Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Emergency battery options - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Emergency battery options (/Thread-Emergency-battery-options)

Pages: 1 2 3

Emergency battery options - buddy0329 - 07-14-2021

Analysis paralysis time.  I ordered the Resmed DC-DC converter for my AS10.  Trying to figure out the battery thing now.  I read through an excellent DIY thread over on another cpap forum and been trying to learn.

Identified options:
  • AGM SLA 12v battery 35ah - 55ah = $80 - $150.  Plus charger & battery box.
  • LifePO4 12v battery 30ah -  50ah = prices all over the map, from $175 up to $500. Plus charger & battery box.
  • Portable solar "generator" dozens of these imports on Amazon (Jackery Bluetti, etc).  300WH - 700WH can be had for $250 - $500.  Higher end ones are LifePO4 not Lithium Ion.  Nothing to put together, includes USB ports, and built- in AC inverter.  Safer?

Thoughts?

RE: Emergency battery options - GeoffD - 07-15-2021

It depends on how you expect to use it.  I bought the Resmed DC power brick, an AGM scooter battery, and a Battery Tender Junior. I have the battery tender and a connector for the DC power brick permanently attached to the battery terminals and have it all in a canvas bag that zips.  I plug the battery tender in once in a while to top up the battery.  I don’t care about portability since it’s mostly for power outages.  I have a real battery charger in the garage so I have the technology to charge it quickly somewhere with power if there’s an extended power outage.  I also have a couple of group 24 marine batteries on the boat I could grab if necessary. 

I use the AGM battery on the boat occasionally to preserve the marine batteries.  

I don’t take overnight flights so I don’t need an expensive portable lithium battery setup.  From Boston, there are morning flights to London-Heathrow so I can avoid red eyes.  I’ve flown to Asia business class where I had 110v power at the seat and just turned off the humidifier heater.

RE: Emergency battery options - Nightynite - 07-15-2021

I bought the Golabs r300 from Amazon 299wh( there out of stock now) it has the LifePO4 battery.
I bought mine about a month ago when they had the $100 off coupon. Got it for $200.
With my A10, no humidifier and the converter cord I can get 4 nights at 8 hrs a night with 11 % of the battery left. It weighs 8 lbs and the company recently sent me a carry case as a gift.
Be patient and grab one of these when there back in stock. They go quick so be fast.

[attachment=33799]

RE: Emergency battery options - Bill Messmer - 08-07-2021

GeoffD, I have been following the discussion on emergency Battery options. Let me try to get this straight. If I were to buy a Battery, AMG, LifePo4 or Gel. That has a 30-50AMP HR at 12 Volt rating it would power an Air Sense 10 for one night. Of cource because of the minimum discharge, of say 20% LifePo4 are your best choice.  So two CPAP units require two battery's. Now you need some way to recharge them. I am driving cross country in an RV, That has a Gas powered Generator, but I do not know if I should be running it while I am driving, I do not have Solar panels but they would be an option. But the sun does not always shine and we need the CPAPS. We will be near shore power for a full night every tow days or so. Where we can use the 110 Volt shore power to run the CPAPS while we recharge the battery's.  I read that certain Solar/Generators. Bluetti,Jackary,GOLABS. are all made to give two nights of CPAP use and still have some capacity left. I'm not sure what is believable in the Adds. If this is true of any of them and they could be recharged on shore power every two days that would work with out having to depend on the Sunshine. Do you have any thoughts or preferences amoung the names mentioned? Or should I get a LifePo4 50AMP HR 12 Volt battery put two 200Watt solar panels on the roof with a solar charge/controller and pray for a lot of sunshine?  Your thoughts Please

RE: Emergency battery options - StevesSp - 08-07-2021

My setup for camping, designed to permit the use of the humidifier with my Airsense, utilises a 130AH deep-cycle AGM battery. This allows ca. 45amp drain per night. I have recently added a solar panel charging setup so that i can turn the humidity up when required and/or camp for more than two nights.

The only improvement I could make would be to swap the huge and heavy AGM battery for a lighter lithium equivalent, but can't really justify the expense at the moment, especially as I never hike.

RE: Emergency battery options - hegel - 08-07-2021

Nightynite: so...if I charge the Golabs r300 ..and the power goes out...I can merely plug my Resmed airsense 10 into this battey, and it will work. Correct?

I ask because years ago I bought another battery and it didn't work with my machine at the time.

We'll likely have fire caused black outs here soon. I'm technically incompetent. I want something simple and straight forward. I don't want converters and all the rest if possible. But you mention a converter cord that sounds simple???

Thanks in advance!

edit: the golabs r300 204 wh is available now is this your unit?

GOLABS Portable Power Station, 204Wh LiFePO4 Battery with PD 60W USB C and QC 3.0, 110V/160W

RE: Emergency battery options - hegel - 08-08-2021

I'm bumping this and would like to ask anyone if this battery will be compatible with a Resmed airsense auto. And of it will require an adapter or cord, and what that would be. I'm electronically challenged and would like something simple, ideally--plug in a go.

https://www.amazon.com/GOLABS-Portable-Phosphate-Generator-Emergency/dp/B08NSYCZD4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=19J2CQZJ3EI8Y&dchild=1&keywords=golabs+r300+299wh+lifepo4&qid=1628449550&sprefix=golabs+r300+299w%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-3

RE: Emergency battery options - Crimson Nape - 08-08-2021

You will be better off to get a 12/24 volt DC power supply for your Resmed when using battery power. When using an inverter, you lose a lot of energy converting to AC then back to DC. I've been using a KFD DC 90 watt power supply for the AS10 for several years. It is for sale on Amazon for $37 USD.

RE: Emergency battery options - hegel - 08-08-2021

Crimson nape, do you mean purchase the inverter along with this battery? Or something else? I'm seeing this as labelled for Resmed machines.

edit: Nightynite is suggesting this unit is underpowered, at least compared to his. Sorry to be so dense but this stuff is Greek to me.

RE: Emergency battery options - Crimson Nape - 08-08-2021

What you listed is an inverter in order to get to the 110VAC. Its runtime will be about half of what it would be if you used its native 12 volt supply.