Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive (/Thread-AHI-over-34-mostly-obstructive)

Pages: 1 2 3

AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - saltydawg2 - 06-01-2021

I have had a cpap for several years, and have been a member of this forum about as long. My AHI was usually between 5 and 12. I haven't used any software to track it in about a year until downloading Oscar today.  This is what I have got going on. I now HAVE to sleep on my back, because I have congestive heart failure and can't sleep on side. I now have a hospital bed to raise my head and knees. My autoset S9 is set on minimum of 11.8 and maximum of 14. I have a FFM and can't seem to keep my mouth shut, even with straps. Very dry mouth. I would guess that I'm spending a lot of time maxed out. I need to make changes, but not sure where I need to start. I had 127 events of obstructive last night. Any help to head me in the right direction would be appreciated.

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - Melman - 06-01-2021

Please post OSCAR data ASAP. Without data it's difficult to provide advice. Please see the links below for instructions for organizing and posting your data.

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - saltydawg2 - 06-01-2021

[attachment=32607]

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - staceyburke - 06-01-2021

Are you using EPR? If so turn it off. That could help the centrals. I also think you have positional apnea. The obstructive apnea is clustered so I think you may need a collar. Please look at the link I have at the bottom of the page on collars.

Positional apnea can NOTbe helped with pressure changes. It can only be helped by not allowing your airway to be cut off.

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - Ratchick - 06-01-2021

Whoo boy, that's a lot of OAs. (Hi, welcome, by the way!)

The position thing may well require a collar if you now have your head raised, you're correct that you're spending most of your time close to, or at, max pressure. I also have a hospital bed and have to keep my head raised some, so I know it can be a lot harder to control where your head goes!

It does look as though you're using EPR and I agree, turn that off if you can (or at least down as far as possible) to try and reduce those centrals too, those aren't helping.

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - saltydawg2 - 06-01-2021

As suggested, I turned off the EPR. It was set on 3. If it doesn't work well off, I'll move it to 1. I will look at the collars, too. Thanks.

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - staceyburke - 06-01-2021

If centrals continue don’t raise EPR. You will need to reduce the difference between min and max pressure.

If you are just starting pap therapy your centrals will lessen as you get use to the therapy. It takes weeks to 2 months.

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - Gideon - 06-01-2021

Look at your head position, think flatter, but I too think you will need a collar, once you resolve that we can help with what remains

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - saltydawg2 - 06-02-2021

Thanks! I should get my collar/antisnore collar Thursday. I could immediately tell I had turned off the EPR last night. I'll follow replies, and update when something changes.

RE: AHI over 34 mostly obstructive - OpalRose - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 11:32 AM)saltydawg2 Wrote: Thanks! I should get my collar/antisnore collar Thursday. I could immediately tell I had turned off the EPR last night. I'll follow replies, and update when something changes.

You said you could immediately tell with the EPR off...  were  you uncomfortable with the EPR off?  Did it bring down the Clear Airway events?

Can you post a chart of last night with EPR off?

Also, once you start using the collar, we would like to see a chart of that one too. The Obstructives should come down.