Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? (/Thread-Anybody-have-LPR-or-LPRD-What-worked-for-you-to-sleep-better-at-night)

Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? - CorruptAlligator - 07-18-2021

I'm starting to realize my issue really stems from LPR, or silent reflux.  I notice mucus build-up or lump in my throat that's I can't get rid of by swallowing during bed time.  I get a feeling that it's the reason why I wake up in the middle of the night, and sometimes I cannot get back to sleep for awhile.  Lately, the issue has become chronic. I'm waking up multiple times a night. Based on seeing other's with such issues, AHI (provided by the CPAP machine) doesn't seem to correlate to quality sleep.

Some nights it feels like something is in my throat, and some other nights, I have sinus congestion issues. 

For those that has been diagnosed with LRP, or LPRD, what have you done to improve your sleep quality? Did you have to change your diet? Figure out what is causing the LPR? Did PPI help or get rid of it? I've been told that some people can get rid of LRP with 2 weeks of PPI treatment.

RE: Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? - stanleydean - 07-18-2021

HI Gator, several years ago I was diagnosed with acid reflux and Barrett's Esophagus and my physician prescribed Nexium which I did and still do take daily. You can find, via Google, some suggestions, mostly involving food and drink, that might help your condition. However, have your physician check this condition, that is most important. 
In spite of ignoring recommendations to avoid caffeine my reflux and Barrett's have been pretty well controlled and do not seem to interfere with my CPAP therapy. 
Don't forget to get this checked out by your physician. Wishing you the best, Stan

RE: Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? - CorruptAlligator - 07-18-2021

I had an ENT diagnose me for LPRD, and prescribed PPI and Flonase. Is there any other specialties I can see about this condition? Sleep doctor doesn't seem to be the right one for this condition.

RE: Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? - pkersey - 07-18-2021

I'm dealing with Nasopharyngeal Reflux (NPR) so similar.

You should be aware that there is a fair amount of controversy over whether PPIs do anything for LPR. They do work for GERD but if you google PPis and silent reflux you'll see that some docs think PPIs don't help at all with silent reflux

I don't have answers other than that right now.

RE: Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? - Geer1 - 07-19-2021

Mine greatly improved after I realized I had a dairy intolerance (determined by doing food elimination diets) and cut out dairy. It is still present but nowhere near what it was (chronic cough, phlegm etc). I just had a upper GI (barium xray) done so will be interesting to see if that shows anything (no results yet).

I have found my doctors to be mostly useless on LPR. All they have tried is PPIs which are controversial at best when it comes to LPR. Most of the studies on the matter do not support PPI use for LPR unless GERD (heartburn symptoms) are also present. The "functional medicine" crowd seems to believe that many LPR (and GERD) cases are actually due to low acid content instead of high acid and there seems to be some anecdotal evidence that this is true for some people. There is a baking soda test you can try to see if acid level is low and if it is then what many of these people recommend is to drink apple cider vinegar. I have thought about trying this but haven't yet, I did do the baking soda test which seemed to indicate that acid content might be low (I am going to retry it again one of these days). The theory is that because acid levels are low esophageal sphincters relax and let backflow occur, this might make sense with LPR which I have read is mostly cause by pepsin (an enzyme) rather than acid.