Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 (/Thread-Life-of-motor-exceeded-Resmed-S9)

Pages: 1 2

Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - Reptile - 06-07-2021

I woke up to this message today.  I've ordered an S10 to replace it but would like to repaire the S9 and keep as a backup.  Can anyone please recommend somewhere, preferably in Europe.  I'm in France.

How long have I got before it dies?

Can anyone advise if the battery I bought for my S9 will work with the S10, perhaps with a new lead?

Many thanks in advance, kind regards,

Mark

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - DaveL - 06-10-2021

I never had that message. I replaced my S9E with about 22,000 hours on it. It was still running.It had about 100 hours on it when I bought it used...

Question for others...can this warning be turned off in the clinician menu for the S9?

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - GrumpyHere - 06-11-2021

(06-07-2021, 03:04 PM)Reptile Wrote: would like to repaire the S9 and keep as a backup. 

There is nothing to repair. It is just a warning message. 
Go ahead and use it as a backup as is.

(06-10-2021, 09:27 PM)DaveL Wrote: I never had that message.  I replaced my S9E with about 22,000 hours on it. It was still running.It had about 100 hours on it when I bought it used...

Question for others...can this warning be turned off in the clinician menu for the S9?

As DaveL's machine shows there is not real way to determine how long the machine will last. 

The design use lifetime is supposedly 15k hours.

There is no way to stop the warning from showing.

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - DaveL - 06-11-2021

There was no warning set on my S9E.

If I remember right, the DME provider can use the Clinician's Menu to set reminders like "Change Filter", or "Change Mask" It would be easy for them to say that the machine's life expectancy had been reached.

When I got a new S10 my realization was:
* my treatment was much improved (using recommendations here)
* my new machine was quieter than my S9E was, so my sleep was better.

My regret was that I hadn't followed the recommendations made here. Participants had even shown the way. Following their advice I got a new apap "for her" machine. It's classified as a cpap in Ontario Canada. My S9E is set aside as a spare unit.

My old sleep-doc-from-h*ll had retired some years before. I found a new sleep doc who required a sleep study (10 years after my last one). He wrote the prescription for me.

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - Reptile - 06-13-2021

Many thanks for the informed advice and quality information.  I wrote to my supplier (in the UK) and they told me the message means I have exceeded about 21,900 hours or about 7.5 years of use.  I have had a couple of quotes for replacing the motor but it isn’t worth it as there are plenty of other components that can fail and each new model seems to offer a bit more so I decided to buy a new one.

I’m cleaning up my S9 and will use it as a back up that will hopefully have enough life to give me time to resolve any issues that apply to my new machine.  

My first cpap was a fixed pressure device that sounded like a jet engine but it changed my life.  I still have it somewhere.  My next was an S8 that was such an improvement.  I would often wake up with some very high pressure blowing past the mask and making a racket.  I would turn it off and back on and everything settled down.  I thought my S9 was as good as you can get.  Faultless for many years but new Airsense 10 Autoset is actually even better.  Unbelievably quiet, blissful sleep and very quick and easy to check the report.  Hopefully I’m set now for many years but I have an S9 backup, with an S8 backing that up and S (some low number I can’t remember) backing that up.

I am sleeping blissfully well at the moment and love my Resmed gear.

Thanks again to those who shared their knowledge and advice.

Thanks    Sleep-well

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - ICEMAN - 06-13-2021

[Commercial Link Removed] Search advanscpap Garden Grove, CA

Some people are not very diligent about replacing the air filters on these units or lose the air filter cover completely.  This will lead to dust contamination rather quickly.  Whistling or motor loudness will increase over time.  You will then need a replacement once the louder sound cannot be tolerated any longer.  We can repair your ResMed S9 CPAP with a new motor.  If you do change your filters on a regular basis the motor is designed to last about 24000 hours of usage.  That computes to over 8 years of running every night for 8 hours a night Once you hit that 24000 hour mark your machine will display "motor exceeded life - call service".  We can replace the S9 blower and this will correct the issue.

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - DaveL - 06-23-2021

Thanks ICEMAN. That's very helpful. I had 22,100 hours on mine when I replaced it. It's set aside as a spare now.

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - VGKfan - 07-18-2021

I have 27400 hours on my S9 and it is still running fine.

The message about exceeding motor life started to appear exactly 5 years after I started to use it.

I quickly realized that they were trying to scare me into getting a new machine. I'm not yet willing to spend the money for a new one, so I've decided to run it until it dies.

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - OpalRose - 07-18-2021

I think you are on borrowed time... Smile

At least have a plan on a replacement before it dies..

RE: Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 - HDCowboy - 07-18-2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3j7ybeKdQI