Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] humidifier settings for high altitude - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] humidifier settings for high altitude (/Thread-CPAP-humidifier-settings-for-high-altitude)

humidifier settings for high altitude - wnorrick - 06-10-2013

I have a travel Devilbiss cpap machine with humidifier. I live at basically sea level and I am in Colorado mountains on vacation. I keep my heater setting on 4 normally however in the dry climate I am getting a little bleeding nose and waking up with a dry mouth. I haven't had this machine long and haven't had these problems with my ResMed S9 with humidifier set on 80. Of course I haven't used it in this high, dry climate. Would I turn the 4 on the Devilbiss up or down to improve dry mouth and nose? Also will it be a problem for me if I get the nose bleed during the nights while on my machine and don't know it. It is mostly bleeding when I blow my nose not a stream that I have to stop. Any suggestions are welcome. I am new to the forum and so glad I found you.

RE: humidifier settings for high altitude - trish6hundred - 06-10-2013

Hi wnorrick,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try turning it up a notch and see if that would help you.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck and have a good vacation.

RE: humidifier settings for high altitude - iSnooze - 06-10-2013

I found the following info from the Divilbiss humidifier brochure:
The heater setting can be adjusted in a range of 1 to 10. The optimum temperature setting is dependent on the ambient temperature and humidity of your room. If your room temperature is low and/or the relative humidity is high, then a lower temperature setting may be necessary for optimum comfort. The heater setting of 1 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 84°F (29°C). The heater setting of 10 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 149°F (65°C).

If your humidifier goes up to 10 and you only have it on 4, I would recommend trying it on 6. If that's too much, cut back to 5. If it doesn't seem enough, go up to 7 or 8. Unfortunately in a new situation it's a lot of trial and error.

As long as you are sleeping fine, I wouldn't worry about the nosebleed that is noticeable when you blow your nose. But I will add that I'm no expert on the matter. I'm basing this on the fact that I used to get a lot of nosebleeds as a kid and young adult. I usually only noticed them when I blew my nose.

RE: humidifier settings for high altitude - wnorrick - 06-10-2013

Thank you both for your replies. I will turn it up to 6 tonight and see what happens. I am so happy I found the forum as there is a wealth of information here and people like you so willing to help others.

RE: humidifier settings for high altitude - zonk - 06-10-2013

(06-10-2013, 10:31 PM)iSnooze Wrote: The heater setting of 1 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 84°F (29°C). The heater setting of 10 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 149°F (65°C).
The S9 humidifier temperature can be set between 16-30C (61-86F) 16C (61F) being the lowest and 30C (86F) the highest