Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Another Water Question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Another Water Question (/Thread-Another-Water-Question)

Pages: 1 2 3

Another Water Question - TomR60 - 07-06-2021

I've seen lots of people stating that using distilled water in their machine's humidifier is overkill, and use tap water instead without any issues to the machine or to themselves.  Of course, using straight tap (or "hard") water may mean that the tanks would need the vinegar treatment to get rid of the mineral deposits.  But I haven't seen the answer to this one (or at least one I can find easily):

Anyone using conditioned (or "soft") water in their machines?  Any issues with a reaction to the heating plate, funny smells, discomfort, or any other issues?

My thanks in advance.

RE: Another Water Question - Big Guy - 07-06-2021

I started out using distilled water. That grew old after a few months. I now use tap water and it's not a big deal. If some mineral deposit should build-up, some white vinegar will quickly rid it. I'm talking just 15-20 min. of soaking is all. 

And, it leaves a nice smooth finish on the tank bottom. I'm thinking that vinegar has some germ killing and anti-bacterial effects as well. 

Our water is hard, lots of calcium. I empty and wipe out the tank each morning. About once every 10 days or so, I use some vinegar. Easy peasy!!  Bigwink

RE: Another Water Question - staceyburke - 07-06-2021

If your water is drinkable it is fine for your humidifier.

RE: Another Water Question - mesenteria - 07-06-2021

Softened water merely has salt switched out for other ions.  Or rather, sodium...not NaCl.  You shouldn't drink softened water, if possible, but you can certainly use it to very good effect, and very cheaply, in your machine's reservoir.

Probably the one best bit of advice I can give anyone reading this now or in the future is to use water that your municipality provides at the taps.  If it's safe to drink, it's safe to use in your humidifier.  The advice, though, is to simply empty the chamber and refill it daily.  This way, the minerals in un-softened water, no matter who provides it to you, will not concentrate sufficiently and begin to form solids that adhere to the inner surfaces of the chamber.

Use local tap water.  Empty the reservoir daily and replenish the supply daily.  That's it!

RE: Another Water Question - GuyScharf - 07-06-2021

I now use softened water (I used to use reverse osmosis water). I drain and rinse the humidifier tank daily. The metal plate on the tank continues to look like new.

If I boil the tank dry, there will be a thin layer of potassium salt (we use potassium on our water softener). The salt dissolves very quickly when water is put in the tank so it's no work to remove.

RE: Another Water Question - TomR60 - 07-06-2021

Thank you, everyone!!

Thanks

RE: Another Water Question - SarcasticDave94 - 07-06-2021

Yep really any water that's drinkable can go in the humidifier. I suppose coffee could go in as well, but that probably is going to defeat the sleeping better purpose of a PAP.

Coffee

RE: Another Water Question - edfreeman - 07-06-2021

I use RO water from one of those undersink drinking water systems, installed a valve and bypass line ahead of the filter that adds "good" minerals back into the water for drinking to fill up my gallon water jug for the CPAP. About once a month I clean the tank in the sink with Dawn, heating plate and walls will have a "slippery feel" to them if I don't. Wondered about that, so I bought a 99 cent distilled water jug from the grocery and used that and noted the same slippery feel, haven't worried about it since. I get no deposits, just that. The RO water has 3-4 ppm of particulates in it, distilled has zero (of course), my tap water has 150-160.

Do what you want considering the convenience to maintenance ratio. I already had the drinking water system, and it was just a few bucks to put in the bypass. In addition to the CPAP, SWMBO had an evaporator/mister for a fake fireplace to make it appear "realistic" and a humidifier running downstairs, so we were using some distilled water and this was convenient. Tap water is fine, too, very high convenience factor, more maintenance.

RE: Another Water Question - theunk - 07-06-2021

That slippery feel is organic slime. While the RO water is relatively pure, the air that passes over it is not. This slime will also start coating (invading) your hose and will progress towards your mask and…
I had my experiences before heated humidification, but I can’t think it would make any difference.

RE: Another Water Question - Melman - 07-07-2021

The slime is a biofilm of non-pathogenic bacteria. It can be removed with mild detergent followed by peroxide. I have a heated hose. I occasionally get the slime in my reservoir but never in my hose. The organisms require a wet surface to grow.