines are functionally replaceable with a DS2. Has anyone received a replacement bilevel or ASV machine?

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - cathyf - 09-16-2021

As far as we know, the advanced (bipap/asv) versions of the DS2 are still in the engineering phase.

Somewhere in our accumulated history here, do we have a good idea of how long after the APAP releases of each of the ResMed and PR models that it took to produce the advanced machines?

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - cathyf - 09-16-2021

Random thought here...

Back in spring of 2020 when the mantra was "ventilators ventilators ventilators" before the clever docs figured out that they did more harm than good, the US produced a huge inventory of ventilators that got stuck in warehouses.

Does anybody know if these basically useless (well at least the sheer volume of them...) machines could be remanufactured into APAPs?