Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine (/Thread-Is-The-Res-Med-s9-Voted-The-Best-Machine)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - Schnauzers 5 - 05-12-2013

If and when I get an opportunity to get a new machine ( mine is only 3 yrs old ) Is the Res Med s9 the most popular machine? I want to know the top of the line one with auto titrating of course and temp control, or what ever it is called. I want the most quiet and I also think it is a nice looking slim line one. I liked my first Res Med and found the face easier to read. I now have a Respironics which is fine. I think the mask is key. I also like the swift LT for her, or might try the newer even thinner straps and nice pillows. Naturally, I have the humidifier. I think all machines should come with them instead of a separate price. Who would want a c-pap without one? Just another way to make more money. To me, The s9 looks like the Rolls Royce of machines. I will also have an opportunity to use a different supplier for my equipment. Any DME is fine with me that calls and reminds me I need new pillows, headgear, etc and delivers quickly. The recent company I spoke to does not use my current supplier, as they like others more. Whatever woks is fine with me. Also, I don;t think my supplier works to get the better machines. If they can, you get the cheapest non titrating one if you don't know there is better out there. THIS FORUM filled me in on the better one to ask for. thank you!

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - PaulaO2 - 05-12-2013

In two years, when you are probably eligible for another, the S9 could possibly be replaced by the S10 (if they keep with that theme).

The S9 Autoset is not the Rolls Royce. It has issues.

The S9 series and the PRS1 series are very similar. The differences is in how it presents the information on the screen and their various quirks.

Archangel has an article on the various machines.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Archangle:Machine_Choices

But, remember, in two years, there will most likely be different, better machines. I'm not sure how often they come out with new machines.

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - zonk - 05-13-2013

(05-12-2013, 08:37 PM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: Is the Res Med s9 the most popular machine?
According to Supplier #1
PRS1 Auto is the most popular APAP
31% of APAP buyers choose PRS1 Auto
28% ......... IntelliPAP AutoAdjust
21% ......... S9 AutoSet
8% ........... F&P Icon Auto

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - dosleepflorida - 05-13-2013

As a physician specializing in sleep, I can tell you that the S9 machine is not my favorite. It has little to do with the algorithm or function of the machine itself and more with the completeness of the downloads and the software management system EasyCareOnline vs. Respironics EncoreAnywhere.

I tell most people, though, it is up to you. If having the machine that looks like the "Rolls Royce" makes you use it nightly, okay. I am not going to fight that. In terms of a machine that software tells me if you are waking up due to snoring, mouth opening, mask leak, etc... the ResMed S9 has a lot of room to grow... and who knows maybe with the S10 or whatever they choose to call it, they will have this worked out.

I also like the completeness of the Intellipap and the ICON FP machine.

Good luck in your choices.

- DO Sleep Solutions, Inc.
Dr. Zzzz....

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - SuperSleeper - 05-13-2013

(05-13-2013, 07:55 AM)dosleepflorida Wrote: As a physician specializing in sleep, I can tell you that the S9 machine is not my favorite. It has little to do with the algorithm or function of the machine itself and more with the completeness of the downloads and the software management system EasyCareOnline vs. Respironics EncoreAnywhere.

Hi dosleepflorida, welcome to Apnea Board. Good to hear your view on this. I think one of the reasons many of our forum members are going with the S9 AutoSet is because of the data analysis available with the ResScan software. EncoreAnywhere may be okay, but it's not freely available to end-users like ResScan is currently. It's true that SleepyHead is available for both newer ResMed and Philips-Respironics units, but it doesn't have all the functionality of ResScan and it's buggy and sometimes inaccurate.

Apnea Board stands for patient empowerment, where patients take a more active role in their own therapy - we've been asking CPAP manufacturers for years to develop good, solid and complete software that will allow patients to take a more active role in their therapy. ResMed is the only company that has come close to this by making ResScan available to patients (albeit by "hiding" the download links so they can claim legal protection in case a patient harms themselves while using the software for analysis).

Coffee

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - skyler - 05-13-2013

Every machine has it's fine points and bugs. It's hard to say what is the Rolls Royce of machines. I consider my ASV machine to be the Cadillac of machines because of the responsiveness of the machine. If you can swing an ASV go with that. Just an opinion. AUTO is a preferred therapy, but it didn't work for me. I found that the machine responded to apneas as it was supposed to by increasing the IPAP which then increased my apneas which then caused the machine to raise the pressure, causing more problems. I have to defer to others on algorithms and software. I rarely use my software, though I do check my numbers every week or so. I am 100% compliant and think that whatever features you need to be compliant should be on the machine you choose. You've got a couple of years to do research. Good luck.

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - DocWils - 05-13-2013

I asked at the Sleep Clinic at the Unispital, and the answer is: no, it is not the Rolls Royce of machines. There is no Rolls Royce. The right machine for the right problem is all that counts. Each machine has deficiencies, and has pluses. So there is no reason to favour the S9 over any other.

From what I can see (also as a doctor) there is nothing to tell me to choose one machine over another at the "top end" of their respective lines. Whichever is most comfortable to you is what counts most. There are some that report the S9 emits a high pitched hum when running, and several have been returned to the LL here. I can say that there are problems with each type of machine.

I also warmly welcome dosleepflorida, and hope that we will receive a continual stream of good advice from that quarter (and relieve me of feeling the responsibility to try and answer medical questions with advice drawn from my areas of medicine, which do not cover sleep medicine, alas).

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - Sleepster - 05-13-2013

The ResMed S9 machines and the Philips Respironics Series One machines seem to be the most popular. Each have their weaknesses and strong points.

One of the problems in trying to describe what someone should look for when selecting a machine is the dizzying array of models and options available.

There is no one-best machine for everyone.

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - oldteddybear - 05-13-2013

The best is to go to a DME that will allow you to try each of the units that are available to find the one that fits you the best. For me, The algorithm that fits my breathing style was the S9 and I just cannot use the prs1 as the machine tries to change my breathing patterns. But I have a friend that is the complete opposite.

As for the humidifier, I think that all machines should come with one, but not always connected. I travel with mine and when in a vehicle I do not use the humidifier, nor do I use it any time I am Battery powered. The unit just draws too much power.

RE: Is The Res Med s9 Voted The Best Machine - zonk - 05-13-2013

(05-12-2013, 08:37 PM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: To me, The s9 looks like the Rolls Royce of machines.
+1