Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS (/Thread-News-RECALL-THREAD-IMPORTANT-PHILIPS-DREAMSTATION-SYSTEM-ONE-USERS)

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - racprops - 07-01-2021

OK Whom am I??

I am a 73-year-old everything...I self-learned auto repair at 16, I learned to repair cars A/C and all systems, brake jobs, rebuilding carbs etc. Then at 21 was trained in Heating and A/C service, found work only in the summertime then was trained in TV repair and ran my own TV shop up until 1977 when solid-state replaced tubes, I then became a TV and Movie Prop maker and have been doing that from 1977 until now.

I still do everything, all home repairs, auto repairs, rebuild engines, stick shift transmissions, customize my vans and car.

And I am not a Luddite either I have studied modern Fuel Injection systems and really like them over those old carb etc. systems, and I have worked on improving cars MPG and did get a 2000, Mercury Grand Marques, to do 35MPG at 65MPH highway.

I learned to make models most of my life and this helped my making good working mold masters, molds which I have to provide airflow and removable for good plastic castings, operate a lathe and mill, etc.

I built and operate a vacuum former again where understanding airflow and vacuum is important.

I do molds for casting fine pewter and then I cast hot metal at 650 degrees where understanding how air is displaced is important.

I build my own computers and build my own electronics for both movie props and collecter models.

All of my life I have studied and repaired machines.

That is my background and why I feel I can understand these machines.

Rich

And there is more but I think I covered it.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - WakeUpTime - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 11:37 AM)racprops Wrote: That is my background and why I feel I can understand these machines.
Rich

Even though some might be overwhelmed by the content of some of your posts, and your directness, I've found them to be outstanding contributions.  Thank you racprops.

There are others here too that have also made extremely credible contributions, including but not limited to qwerty42 and btreger.  I wish there was a THUMBS-UP button to appreciate all those specific postings.

There are some, in their replies, that quickly brush off important contributions from you and others.  They either feel trapped to continue their defective device use, or refuse to believe they could be harmed in any way by a large medical device manufacturer, or they they have no stake in the game (not an actual Philips recalled device user).

Lastly, some believe everything not completely known as yet is merely a conspiracy.  There would be no inventions of any kind had there have been no individuals who investigated new possibilities and challenged the existing talk and advice from the most powerful players (e.g. Philips).  If we didn't investigate, analyze and propose, humans would likely still be living in caves.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - btreger - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 12:07 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Even though some might be overwhelmed by the content of some of your posts, and your directness, I've found them to be outstanding contributions.  Thank you racprops.

There are others here too that have also made extremely credible contributions, including but not limited to qwerty42 and btreger.  I wish there was a THUMBS-UP button to appreciate all those specific postings.

There are some, in their replies, that quickly brush off important contributions from you and others.  They either feel trapped to continue their defective device use, or refuse to believe they could be harmed in any way by a large medical device manufacturer, or they they have no stake in the game (not an actual Philips recalled device user).

Lastly, some believe everything not completely known as yet is merely a conspiracy.  There would be no inventions of any kind had there have been no individuals who investigated new possibilities and challenged the existing talk and advice from the most powerful players (e.g. Philips).  If we didn't investigate, analyze and propose, humans would likely still be living in caves.

I think it was a good idea to step back and remember the world is so much more complex and constantly changing than our own problems we are living with through this recall. That said, without any oversight or consumer protections and testing, we will be doomed to second guessing and fear from the manufacturers we have to rely on.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - racprops - 07-01-2021

Sadly I really trusted Phillips to make safe systems.

To find they making an unsafe hidden snick up on us unhealthy product was a major shock even for me who is a very cynical person by nature.

It is like finding out the Doctor who just did a major operation on you is losing his License.

And yes we all are STILL dealing with the virus which can and I believe will make a come back as so many are not vaccinated.

And I live in the southwest with decades-old dry drought...we are facing water shortages...I full am aware of the hundreds of problems we are facing.

None the less we now doomed to second-guessing and fearing the products from the manufacturers we have to rely on.

I really hope this will cause much more oversight and consumer protections and testing by (as much as I really hate to say this) Government...(I need to wash my mouth out)...I wish I could think of someone else but only the government has the power to enforce rules.

We have not learned they endangered our lives they are using a lot of dirty tricks to make our lives messy and to do the OLD Cover their own Backsides.

IF they really we good guys they would have had replacement housings and new machines READY when they made the announcement and we would be getting them NOW.

My 2 cents worth.

Rich

Thanks for your kind words.

I fully understand how many will react:

"There are some, in their replies, that quickly brush off important contributions from you and others. They either feel trapped to continue their defective device use, or refuse to believe they could be harmed in any way by a large medical device manufacturer, or they they have no stake in the game (not an actual Philips recalled device user).

Lastly, some believe everything not completely known as yet is merely a conspiracy. There would be no inventions of any kind had there have been no individuals who investigated new possibilities and challenged the existing talk and advice from the most powerful players (e.g. Philips). If we didn't investigate, analyze and propose, humans would likely still be living in caves.'

I have been having a hard time understanding my own sister, who does home care, and has a family with a bunch of grandchildren and they visit weekly who has not gotten a vaccine shot...or all of the other people who will not...many seem to believe it too is a conspiracy, one to implant nanobots that will A) make us slaves, B) change our DNA...or C) are the mark of the devil...

Or just unsafe...or worst that THEY do not need it.

I truly fear for us.

Rich

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Glen e - 07-01-2021

I have absolutely no problem anything you wrote, EXCEPT, I do think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater when you assume/proclaim that all the foams are bad. THAT VERY WELL COULD BE THE SITUATION, but we currently have no data to ironclad prove or disprove that. Until we get more data, I will continue to use my Resmed 10.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Waynetc - 07-01-2021

This is just an FYI  - Many of you have probably seen the videos posted by CPAP Reviews on YouTube run by an Australian fellow named Nick.  If you want another place, besides this great forum to peruse and discuss this awful situation, he also has a great Facebook group that you may wish to join.  The link to that group (and his newsletter) can be found in any of his videos. 

Ordered my Resmed 10 yesterday . Does not arrive till August - can't wait

Best wishes all.
Wayne

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - WakeUpTime - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 02:27 PM)Glen e Wrote: I do think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater when you assume/proclaim that "all the foams are bad"... Until we get more data, I will continue to use my Resmed 10.

Very much agree with that clarification of different manufacturers' (non-defective) foams.  Thank you for explicitly stating that.

I'm reading a lot that very much differentiates Philips' defective foam from the foam that several other manufacturers use.  What's more, for manufacturer's like ResMed to come out and precisely state that their foam (and foam placement) is indeed very different, would be setting themselves up for a significant liability if their words were later proven wrong.

At this time, as a result of the recent comments from ResMed, I would feel extremely confident (and anxiety-free) in using a ResMed system (if I was lucky enough to have one).

The last thing we would want is for other (non-Philips) PAP users to STOP using their non-defective PAP systems that are so vitally important in their treatment of sleep apnea.  

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - S.Thompson - 07-01-2021

Precisely Rich/racprops.

I was being uber sarcastic. There is no way on Gawd's green earth that shutting off the hot plate makes a nickel's worth of difference. I just find it so hard to believe that a doctor's actual recommendation is precisely that. Apparently the DME's and physicians are getting desperate out there. Sigh.

Respironics recall - Jazzmynn - 07-01-2021

I have no idea of what to do.
My drs office said to stop using it, but I can’t stop using my machine.
I ordered the inline filter, but I heard you can’t use them for more than a day.
Can anyone enlighten me?