Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Puffy dry eyes - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Puffy dry eyes (/Thread-Puffy-dry-eyes)

Puffy dry eyes - thepiecesfit - 11-25-2021

Looking for creative solutions to irritated and dry eyes with my full face mask. Often I wake up and can’t fall asleep from the discomfort. It seems that perhaps my eyelids are not completely closed during sleep. Using a Resmed full face F20 AirTouch mask. My seal is good under 20L/min in terms of leaks. There is air coming from the exhaust in the elbow near the quick release which I understand is normal. However, it looks like the same air is causing me great eye discomfort, probably from bouncing off the pillow and up into my eyes. 

Are there any products or masks that have worked for you? I think this is the final barrier for me between getting a good nights sleep as my AHI now averages around 1-2 when I can actually sleep.

RE: Puffy dry eyes - Deborah K. - 11-25-2021

Two things immediately come to mind.  I tend to have dry eyes, so I always put eyedrops or eye ointment in my eyes at bedtime.  Systane Complete are the eyedrops recommended to me by my opthalmologist.  The eye ointment is Soothe Nightime by Bausch & Lomb.  The ointment is the most helpful in my opinion.  It makes your vision blurry for a few minutes, but at bedtime that does not matter.

Some folks here sleep with an eye mask to prevent air from blowing in their eyes.

I hope you find a solution that works well for you.  Shy

RE: Puffy dry eyes - OpalRose - 11-25-2021

"It seems that perhaps my eyelids are not completely closed during sleep."

The inability to close your eyes completely during sleep will most definitely cause you discomfort, especially if you think that air from your mask may be directed or bouncing off a bed pillow toward your eyes.

Besides the eye drops and ointments mentioned above (which I also use), you could try an eye mask. Look for a soft mask with a "convex" shape (meaning curved or rounded out) so the mask doesn't touch your eye at all.

RE: Puffy dry eyes - Mrzocor - 11-25-2021

My eyes are worse first thing in the mornings. The first 2 hours I can hardly focus at all.

RE: Puffy dry eyes - thepiecesfit - 11-27-2021

(11-25-2021, 01:06 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Two things immediately come to mind.  I tend to have dry eyes, so I always put eyedrops or eye ointment in my eyes at bedtime.  Systane Complete are the eyedrops recommended to me by my opthalmologist.  The eye ointment is Soothe Nightime by Bausch & Lomb.  The ointment is the most helpful in my opinion.  It makes your vision blurry for a few minutes, but at bedtime that does not matter.

Some folks here sleep with an eye mask to prevent air from blowing in their eyes.

I hope you find a solution that works well for you.  Shy

Sadly have mixed results with the Soothe Nightime by Bausch & Lomb. I will try the eye drops next along with a mask. While it did seem to make my eyelids more sticky, it did tend to make its way to the bridge of my nose and given the full face mask and did get a bit greasy there. Thanks for the suggestion. 

RE: Puffy dry eyes - quiescence at last - 11-29-2021

I have some problems with air impinging on my eyes, too. When it does seem to be happening and mask adjustments do not seem to correct it, I sometimes drape a handkerchief over the mask using my mask frame to hold it in place. I use a full face mask.

Anything other than single thickness handkerchief can reduce the flow thru the vent holes and will reduce the amount of CO2 that can be swept from the trapped volume of air inside the mask.

QAL

RE: Puffy dry eyes - DaveL - 11-29-2021

I tried an F20 and had huge issues with leaks. Most seemed to be pointed right at my eyes! I wonder if you are having the same problem. The mask seemed perfect otherwise. My issue is claustrophobia. I was able to wear this mask better than any other that I've tried. But I couldn't keep it on. So I tried the F30 something when it came out. Same issues.

Surgical masks cause the same reaction when I have to wear them.

RE: Puffy dry eyes - walt48 - 09-26-2022

Looking for creative solutions to irritated and dry eyes with my full face mask. Often I wake up and can’t fall asleep from the discomfort. It seems that perhaps my eyelids are not completely closed during sleep. Using a Resmed full face F20 AirTouch mask. My seal is good under 20L/min in terms of leaks.
If there is a tiny leak on the bridge of your nose it may be the source of the dry eyes.  Might consider a mask like the Amara View that stops at your nostrils.
There is air coming from the exhaust in the elbow near the quick release which I understand is normal. However, it looks like the same air is causing me great eye discomfort, probably from bouncing off the pillow and up into my eyes. 
I have had success winding thread under the elbow junction around the tube.  It works to stop the air leaking from the interface.  It may be considered “normal” by the manufacturer, but I think the leaks are just poor manufacturing tolerances.  The leaks make noise, may cause dry eyes, and is preventable.

Are there any products or masks that have worked for you?

I was very surprised that cleaning my eyelids and lashes is very effective – I don’t know why.  I originally used “Optase” products (Amazon), but found that just tap water and a towel are just as effective.  I also have found eye drops/gel and an eye mask (I use Bucky 40 Blinks No Pressure Eye Mask – Amazon) effective.

I think this is the final barrier for me between getting a good nights sleep as my AHI now averages around 1-2 when I can actually sleep.