Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Black particles inside the motor chamber - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Black particles inside the motor chamber (/Thread-Black-particles-inside-the-motor-chamber)

Pages: 1 2

Black particles inside the motor chamber - Jose L. - 09-13-2021

Hi, I recently disassembled my CPAP device and found out that the motor chamber contains black particles from the side where the air comes in (please see attached image below). Is it something to worry about? did somebody have a similar experience? Thanks in advance

[attachment=35667][attachment=35668]

RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber - Big Guy - 09-13-2021

I'm no electronics guru, but that definitely doesn't look good. What was the reason why you decided to disassemble your CPAP? 

Someone will be along shortly who will know far more than me, and will be able to offer you some insight on the matter.

RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber - GuyScharf - 09-13-2021

How many run hours are on the machine?

Is that blower from an Autoset?

RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber - DaveCar - 09-13-2021

That looks like the black particles are on the inside surface of the motor housing ?
Do you use a SoClean or some kind of ozone cleaner with the machine ?

RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber - Crimson Nape - 09-13-2021

Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing black specks. Instead, I'm seeing the tan colored dust with gaps, or areas not covered in dust, that make it appear as black specks. Have you been running your unit without a filter or is in a smoking environment?

RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber - mrmagloo - 09-13-2021

Following...

RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber - Jose L. - 09-13-2021

I've been replacing the filters every 2 months during the 4 years I'm using the machine and not me nor my partner smokes.

(09-13-2021, 12:36 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm no electronics guru, but that definitely doesn't look good. What was the reason why you decided to disassemble your CPAP? 

Someone will be along shortly who will know far more than me, and will be able to offer you some insight on the matter.

The motor was doing a little louder noise than usual when pumping air and I decided to disassemble it to check if there was any obstruction.

(09-13-2021, 12:45 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: How many run hours are on the machine?

Is that blower from an Autoset?

Yes, is the blower from an Airsense 10 Autoset and It's been running for 8703 hours.

(09-13-2021, 01:06 PM)DaveCar Wrote: That looks like the black particles are on the inside surface of the motor housing ?
Do you use a SoClean or some kind of ozone cleaner with the machine ?
Yes, the black particles are on the inside. I don't use any products to clean the machine from inside. On a weekly basis I use diluted vinegar to clean the  humidifier's chamber and a mild hand soap (Palmolive Aquarium, advised by my CPAP supplier) for the hose and face mask.

RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber - GuyScharf - 09-13-2021

Coupled with louder noise, my guess would be bearing failure in the motor. But I'm no expert and that is just a guess.