Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Central Apnea - ADHD - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Central Apnea - ADHD (/Thread-Central-Apnea-ADHD)

Pages: 1 2 3

Central Apnea - ADHD - Robotazky - 10-17-2021

Hi.  I joined because I am observing something that surprises me and wanted to ask if others have any experience.

I want to preface my first post by letting readers know that I am an engineer, highly analytical by nature, and generally fact-driven in my conclusions.

That said, I am 48 years old and been using a CPAP machine since 2015 for central apnea.  Recently I was diagnosed with terrible ADHD and started a stimulant medication as a result.

I do not know how or why, but the medication has changed something in my brain such that my horrible AHI scores that are always between 10-30, and now 2-10.

First question is whether anyone has any experience with this.

Second question is whether or not a Philips System One 60 CPAP is even the correct treatment for central apnea.  I don’t have a lot of confidence in my doctor, so wanted to ask here if this sounds like I’m even receiving the correct treatment.

Thanks in advance.  Central apnea sucks!

RE: Central Apnea - ADHD - Gideon - 10-17-2021

ASV is the correct machine to treat Central Apnea, somewhat conditioned by other cardiopulmonary and CNS issues.
Without question a CPAP (fixed pressure) is not the correct machine. Do note that ALL machines that treat Apnea are "CPAP" machines. This includes CPAP/APAP/BiLevel. It isn't until you get into the ventilator machines that the CPAP monitor is dropped.

Download OSCAR and post your chart so we can see what you actually have going on. You will love OSCAR with detail down to the breath by breath level.

RE: Central Apnea - ADHD - quiescence at last - 10-17-2021

Welcome to the forum. There are many here that have similar circumstances. I also am an engineer, and a data hog, analyze way too much for anyone's good, including mine.

Anyway, I have been using a System One 60, since late 2014. I do not have the same profile as you, being that I am not having trouble with central apnea.

Enjoy!

QAL

RE: Central Apnea - ADHD - Robotazky - 10-17-2021

Thanks.  I’ll have to look into OSCAR.  I don’t know the first thing about it, such as where it is even supposed to be installed and how it would get information about me personally.  I’ll have to read up on it.

I don’t currently have health insurance, and when I do again it will be terrible high-deductible (useless) insurance.  Will my System One 60 not do the ASV?

RE: Central Apnea - ADHD - SarcasticDave94 - 10-17-2021

ASV is a special mode on only certain machines. I can't say if your 60 series has it, but it's not likely as again ASV is a very specialized device.

I've used a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV for a few years, and there's zero Central Apnea that can stand against it. My only reason for graduation beyond ASV is that it's not good for COPD, just Central Apnea. I fully recommend this ResMed ASV, 10 series if you can get it, 9 series will suffice.

Maybe look for used ASV at some suppliers on or list, maybe Craigslist or something like that.

Supplier #2 has had them on occasion, but I think their prices have gone up recently. DotMed is another internet entity you might want to look up.

OSCAR just loads onto your computer and you upload the nightly files via an SD card that captures data overnight while inserted into your PAP. Don't worry so much if you can't understand it all. You post it and we'll help you understand. Certainly learn about it, but you don't need to know it all.

Well, it's been 10 years since I've tried using a forum that is not on Tapatalk. Do I have to create a photo sharing account somewhere just to post my charts here?

I can't even figure out how to edit a post here. Geesh.

RE: Central Apnea - ADHD - Dormeo - 10-17-2021

To post a chart, simply take a screenshot of it and upload it with your post.

You'll find a lot of information about how Oscar works here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=OSCAR_Installation

I don't have an answer to your question about the medication and your AHI. I wonder whether it's possible the medication side effects are causing you to spend less time asleep during the night, which could result in a lower AHI. Do you have any sense of whether that might be the case?

Before you start trying to find an ASV machine, I do hope you'll download Oscar, feed it the data on your SD card, and post a chart or two here. It could tell the experts here quite a lot.

This is the best I'm able to muster.  

[attachment=36465]

[attachment=36466]

[attachment=36467]

(10-17-2021, 01:07 PM)Dormeo Wrote: "To post a chart, simply take a screenshot of it and upload it with your post.  

You'll find a lot of information about how Oscar works here:

I don't have an answer to your question about the medication and your AHI.  I wonder whether it's possible the medication side effects are causing you to spend less time asleep during the night, which could result in a lower AHI.  Do you have any sense of whether that might be the case?

Before you start trying to find an ASV machine, I do hope you'll download Oscar, feed it the data on your SD card, and post a chart or two here.  It could tell the experts here quite a lot."

This is just super awkward trying to use this forum.  I cannot even quote people correctly.  I don't remember them being this challenging, but like I said I use Tapatalk for about 10 forums and have been for years.

Sorry, I'm doing my best.

Regarding the meds, it's either affecting the parts of the brain that have to do with apnea, or it's done such a good job of alleviating anxiety that the anxiety reduction is contributing to the apnea reduction.

I have read over and over on the internet that stimulant medication for ADHD does not reduce anxiety and depression, but after 30 years of trying every drug there is, and I mean EVERY DRUG THERE IS, this ADHD medication has helped both probably 80%.  Nothing has come even close.  The people saying these meds can't reduce anxiety have no idea what they're talking about.

RE: Central Apnea - ADHD - quiescence at last - 10-17-2021

you can also use another location online that has a web address to store your pictures, and then embed the picture or list a link to the web address.  Some have used dropbox, some imgur, and I think there are a few others out there.  maybe google docs, as it allows access to anyone who has the special link.

anyway, some of us who post many many charts or instructive material resort to something like the above, because there is a fairly low limit on amount of space used on the forum site for illustrations.  It makes you delete older ones in order to add newer as required space runs low or out.  I seem to recall I was able to post about 10 screenshots in the allotted space. (that was in place in early 2015, but may have changed since)

Good luck.

QAL

before turning over your machine please remove the water reservoir or empty it of water.
On the bottom of your machine, there is a number like 560 that tells the specific style of REMstar Series One, and would tell us the features of the machine.
The BiPAP-ST machine has a few added features that can stimulate inhales, and can legislate the timing of the inhale and exhale periods. (your charts do not look like you have a big problem with CAs.)