Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Product Review] VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Product Review Forums (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Product-Review-Forums)
+---- Forum: Other Product Reviews (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Other-Product-Reviews)
+---- Thread: [Product Review] VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar (/Thread-Product-Review-VELPEAU-Neck-Brace-Foam-Cervical-Collar)

Pages: 1 2

VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - zzzZorro - 08-14-2021

<search Amazon> VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - Soft Neck Support Relieves Pain & Pressure in Spine - Wraps Aligns Stabilizes Vertebrae - Can Be Used During Sleep           NOTE:  Be careful with a search- at the time of this writing Amazon is NOT going to the correct product. VELPEAU makes several versions of collars be sure you get the right one (Picture) if you order one. They have four sizes of this model available.
[attachment=34787]

This X-Large is used as an example with reference to my neck which is 15 3/4 inches.  I will explain further below.

Brief background: Had a heart attack and two stints.  At least in my mind the heart attack was brought on by sleep disturbance. <subject to argument I suppose> Miserable sleep, up about every hour to urinate.  October 2017- Sleep study 38.8 AHI  mixed apnea.  Only thing a sleep doctor did for me was prescribe PAP machine nothing else worthy of praise.  Went through trying to use four different Res-Med machines and many different masks and cervical collars.  Got help and encouragement from Apnea Board after doctor and DME supplier failed miserably.  What was suggested as the only remedy was an ASV machine but medical wisdom barred it from any patient who was not over 45% LVEF, I was under that threshold at the time.  The best opportunity for treatment I could have prescribed to me was a B-PAP.  

Several knowledgeable members kept suggesting trying cervical collars.  As tinkering with machine adjustments only produced small plus/minus results I tried at least half dozen different cervical collars.  Tolerable in the winter for the most part but very hot in the summer.  The one used prior to this one was a soft collar (Caldera ReLEAF) which was really hot in the summer but comfortable in the winter.  I would get fairly good- then poor results with it and AHI.  It was so soft, my jaw would not stay in place and the OA's would jump.  When I ordered the VELPEAU model reviewed here I almost sent it back- what an uncomfortable beast!  I kept it and it set on the shelf until I got good and tired of the ReLeaf so I gave it a whirl. 
It did take some getting used to, but I discovered using it complete with the rigid plastic overlay in place was the way to go.  Mine is big enough to wear LOOSE so air can circulate somewhat behind it and its rigidity the jaw in place and the mouth mostly closed.  This is why it works so well for me and luckily I got it large enough to wear it loose so it is still comfortable and much cooler.

This took FOUR (4) YEARS TO ACHIEVE, using a machine that was NOT optimal for my condition but persistence apparently did pay off.
[attachment=34793]

Keep in mind that what works for one person is poison to another in this apnea realm so don't argue, just accept this as MY story. 

<side-note> I must use a full face mask as it is the only way to seal my mouth and stop the always present annoying/disturbing mask squeaks and pfarts.  Along the mask vein, I have used MANY trying to find one that does not leak at the high (24 in) pressures and does not irritate my face and leave red marks.  I have settled on a controversial ResMed Air-Fit F30. 
The key to stopping it squeaking is running a long air hose behind the headboard and over the top from behind.  No more leaks at the nose seal and strap tightness is still minimal.

All this crazy journey would be catalogued in a search of zzzZorro posts on our very own APNEA BOARD should you be curious.

Cheers Z

Wrong search results? - zzzZorro - 08-15-2021

I have no idea why Amazon search: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - Soft Neck Support Relieves Pain & Pressure in Spine - Wraps Aligns Stabilizes Vertebrae - Can Be Used During Sleep (Dual-use, Brown, X-Large, 4″) goes to the wrong place.  Maybe it is a temporary glitch or maybe out of stock and just does not say so- who knows!

Here is what it Should display:

[attachment=34815]

[attachment=34816]

Oh-jeez

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - Sleeprider - 08-15-2021

Thanks for the review. Under the revised Apnea Board rules, you may post a link to this product, as long as it is not to a prescription required item or DME. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Admin-Note-FORUM-RULES-UPDATE-most-commercial-links-now-allowed Again, thanks for reporting on what worked for you.

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - zzzZorro - 08-31-2021

Sorry for that- I just bought another of these (VP 203) a couple months earlier and figured Amazon was just out of stock.  Searching around more, it appears maybe VELPEAU no longer makes this model?  THIS WEBSITE shows another model in detail with an insertable plastic piece to make it rigid (as the one I noted above).
Possibly this is their replacement model for the VP203.  If so it will be the replacement I will be ordering. 
Seems it is rated a smidge more comfortable and not quite as supportive on their site by half-stars.

I believe the VELPEAU neck braces are about the best quality out there, and I have tried a bunch over the years!

HMMM.. Appears the site may be selling from the Russian Federation but it at least gives a window of information on the product. Perhaps anyone who discovers one of these two models for sale otherwise might post the website for others? THANKS

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - zzzZorro - 09-27-2021

Referred from: Pricepulse

Goes Back to AMAZON website.

OR search Amazon with this: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - Soft Neck Support Relieves Pain & Pressure in Spine - Wraps Aligns Stabilizes Vertebrae - Can Be Used During Sleep (Dual-use, Brown, Medium, 3″)

Do not know why but it is difficult to locate with a regular search on the Big-A. Cheers!

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - CorruptAlligator - 09-30-2021

There's 4 different types from this link. You only tried the Dual use type? https://www.amazon.com/Velpeau-Brace-Foam-Cervical-Collar/dp/B072Q9QG68

Have you ever tried the typical generic cervical collars? I found the Caldera not stiff enough for support. Is Velpeau better than the typical generic cervical collars in anyway? Why choose Velpeau over them if they provide good support as well?

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - zzzZorro - 09-30-2021

Actually I have tried many other soft collars, soft and hard- tall and short, and everything in between- maybe 6-10 over the last four years.

As I said, people have different preferences/requirements so I only speak for myself.  I sleep hot.  Something wrapped around my neck insulates me and I overheat.  Likewise even though I favor cool humidity, I cannot get that as raising the humidity in the water tank also raises the air temperature- so that has to be kept to a minimal setting (limiting humidity). I use a full-face (generally disliked) ResMed Air-Fit F30 mask.

Also as said, my first impression of this product was not good and I almost sent it back.  It was seeming too resilient and the plastic overlay support seemed to be overkill for an obstructive apnea device.  Turns out I was wrong (for me anyway).  Luckily I got a X-large-size so I could velcro it loose- with the overlay support in place.  I am one who's mouth/jaw automatically flops open when I drift off and this has been the ONLY device that I find comfortable, cooler than the rest (cause it's loose enough for some air to get behind) and still rigid enough to keep my jaw from flopping open.

Again, this is just me and I am not trying to increase anyone's bottom line sales.  Hopefully someone else here has been struggling with the same symptoms/requirements and it possibly could work as well for them also.  I (myself) found $20 a reasonable gamble for a good night's sleep and it happened to work out for me.
Cheers!

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - CorruptAlligator - 10-04-2021

I recently got these, and large size actually fits me fine. It is longer length than advertised.

The only difference from typical collars I see with the VELPEAU are:

1. color, typical ones are white
2. Shape. it's not the typical shape. The middle portion curves downwards on both (top and bottom) sides. The typical ones have the top middle portion that caves down only, and the bottom is flat.
3. The middle plastic reinforcement. This doesn't seem necessary because this collar uses foam inserts like your typical collars.

I don't see how this collar is any cooler than typical collars. It's made of same material, and other collars are sold in very larges sizes as well.

The only difference maybe beneficial is the shape (That's the only distinct difference I notice), and will see how the shape works for me.

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - zzzZorro - 10-04-2021

ALLIGATOR: Read my posts on this thread and notice "FOR ME" throughout.  Apparently you do not agree with my statements and I have no intention of convincing you otherwise.  Conversely why should I change my procedure when my AHI's have improved greatly- even down to ZERO?  
Analyze it all you want but "That's all I have to say about it" <per:Forrest Gump> zzzZORRO

RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - CorruptAlligator - 10-05-2021

I understand it works well 'FOR YOU' and may or may not work as well for others.

Another difference I found VELPEAU is that it's the softer kind of foam insert, and it's sectioned off into two section. The reinforcement strap can be detached if wanting some flexability.

Personally, it did not work better than a typical collar. It was due to the 2nd characteristic that I've mentioned above.

2. Shape. it's not the typical shape. The middle portion curves downwards on both (top and bottom) sides. The typical ones have the top middle portion that caves (see image above, the middle portion curves downward more than typical collar)

This allows for chin to lower more even if the depth is higher. So, it's not much different from a collar of lower depth, or height. Like a VELPEAU 3.3" would be equivalent to a 2.5" with a different design since it allows for chin to come down more.