Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Holden4th [Therapy Thread] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Holden4th [Therapy Thread] (/Thread-Holden4th-Therapy-Thread)

Pages: 1 2

Holden4th [Therapy Thread] - holden4th - 10-17-2021

Hello Everyone

I was a regular contributor to the forum up until about 2 years ago and reached advisory member status. Other things took over my life - swimming coaching in particular - and I stopped reading and posting. However, when attempting to log back in after all this time, my password wouldn't work. I put this down to my memory (or a lack of it).

I was holden4th but am happy to carry on as Holden.

Good to see all those familiar names on the forum and to maybe add some of my own thoughts again.

How do I select an avatar?

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - dreamscape99 - 10-17-2021

Welcome back!

I am just new. Smile

You can click on UserCP in upper right corner, and then on Change Avatar under Edit Profile on the left side.

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - Crimson Nape - 10-17-2021

Welcome back!  It is good to see that you are back with us.  

If you wish to resurrect your old member name, send a PM to SuperSleeper using a subject title like, "Password Reset Request".   Be sure to include your desired password in the request.

To go along with the instructions that dreamscape99 has provided, here is a link to your avatar edit page: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/usercp.php?action=avatar

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - OpalRose - 10-17-2021

holden,
Please see the PM I sent you.

Your holden4th account has a lot of history and posts, and I think it would be a good idea to continue using it.

Let me know.

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - holden4th - 10-17-2021

Hello Opal Rose

Yes, I would prefer to use my original Username. I suspect that the PM you sent me was sent to Holden4th which I can't access at the moment. If that is the case could you possibly redirect it to 'Holden'.

It was this forum that got me up and running with PAP therapy in 2015 and I am still very grateful for all the advice I received. One of the reasons for returning is that my therapy has hit a stumbling block and I need advice on how to readjust my settings on my BiPAP. I've had a bit of a play around but with limited success.

Many thanks

Cheers

Holden

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - holden4th - 10-18-2021

Many thanks to Supersleeper for getting my old account back up and running, it's good to be back here amongst people who genuinely want to help others. One of the reasons I've returned is rather selfish I suppose. I had my therapy working really well but over a year ago I developed sleep issues where I would wake up during the night with a feeling of breathlessness. Not a nice feeling as many of you would know. I put it down to another medical issue I've developed but after consulting with my cardiologist he says that my prolapsed mitral valve shouldn't cause this effect while sleeping.

The other night after waking up for the third time feeling like this, I decided to change my machine settings. I increased the IPAP to 25, the EPAP to 12 and raised the PS from 3 to 4. The result was immediate for that night with the feeling gone but it hasn't entirely solved the problem.

This raises a few questions for me.

What could cause the breathlessness?
What does raising EPAP do?
Is it better to have a higher or lower Pressure Support?

Maybe two years ago I might have been able to answer some of these questions but I'm not so confident now. I've had a bit of a weight increase (thanks to the mitral valve issue) and know that this would have affected my settings.

Tonight I'll work with

IPAP 25
EPAP 12
PS 4

I'm sure that I have my trigger cycles right. I'll post this and previous charts tomorrow.

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - Gideon - 10-18-2021

Breathlessness --
A lower O2 level, the feeling of having to suck in air,
Frequently an increase in pressure helps an increase in EPR or PS can also help
EPAP
Treats OA events
PS higher or lower?
Increased PS supports air exchange as a higher differential helps to move more air first in then out when the pressure drops
Higher PS in support of other cardio pulmonary or CNS issues

That what you are looking for

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - holden4th - 10-18-2021

(10-18-2021, 05:37 AM)Gideon Wrote: Breathlessness --
A lower O2 level, the feeling of having to suck in air,
Frequently an increase in pressure helps an increase in EPR or PS can also help
EPAP
Treats OA events
PS higher or lower?
Increased PS supports air exchange as a higher differential helps to move more air first in then out when the pressure drops
Higher PS in support of other cardio pulmonary or CNS issues

That what you are looking for

The breathlessness condition exactly describes how I felt.

Thanks for the info on EPAP and PS. It seems as if my decision to raise both might be the best move. I had a good nights sleep last night so maybe I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - Gideon - 10-18-2021

I do suggest only one at a time.

RE: Hello, I'm New but not New - holden4th - 10-19-2021

[attachment=36501][attachment=36501]
Some screen shots over a period of time including last night. While the AHI looks good for some of them I can assure you the sleep quality wasn't good. I'll start with a night from August this year. I had a good sleep last night even though it was broken but I am certain it could be better.