Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? (/Thread-Why-didn-t-ResMed-construct-the-humidifier-so-it-can-be-filled-without-removal)

Pages: 1 2 3

Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - Doctor - 10-15-2021

Last night was the first night I used the humidifier with the AS 10.  Surprised that the entire chamber must be removed from the unit simply in order add distilled water.  WTF?  ResMed could have made part of the top with a rear hinge, similar to the S9.  Just flip the lid and fill. But the chamber can also be removed for cleaning. Would rather have easy filling even if the chamber protruded more.

Has anyone here modified their chamber for easier/more convenient filling? Oh-jeez

What do you think?

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - Big Guy - 10-15-2021

Knowing humans like we all do, they'd probably be apt to spilling water all over the unit itself. 

When it comes to the human race, it's not wise to make things too easy or convenient.  Eat-popcorn

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - staceyburke - 10-15-2021

No concern here.

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - Doctor - 10-15-2021

(10-15-2021, 10:30 PM)staceyburke Wrote: No concern here.

No concern about what? You’re not concerned about removing the humidifier every day or you’re not concerned about spilling water on the AS10 ?

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - staceyburke - 10-15-2021

For me I wake up in the morning and take the humidifier with me to the bathroom.  After I brush my teeth I rinse it out and put water in it for the next night.  No big deal, does not bother or concern me at all.

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - S. Manz - 10-15-2021

Because some people don't want to use the humidifier at all. In such cases you can remove the humidifier and replace it with an "end cover" . This way you also reduce the size of the machine by about half.

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - Neelix - 10-16-2021

On the AS10 It reduces the size by approximately  2 inches.  That's not even close to being about half. Big Grin

Personally I think having to take the humidifier out of the machine is a good idea as water can completely destroy electronic components very quickly if they are powered on while wet.  I would not be surprised if earlier devices that allowed you to fill the humidifier while it was still attached had significant numbers of warranty claims on water-damaged machines.

For an example of the effect of distilled water on electronics: https://youtu.be/qGbQ2FPDqkw?t=196

-Neelix

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - jas32 - 10-16-2021

Forcing you to take out the humidifier tank appears to be the “normal” design these days.  I assume they don’t want you spilling water into the electrified heating element (which I’m sure is quite harmless too even if you do).

Even the old S9, with its simple lid cover for the tank, in their newer replacement tanks, they tell you to remove the tank before filling with water.

I’m sure this prevents warranty and future litigation issues.

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - GuyScharf - 10-16-2021

You can't clean a humidifier tank without separating it from the machine. Forcing you to separate the tank increases the chance you will actually clean the tank, which the CPAP manufacturers specify should be done daily.

RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal? - S. Manz - 10-16-2021

Yes, I believe you, but I was specifically talking about newer models like my Aircurve10 ASV