Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! (/Thread-Equipment-Hole-in-Tubing-Thanks-Cat)

Pages: 1 2

Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - garrityd - 11-15-2021

No problems with my machine or my mask. I've been on  CPAP therapy for approximately 10 years now and feel great! My problem is my cat. He tries to grab my mask when I try to put it on at night. He had been horrible about a year ago and had 8-10 holes in my tubing - which I patched with electrical tape. I had finally gotten the problem worked out, and he stopped, so I bought a new heated tube as well as a new mask - which comes with it's own short hose. Well, the darned cat went berserk and grabbed it last night, and now I have holes in both of them again. Is there anything I can use to safely patch the holes, like some non-toxic glue or caulk? I don't want to buy new hoses again, but I don't want to asphyxiate myself either. Thanks for any help you can provide.

RE: Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - Big Guy - 11-15-2021

If the holes are small, just use some clear (or white) silicone sealer. Any hardware store sells small tubes of it. 

And, if you don't have one, get a hose cover.  Bigwink

RE: Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - MagnoliaSolana - 11-15-2021

What about tossing some treats or toy for your cat just before you put your mask on? Or stick up one of those fishing poles with a feather at the end of your bed just before? Something he only gets at that moment might be exciting enough distraction.

Animals can be so unexpected, not doing anything for ages and then surprising you, right? LOL

RE: Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - Big Guy - 11-15-2021

We have two cats, and they don't bother my CPAP machine or hose at all.  Cool

RE: Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - Jeff8356 - 11-15-2021

(11-15-2021, 01:06 PM)garrityd Wrote: Is there anything I can use to safely patch the holes, like some non-toxic glue or caulk? 

Food grade sealant would probably work fine and not be toxic.  Try amazon "food grade NSF sealant".

Might try wrapping part of an old shirt or sock around the short tubing.  Just don't block any vent holes. MIght help deter kitty from attacking it.

RE: Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - Sleeprider - 11-15-2021

I use a Snuggle skins cover on my tubing. It makes it softer, quieter and less interesting likely to condense water. Hopefully it also makes it less interesting to cats. Look on Amazon for the one that covers 6-8 feet of tubing. They are 21.95, but you could go with the cat repellent pink color and it's only $15. Highly recommended.

RE: Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - StevesSp - 11-15-2021

Holes in tube caused by your cat?

I would stuff the darn thing in the bin.

Then fix the tube.

RE: Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! - garrityd - 11-15-2021

Thanks! I have a cover for the long tube, but I didn't have it on because I bought a new heated tube. I put that back on today, but would still like to close the holes. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas! He's been so good for the past several months. Just never know what goes through his head! Too-funny

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I'll check Amazon right now!
Thanks

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I have a cover that I used all the time, but when I got a new tube I splurged and bought a heated one. I put it back on after his stunt last night, but I'd like to seal the holes. Didn't know there was a cat resistant one, though! I'll check that one out right now! At least I now know that he's not the only brat cat out there! Too-funny

Thank you for your thoughtful response.