Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN (/Thread-Dreamstation-2-Advanced-PIN)

Pages: 1 2

Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - JayCo - 06-04-2021

Howdy all - I'll admit I'm more of a lurker here, but wanted to make you all aware of what transpired this past week for me.

I purchased a Dreamstation 2 Advanced out of pocket from my DME this past Thursday.  When I got home, I noticed the respiratory therapist had set the machine for 5-20, though I'm more comfortable and have AHI's less than 1 consistently at 12-20.  She did nothing wrong in that she set the machine to my prescription, but using this forum and others I self-titrated to a much better AHI score. 

I attempted to enter the clinical menu on my machine (remember, one that I bought outright, so no insurance at all here) and found that the machine was locked via a PIN code.  I called the DME and asked if they could change the pressure to 12-20 rather than 5-20 and they said no, as the script was for 5-20.  They suggested that the machine will 'learn' me in a week or so and it'd start me higher, but I use the machine to get quality sleep, and I don't want to lose another week's sleep waiting.  Plus, this machine is a secondary machine as I spend my time 50% in two houses, so I want to be sure that I can match the machines when they or I want.  They also refused to give me the PIN code to change the settings myself.  So, I took matters into my own hands.

I broke through the pin code lock, and set the machine myself. ;Wink Wasn't too hard.

But, this AM, I get a call from my DME.  They can see that I broke through the pin code, and that I changed my settings.  They were letting me know that they actually called my doctor to report to the doctor that I changed my settings, and were requesting a new prescription at the new pressure.  

My doc's office hasn't called me yet, but just wanted people to know that they are watching us, with more scrutiny I think than before...

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?

Thanks!

RE: Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - Crimson Nape - 06-04-2021

Since you purchased this device outright, did you sign anything granting them access permission? If not, then they don't have any business connecting to your device.

RE: Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - JayCo - 06-04-2021

Negative, I did not sign anything other than the equipment receipt.

J

RE: Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - Sleeprider - 06-04-2021

You have the right to decline any testing, monitoring or procedures. It would be interesting to know exactly how you defeated the PIN code.

I'm loathe to put that info on a public forum, but check your messages.

RE: Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - Hydrangea - 06-04-2021

Does it have Airplane Mode that you can enable? I would think that would make it so they can't access your machine.

It does, but I hadn't thought of that when I first got it - and I had incorrectly figured that if I changed the pin they couldn't access it...  I'd have to have turned on airplane mode, and set things, and leave it, but them I have compliance check reports that might be a problem as I spend 50% of my time in one house and 50% in another.  Meaning, together I'm compliant, but individual machines will report that I am not.

Gotta love is...

j

RE: Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - SarcasticDave94 - 06-04-2021

Tell them to bug off. You bought it so order them to quit monitoring now!

RE: Dreamstation 2 Advanced PIN - Crimson Nape - 06-04-2021

Compliance doesn't mean jack, if insurance or DOT isn't involved.

Wouldn't continued compliance monitoring keep my ins company paying for supplies like hoses, masks, etc?

Thanks!
j