Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option (/Thread-error-building-OSCAR-from-source-unknown-warning-option)

Pages: 1 2 3

error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - timpani - 09-11-2021

Hi, I am trying to build OSCAR from source following the instructions at https://gitlab.com/pholy/OSCAR-code/-/blob/master/Building/MacOS/BUILD-mac.md  I'm running on an Intel Mac with Big Sur. When I get to the step to run "make" I get the following 

build@mac-0 build % make
/bin/bash /Users/build/git/OSCAR-code/oscar/update_gitinfo.sh
/Users/build/git/OSCAR-code/oscar/../Building/MacOS/finalize_plist /Users/build/git/OSCAR-code/oscar OSCAR.app/Contents/Info.plist
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/daily.ui -o ui_daily.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/overview.ui -o ui_overview.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/mainwindow.ui -o ui_mainwindow.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/oximetry.ui -o ui_oximetry.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/preferencesdialog.ui -o ui_preferencesdialog.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/newprofile.ui -o ui_newprofile.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/exportcsv.ui -o ui_exportcsv.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/oximeterimport.ui -o ui_oximeterimport.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/profileselector.ui -o ui_profileselector.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/aboutdialog.ui -o ui_aboutdialog.h
/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/bin/uic ../oscar/welcome.ui -o ui_welcome.h
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/clang++ -c -pipe -stdlib=libc++ -Werror -Wno-error=stringop-overread -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -O2 -std=gnu++11  -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -Wall -W -fPIC -Dhelpless -DQT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS -DLOCK_RESMED_SESSIONS -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_PRINTSUPPORT_LIB -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_SERIALPORT_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I../oscar -I. -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtPrintSupport.framework/Headers -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtOpenGL.framework/Headers -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtWidgets.framework/Headers -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtGui.framework/Headers -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtNetwork.framework/Headers -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtXml.framework/Headers -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtSerialPort.framework/Headers -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib/QtCore.framework/Headers -I. -I/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers -I/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Headers -I. -I../../../Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/mkspecs/macx-clang -F/Users/build/Qt5.12.8/5.12.8/clang_64/lib -o checkupdates.o ../oscar/checkupdates.cpp
error: unknown warning option '-Werror=stringop-overread' [-Werror,-Wunknown-warning-option]
make: *** [checkupdates.o] Error 1

My clang version:
Apple clang version 11.0.3 (clang-1103.0.32.62)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - Crimson Nape - 09-11-2021

Are you using Qt Creator? If so, did you turn off the "PreCompile" option? Overall, I had better luck doing a command line build than I did using Creator. Also, I gave up on Big Sur and used Mojave to build the Mac version. There seems to be permission settings in Big Sur that I'm not aware of.

Good luck. I hope you find the problem.

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - timpani - 09-11-2021

I was using command line.  I did not venture into building it through Qt Creator.

I have an older 2015 Mac that has been upgraded already to Big Sur.  Is there a trick to installing Mojave?  Usually Apple doesn't let us install what we want.  I understand I will have to wipe it--that's fine.  There was a boot option that would allow you to install the OS that came with it which would be older than Mojave and I have not tried it recently.  Sierra maybe.

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - Crimson Nape - 09-11-2021

I have a Linux box that I run Catalina, Mojave, and Big Sur as VMs. On the off chance, did you follow the Build-mac.md?

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - timpani - 09-12-2021

Yes, I am following the BUILD-mac.md.  

To follow up on my progress, my old 2015 Mac had a keyboard/trackpad failure and I thought I could get into the recovery by using a wired keyboard but that did not work.  So I dusted off my older 2011 Mac and re-installed to High Sierra.  I was able to successfully build OSCAR.  I suspect that it is not a permissions issue because the error I was getting on Big Sir was from the C compiler that the -Werror=stringop-overread option was invalid.  The difference I suspect is between version 11.0.3 and 10.0.0 of the C compiler from Apple's Xcode command line tools for that OS.  I would think it's a Qt issue since that's what is building the makefile. Interestingly, the makefile generated on High Sierra did not have that stringop-overread option.

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - Crimson Nape - 09-12-2021

Excellent sleuthing! Another member here was reporting having build problems on the Mac w/Big Sur. I hope your findings may help him. I suppose Apple doesn't allow for a downgrade to a previous version?

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - timpani - 09-12-2021

I should have noticed this warning when I ran the qmake----even with the latest v5 Qt-opensource available in binary 5.12.11:

Project WARNING: Qt has only been tested with version 11.0 of the platform SDK, you're using 11.3.
Project WARNING: This is an unsupported configuration. You may experience build issues, and by using
Project WARNING: the 11.3 SDK you are opting in to new features that Qt has not been prepared for.
Project WARNING: Please downgrade the SDK you use to build your app to version 11.0, or configure
Project WARNING: with CONFIG+=sdk_no_version_check when running qmake to silence this warning.

So I did some digging and found Xcode command line tools 11.0 on Apple's developer site. However, it would not install on Big Sur saying my OS was too new. I suspect this will continue to be an issue until OSCAR supports a version of Qt that works with newer OS. That will be needed soon anyway as the clock is ticking for Rosetta2 support on MacOS. I tried to find out if Qt has support for AppleArm and didn't see anything one way or the other.

Hopefully this thread helps those trying to do the same thing.

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - pholynyk - 09-12-2021

OSCAR will build with QT 5.15, albeit with a ton of warnings. I'll be cleaning those up after the 1.3.0 release.

Debian 11 has moved to QT 5.15; but OSCAR may still build with QT 5.7 or 5.9. For sure 5.9, because that's what Ubuntu 18.04 uses.

I don't know if that will help you any Big Grin

(09-12-2021, 01:27 PM)pholynyk Wrote: OSCAR will build with QT 5.15, albeit with a ton of warnings. I'll be cleaning those up after the 1.3.0 release.

Debian 11 has moved to QT 5.15; but OSCAR may still build with QT 5.7 or 5.9. For sure 5.9, because that's what Ubuntu 18.04 uses.

I don't know if that will help you any Big Grin

Do I have to build Qt 5.15 from source or are there binaries for it?  I could only find 5.12 binaries on Qt download page but I did see 5.15 source.  I'd be willing to give it a shot.

RE: error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option - pholynyk - 09-12-2021

If its not already built on the QT site or the Mac X-Code package, I wouldn't try building from source. In fact I did try with an earlier version, and there were so many cross-linked dependencies that I gave up.

What I have is what was built as part of the Debian 11 release. I'm a little surprised that it's not available for the Mac.