Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? (/Thread-Nasal-Pillows-vs-Nasal-Masks-which-worked-best-for-you)

Pages: 1 2 3

Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - CorruptAlligator - 06-20-2021

I just want to get some feedback by those have tried both, and which of them was more successful with the therapy.  

I used to use full face mask and recently got a nasal mask, the N20, and my therapy has worked out so much better better than the full face mask.  One issue that bothers me about the nasal mask is the leakage I get.  I cannot sleep on the side with the nasal mask as it causes leakage.  So, I'm looking into trying out the nasal pillows.

So, anybody has tried both (nasal pillows and nasal mask), can you tell me which has worked well for you, and what issues you've had?  Thanks.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - Ratchick - 06-20-2021

I haven't tried a pure nasal mask (just the hybrid/FF F30) but I have started playing around with the P10 - and genuinely it's like night and day. I personally found the nasal mask style seal a problem with leaks around the side of my nose, the silicone membrane would occlude my nostrils and make breathing harder if the mash shifted (which it did, a LOT) and I wish I could get hold of their older one that was a similar mouth mask with pillows instead of the nasal mask - especially as you could swap out the two pieces separately and get a more adjustable fit. The P10 is SO light I was convinced it would just blow off my face. The strap is super lightweight, the mask feels so light compared to the F20 and even the F30, the pillows are comfortable, and the only thing I find is that I'm still struggling to get used to not mouth breathing (I have to tape and chin strap to keep my mouth closed). It *is* a little noisier than the F20 and F30, but it's not enough to keep me awake. Likewise, I had fewer leaks from the P10 than I've had with the F30 but I suspect that's going to depend upon getting the correct size and shape to fit your nose well.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - nightgagger - 06-20-2021

I'm a mouth breather so keep this in mind.
I started with the N20 and used that until for about two years, and until I delved further into this forum to find out why I was not getting good leak values, but still getting low AHI, and a nagging suspicion that hardware and software were not correlating correctly.

Early on as well I tried the F30, but never really felt comfortable with a FFM. Then early this year I decided to make a more concerted effort to try to find the "perfect" mask.
Furthermore, I'm a supine sleeper...so that was an issue.

From the N20 I tried the F30i, since I liked the hybrid nature of that mask. I didn't have good luck with it, but haven't disposed of it, and may try it again in the future. Next I tried the Fisher & Paykel Simplus. That didn't work out at all.

Then I went back to N20 for a little bit, still issues with leakage and mouth breathing leaks, even though I was using tape to keep my mouth shut. I knew from one of my data collection nights that this combo and sleeping on my side produced some good results, but I still didn't have it dialed it. I then tried the N30i, loved the way it felt without the pressure on my nasal bridge, but couldn't really sleep on my side as it would leak.
Finally, I've tried the P30i pillows, since they mate with the N30i and it was just a $15 investment. At first it seemed to work really well, but not fully as I had soreness around the nasal openings, which necessitated that I get nipple cream for relief.
Eventually I got used to it and have used the P30i pillows. Furthermore, I now sleep on my side the whole night. It used to be that I would roll over on my back around 4 or 5 am...religiously, but now I find myself waking up on my side.
I still have to tape my mouth shut, although I'm getting the tongue to the roof of the mouth thing dialed in...I can do 30 minute naps without tape.

So after this long winded post, I've found that the P30i pillows work the best for side sleeping at this point in my sleep journey.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - hegel - 06-20-2021

I agree that an Airfit F30 with pillows would be great. I've been using this mask but have started to sleep on my side more and it leaks now. In desperation I went back to my beloved P10 with a neck collar and now with mouth taping. If I can get the leaks under control it's my favorite mask. I realize now that I need a new head strap though.

Meanwhile, I have a full face mask on the way to try out--the fischer and Paykel Vitera (?) which supposedly is great for limiting leaks. Recommended here.

The Airfit is/was a great mask too. sometimes I jsut need to swap out masks for a while,. then the old mask starts to work again.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - YipeekiOH - 06-20-2021

I started therapy with an AirFit F20 and got tired of it very quickly. Tried about 4 or 5 other masks and ended up with the AirFit P30i. Tried the AirFit N30i and didn’t like the cushion. It leaked like crazy and was so noisy my hard of hearing husband heard it blowing. Then ResMed just recently came out a new N30i cushion which is the cushion much like the P30i pillows (less hard plastic). I liked the new cushion but find that the P30i is what worked best. The first two weeks were tough…only because my nose was a red and sore. Alleviated it by using pure lanolin and Ayr Saline Nasal Gel inside my nose. I also boosted the humidity on my machine from 4 to 5 which helped a lot. The thing I like best is my leak rate is extremely low, my events have dropped (most of the time under 2), I can sleep on my side perfectly too. I also much prefer the hose on the top of the head vs in the front.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - SarcasticDave94 - 06-20-2021

I've tried the ResMed N30i first, then found out by switching to the P30i cushion, I'd have both. I think of the two I'd get used to the pillow P30i first.

BUT I mouth breathe lots and when relaxing while about to fall asleep, the Grand Canyon mouth opens. I didn't want tape or straps, so I tossed these on the stack of PAP stuff. I soon after found my go-to, the Fisher and Paykel Simplus, then Vitera. I'm full face at this time. No matter the mask, no airflow from the machine I've not gotten yet, so another matter another time.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - Geer1 - 06-20-2021

I have used P10, N20, P30i and N30i. Out of those the P10 was probably the best although the headgear is kind of annoying and stretches, I had issues with one mask that didn't vent as well as it should have which is something the odd P10 has. I had trouble with leaks on the N20 and a similar issue with F30 (which has similar design but adds mouth coverage), that nasal seal just isn't a good design for side sleepers imo. At first I liked the top hose mount on P30i and N30i but the venting and mask noise drove me to discontinue both, the P30i was my favorite of the two again because of better seal.

I have since seen that you can use an N30 headgear on a P10, the N30 headgear looks noticeably better. If I were you I would try the P10 out (might as well) and then you can order N30 headgear if it becomes your favorite mask and you don't like the P10 headgear.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - Ratchick - 06-21-2021

Oh, nice tip on the P10 with N30 headgear. I'll bear that in mind if this strap stretches out to an annoying level.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - Sleeprider - 06-21-2021

If you are getting leaks with the N20, try the Airfit P10 nasal pillows. I can sleep in any position and not experience leaks, noise or air venting onto my skin.

RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? - CorruptAlligator - 06-22-2021

Thanks for all the advice guys.

@Geer1, I tried your advice regarding going small with N20 cushion, and surprisingly it fits (tight fit, but it seems L, M, S are all pretty tight fits). I haven't gotten much leakage last night from side-sleeping.

Further down the road, I'll probably try out the P10, it does look comfy.

How do you guys know if you breath through you mouth? Do you get woken up?