Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Accuracy and interpretation of Oscar data - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Accuracy and interpretation of Oscar data (/Thread-CPAP-Accuracy-and-interpretation-of-Oscar-data)

Accuracy and interpretation of Oscar data - sleeps - 08-17-2021

[attachment=34877][attachment=34876]

Hi all

My diagnosis is quite new and I'm still trying to figure things out. According to my machine (resmed airsense 10) my AHI is usually between 1 and just over 3. Recently, my doctor had me take another sleep study with a watchpat device to see how the machine worked. It was a particularly bad night, I dont know why, but my AHI was 4.9 so about twice as high as usual and lots of clustered events on Oscar data which is unusual. But when the watchpat report came back, it said my AHI was 25. Of course the CPAP can't measure things all that accurately, but I am now wondering how reliable it is at all? If it normally says 1.5 or 2, should I assume that's wrong, and by what order of magnitude? I can't see my doctor again for a long time (time and expense reasons) so would be grateful for any insight.

Secondly if necessary/helpful a representative sample from oscar is attached, but I dont know how to interpret it or what to do with the information.

Thanks so much!

RE: Accuracy and interpretation of Oscar data - Gideon - 08-17-2021

Welcome to the forum. Would you post the watchpat data please. Were the Watchpat and AutoSet used
the watchpat simultaneously? If so that is very unusual. What mode are you using?
I assume this report is without the watchpat.

This report is showing mild clustering which implies a form of positional apnea we refer to as chin tucking. I'm guessing it was worse on the night you used the watchpat. When this occurs typically no amount of pressure can correct it. Here it is something I'd like you to watch. The Fix can be as simple as a pillow modification, using a flatter or less firm pillow, or one pillow instead of two. If it is worse, especially significantly worse, a soft cervical collar would help a lot. Seey signature for a writeup.

On accuracy, we find the devices to be more than accurate enough to adjust settings and optimize your treatment.

On accuracy, all PAP machines tend to under report flow limitations, sometimes significantly. Different brands use different algorithms to detect events, obviously this then this provides different results.

My assumption is that you are NOT using the for her mode. This assumption is made on the fact that your min pressure is above that where the for Her mode would be active.

Post a redacted copy of all your sleep studies including the charts and tables, not just the summaries.

Your numbers are good. I want to see more info on your clusters before recommending you get a collar. I also want to see what you come up with just in pillow modifications.
Most importantly, more important than your numbers is how do you feel. Please be critical on this. It is aweful hard to correct Ii feel fine.

RE: Accuracy and interpretation of Oscar data - sleeps - 08-17-2021

Thank you so much for this - I really can’t tell you how grateful I am because I used a different pillow last night and my AHI was 0.7 - I’m amazed at what a difference it makes! I think I’m just going to try out this pillow for a while and see if it solves my lingering problems - as you say as long as I consistently feel good I’ll be happy. Thank you!!