Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS (/Thread-News-RECALL-THREAD-IMPORTANT-PHILIPS-DREAMSTATION-SYSTEM-ONE-USERS)

RECALLED DEVICES & CLEANING METHODS - WakeUpTime - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 02:04 PM)Shulamet Wrote: Did Phillips indicate if you did not use Ozone and  cleaned only with Respisoak, Dawn Baby Shampoo, etc...

It's my understanding that all recalled users are affected in some way, though SoClean users (or similar ozone cleaning product users who clean their internal blower unit) are significantly more affected by the faulty foam degradation.  Higher humidity, and higher heat, environments would also serve to degrade foam particles more rapidly.  Also, when it comes to SoClean and similar products, we are specifically talking about cleaning the INTERNAL parts of the xPAP system blower unit, where the foam is located.  

Any other methods of cleaning components (other than the main blowing unit) are not related to the recall.  There are other threads devoted to best cleaning practices that may help too.  Also, we should note that other ozone cleaning companies have continued to state that their ozone cleaning products are good for all non-system components (other than cleaning the internal blower unit).

It would seem that the Philips faulty foam has been in existence since 2007, though Philips would expect that system users would continuously upgrade their systems within five years.  Perhaps it was the rapid acceleration in foam degradation that internal device ozone cleaning products that forced Philips to recall the defective faulty-foam devices.  

In a way, non-SoClean users have SoClean to thank for showcasing the breakdown of Philips-specific problematic foam.  Similarly, it was those who smoked multiple packs of cigarettes each day who later helped casual smokers (and those breathing second-hand smoke) draw the connection between lung cancer and cigarettes.  Otherwise, the toxicity associated with a slow gradual foam decomposition (and corresponding cancer-causing chemical agents) would likely have been unconnected to Philips.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - SarcasticDave94 - 07-29-2021

(07-28-2021, 02:54 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Some folks have gotten better with this, but we still have a few who just don't seem to get it, so I'm going to post this 5 times so that no one can say "I didn't see it""

DO NOT USE THE "REPLY WITH QUOTE" function unless you absolutely have to!

See here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-NOTICE-Reply-with-Quote-DON-T-USE-IT-IF-YOU-DON-T-HAVE-TO

[Image: no-reply-with-quote.png]

What happens when people quote is what we have here, duplication of the post. Then the quotee posts a quote of the quoter, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on  and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

See the mess now? Just Say NO to Quote Abuse!

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - SarcasticDave94 - 07-29-2021

LookingForward, the ResMed ST-A may be just fine. Its version of AVAPS is called iVAPS. This will also be similar to actual NIVs Stellar and Astral. But those other 2 are in another class and a different HCPCS code than ASV and ST-A with the E0471 for ASV/ST-A and I think E0466 pertains to NIV class, like Stellar and Astral.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Glen e - 07-29-2021

Dave – in addition to raving about it on every page, can you just remove/gray out the quote button ?nobody needs to reply with a quote. In addition, have you put anybody on vacation or banned them for multiple infractions on this?

Your master administrator has this power, as I used to own a forum, I was using the same software and I could do it.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Crimson Nape - 07-29-2021

We had considered you ideas, but found we had better results when we sent two big ogres with sticks to your door and offer a reminder not to use it.  Big Grin

- Red

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - btreger - 07-29-2021

In an earlier post-Gideon in response to a question, made this statement, " Basically to replace your system asap but continue use, possibly with an online AB filter to catch any particles. Note: these filters are sensitive to humidity because it is a very fine filter and the humidity will 'clog' the filter so use without humidity (no water in humidifier)".

There have been many posts on the use of AB filters, and in online documents. Philips has stated that high humidity may contribute to foam degradation. I have not found, "no water in humidifier" documented anywhere. Of course, it makes perfect sense, the whole purpose of a water reservoir is to provide a comfortable amount of humidity to the user, and that they can control.  

The use of AB filters like I said has been discussed here over many posts. While writing this post I remembered reading something about the use of filters so I went back through a long list of documents.

This is what the FDA had to say,

• Filters will not help to reduce exposure to certain chemicals that may be released from the PE-PUR foam.

I am certainly not qualified to go any farther with this and will defer to more knowledgeable people.  

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Gideon - 07-29-2021

That is a reference to Degassing.

Not using a humidifier is an action to take when using the AB filter which except for the recall, is a fairly rare thing, . This is only to provide protection from degraded foam chunks on the recalled machines

I actually used an AB filter, with an O2 port. In the OR for my knee replacement.

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - btreger - 07-29-2021

Thank you, that makes perfect sense......

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - peewee44 - 07-30-2021

Removing the foam from the System One machine is relatively simple. No cutting is required because the foam surrounds the blower unit and is not encased in plastic. I checked out my foam and it was in good shape and not degrading. I washed it to remove some dust and replaced it in the machine.

Before replacing the foam in the machine I reassembled the machine without the foam and it was only a tiny bit noisier. So if your foam is degraded that is another option until the foam is replaced by Philips.

If you are sending the machine back to Philips as a part of the recall i would reinsert the degraded foam.

Remember the foam is only a sound reducer and not an active part of the air pump system.

My machine has about 11k hours on the clock  and is still fine.

There is a good video with instructions:

The title is

Philips CPAP Recall Foam Removal Guide  10:51

RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS - Glen e - 07-30-2021

Just saw my first tv commercial to join a class action suit for this debacle….the word is spreading…..