Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? (/Thread-Any-options-when-provider-sends-different-used-equipment)

Pages: 1 2

Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - sumorez - 10-29-2021

I've read quite a few posts about providers trying to give out used equipment and passing it off as new. I've been a CPAP user for a while now, using one of the older Philips units that's involved with the recall. I figured it's time for a new one anyway, so my doctor sent over a recommendation to a local company who said I'd need to do a sleep study at home again since it had been so long. Fine, done.

Anyway, they asked if I wanted to pick up in-person or have it sent out and set up via phone call. I asked what they'd be sending and they said a new AirSense 11. Cool. The unit arrived Wednesday and they set the call up for today. After unboxing on Wednesday, I discovered that they actually sent an AirSense 10 Auto. Emailed the person I'd been working with... no response so far.

Got a call for the setup today. Different company, they don't know anything about why I would have been sent something different, they're just calling to help set it up. I powered it up and immediately saw that it's got 445 run hours on it. So not only is it not the model they said it would be, it's got some use on it too.

I'm wondering, for those who have had theirs sent to them instead of going to the office, have you had any luck getting the machine swapped out? I tried calling them but it's over an hour wait on hold, haven't had time to wait yet. Prior to purchase their email response time was fast, now it has been two days since the original question with no answer. Losing confidence fast.

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - OpalRose - 10-29-2021

Is this going through insurance? If yes, take the unit back. Simply refuse it, and tell them you'll pick up the new A11 that they originally said they would ship. If they give you a hard time, then find another supplier.

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - sumorez - 10-29-2021

(10-29-2021, 01:02 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Is this going through insurance?  If yes, take the unit back.  Simply refuse it, and tell them you'll pick up the new A11 that they originally said they would ship.  If they give you a hard time, then find another supplier.

Yes, going through insurance. It doesn't look like the doctor who referred me over there put anything specific on the equipment order, but I have an email from them stating that it would be an AirSense 11. Nothing stating that it would be new, but I guess I assumed that would be a given (oops). I wasn't sure if there would be an issue since it was delivered and the package itself was accepted since it's a medical device.

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - OpalRose - 10-29-2021

DME's simply can't be trusted.  Right now, since the Phillips recall and the run (demand) on ResMed products, most DME's are low on stock.  

You don't have to accept used.  Remember that when going through insurance, they won't replace that machine for another five years.  So why start out with used if you don't have to?

Demand the A11 that they said you would originally receive.

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - Nightynite - 10-29-2021

I think I would rather have a 10 at this date. I don’t think Oscar is compatible with the 11’s yet.

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - SarcasticDave94 - 10-29-2021

I'm going to guess you had paperwork on the new machine. Take a look at what was named on the agreement. If it's a no match, return it. I myself would return it anyway. If they can't get you the agreed upon machine, pretty sure they can't get the rest right in the future either. Return for a swap to the one you agreed to or kill the deal and go elsewhere. Maybe remind this DME that if they don't straighten this up to your satisfaction, the next DME will get your business for the next 5 years.

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - sumorez - 10-29-2021

(10-29-2021, 01:54 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I think I would rather have a 10 at this date. I don’t think Oscar is compatible with the 11’s yet.

I've seen a few people mention this but honestly haven't even looked into what Oscar is or why it would be useful to me.

I'm coming from a Philips System One Remstar Auto 560P with humidifier. I'm not sure how old it is but it's pretty old. Newer models aren't always better of course (the water tank seems huge on the System One compared to this one) and I know the 11 is really new, so they might not be in stock, and as the old saying goes a CPAP in hand is better than ... wait maybe that's not it, but either way it's not worth waiting if it's out of stock. It's mostly the usage hours that bother me I guess.

(10-29-2021, 01:58 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm going to guess you had paperwork on the new machine. Take a look at what was named on the agreement.

It matches what's on the shipping paperwork that came with the unit (of course), but the DocuSign that I filled out with the company doesn't mention any models at all.

(10-29-2021, 01:54 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I think I would rather have a 10 at this date. I don’t think Oscar is compatible with the 11’s yet.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_supported_machines

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - SarcasticDave94 - 10-29-2021

OK, look at it this way, which machine did you agree to getting? You make it a case that you as the DME's customer is right and satisfied. If you're not satisfied, return it, get a receipt of the return, and walk out.

RE: Any options when provider sends different/used equipment? - Crimson Nape - 10-29-2021

As of OSCAR version 1.3.0, the Resmed AirSense 11 is supported.  

OSCAR is an acronym that stands for, Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter.  It provides for the viewing of the high-resolution sleep data that is generated by the CPAP and stored on an attached SD card.  OSCAR is free to use and is compiled in formats that will operate on Mac, Linux, and Windows.  It is available for download either by clicking on one of the OSCAR names here in the post, or by the OSCAR link at the top of each page.  You will need an SD card no larger than 32 GB to capture your data.   The use of an SD card will not affect the use of any wireless data service operated by the manufacturer.