Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS (/Thread-News-RECALL-THREAD-IMPORTANT-PHILIPS-DREAMSTATION-SYSTEM-ONE-USERS)

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - hegel - 06-27-2021

" Is it the ONLY cause? No. But is it a factor that would probably worsen and speed up the deterioration problem? Absolutely."

It's that little hedge that is telling: "probably...absolutely".

Look, to me it makes sense that ozone cleaners would accelerate the deterioration of the foam. Probably. But, again, I used a So Clean daily for many years and it never caused any discoloration or degradation to my mask, tube or tub. At least, my masks all lasted as long or longer than expected. I have read others who write that ozone discolored their masks.

I suppose the type of material ozone is interacting with makes a big difference. Hard to imagine ozone wearing out a tub or a tube, for example. Foam? that seems more possible.

Again, ozone converts to oxygen in 30 minutes to at most four hours. I don't think pockets of it somehow remain trapped in nooks and crannies of the machine for 14 hours. Nevertheless I would run a quick blow through my equipment before using it. I use Respify now and don't run ozone through my machine. I also remove my mask, tub and tube from the cleaning bag after the cycle is done. Respify recommends this. There are hundreds of products on the market that need to used in the proper way in order to be safe. One thinks of a chainsaw, for example. It's the same with these cleaners.

I don't run ozone through my machine. I put the respify cleaning bag with equipment in my bathroom with the windows open when it's going through its cycle. This is not destroying my equipment or posing a threat to my health. I follow proper guidelines and common sense.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Glen e - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 01:16 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW I'm choosing not to buy Respironics not because of foam gate, but because of how Respironics doesn't work with my breathing like I'm used to with ResMed. That's all I'm basing my choice on. ResMed has a breath pattern I like better.

exactly how my brother and I feel…the DS blew off our faces, the resmed at the same pressure does not, for whatever reason. It’s totally night and day.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - sawinglogz - 06-27-2021

(06-26-2021, 09:49 PM)cathyf Wrote: Yeah, but the humidifier runs via heat, and heat dissipates. That's why you have to worry about what you put in the cupboard over your stove, not just what you put in the oven.

Entropy always wins -- ironclad law of the universe.

True, but the humidity is always exhausted, and a substantial portion of the heat as well. Also, heat rises and the blower is to the side of the humidifier further reducing residual heat transfer.

And isn’t there effectively an insulating barrier of moving air between the blower and the wall between humidifier and CPAP?

I’m not suggesting no heat from the humidifier reaches the foam, I just suspect it’s not more than a few degrees difference.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Dog Slobber - 06-27-2021

[Image: attachment.php?aid=33254]

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - TomR60 - 06-27-2021

Dielaughing Laugh-a-lot

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - sawinglogz - 06-27-2021

Nicely done! You even matched their fonts! You totally had me for the first few bullet points, until I got to the actual solution.

*record scratch*

Wait, what?!

Too-funny

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - qwerty42 - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 03:38 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: <snipped to save space>

Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing Laugh-a-lot

Mr. Slobber, is this device compatible with the portable air compressor out in my garage? I have a 30ft hose I'd like to run in through my window and then I don't need any extra sound abatement materials. 120psi should be enough to keep the hypopneas at bay.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - WakeUpTime - 06-27-2021

I hope Philips doesn't hide behind the "recommended 5 year replacement" advice, as related to the defective foam recall.  There's a significant difference between "recommendation" and illness-causing deterioration of components.

Imagine if car manufacturers said that cars were recommended to be replaced every 7 years.  That way, if the car fell apart causing injury after that time, they could say owners didn't follow their advice, for liability reasons.

On another note, insurance companies should be suing Philips too.  If they're having to replace machines that are well less than 5 years old, because of Philips' design negligence, and Philips inability to provide an immediate replacement.  That's an addition $1,000-$2,000 they're having to pay out - that would not have had to be paid out if it were any other PAP manufacturer.  Getting a second unit as a "fix" or "replacement" months later doesn't do insurance companies any good.

Sadly, with all the middlemen, any pressure the insurers try to exert will only squeeze the DMEs. Otherwise an amortized buyback or discount would probably be the insurers’ first requirement.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - DaveL - 06-27-2021

It helped me to watch the man changing the blower assembly in his Respironics machine. Thanks cathyf