Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged? (/Thread-Cheynes-Strokes-Respiration-Flagged)

Pages: 1 2

Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - asuter060514 - 07-06-2021

Last night my machine flagged some breathing toward the end of my sleep cycle as CSR breathing. It looks very similar to a lot of the breathing I experience throughout the night. My numbers are fine overall (higher the last two days over 2 AHI for the first time in a week) but I've also been really, really tired while on vacation. I also dreamed that I needed to raise my lower pressure and have had some pretty intense REM rebound the last two nights after not sleeping much for about a week during our two week vacation.

Anyway, here are some screenshots.

RE: Cheyennes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - Gideon - 07-06-2021

1. That is NOT CSR. ResMed calls ALL periodic breathing, which this is, This is showing some signs of CO2 induced breathing but not enough to be a problem.

RE: Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - asuter060514 - 07-06-2021

Can you please explain CO2 induced breathing?

RE: Cheyennes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - Gideon - 07-06-2021

On pressures,
Start by increasing your EPR by 1.
Evaluate which settings feel better.

BTW I would move min pressure to 7 just to allow room for EPR=3 to work.

I'll change that now. I currently have EPR at 1 with 6-14 as my pressure.

RE: Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - Crimson Nape - 07-06-2021

asuter060514 - CO2 buildup triggers your body to take a breath.  Hyperventilating, or using EPR, can cause CO2 washout.  This will prevent you from triggering a breath.

So, should I increase EPR to 2 or leave it at 1 or even just turn it off? Could the CO2 breathing be the reason I feel a bit stuffy in the gut in the mornings.

RE: Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - Crimson Nape - 07-06-2021

Increasing the EPR value will cause the CO2 washout to be greater.  Likewise, lowering it will reduce the washout. I might add; The use of EPR aids in the reduction of flow limitations. That is why the EPR feature is analogous to a double-edged sword. Lowering the EPR will reduce CAs, but increase flow limitations, and raising it can increase CAs while lowering flow limitation. It is a trade-off type of setup. Disclaimer; Not everyone experiences this, but the potential is there.

RE: Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged? - Gideon - 07-06-2021

If EPR turns out negative for you we can just dial it back, no real problem.
You are showing hypopneas and flow limits both of which will benefit from a higher EPR. Neither is "Bad"
I suspect that the higher min of 7 will help more and you will likely need to go higher. This will help you feel better if you are typical. "bit stuffy in the gut" could be too low of a pressure.

(07-06-2021, 09:42 AM)Gideon Wrote: If EPR turns out negative for you we can just dial it back, no real problem.
You are showing hypopneas and flow limits both of which will benefit from a higher EPR.  Neither is "Bad"
I suspect that the higher min of 7 will help more and you will likely need to go higher.  This will help you feel better if you are typical. "bit stuffy in the gut" could be too low of a pressure.

Great! Yeah, my centrals are very high with EPR higher than 1. I’m pretty comfortable with pressure of any level now. 10 or higher used to feel like a lot, but now I can barely tell it’s on. I’m going to leave my EPR at 1 and try increasing pressure to 7 for now.