Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Yup...it's now just a matter of time. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Yup...it's now just a matter of time. (/Thread-Yup-it-s-now-just-a-matter-of-time)

Pages: 1 2 3

Yup...it's now just a matter of time. - Big Guy - 12-06-2021

Until I give up on CPAP Therapy. Not even sure now I'll make it to 2022. I'm over it, it ain't working, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to come to realize that. 

I canceled my sleep doc appt. last month for the 17th. I don't plan to reschedule.  Eat-popcorn

RE: Yup......it's now just a matter of time. - Sleeprider - 12-06-2021

As someone that has not seen a sleep doc since 2008...yawn.

RE: Yup......it's now just a matter of time. - ScottZZZ - 12-06-2021

As the cool kids say when someone rage-quits a video game, “Can I have your stuff?”

But on a more serious note…. I will say that using, depending on, a PAP machine sucks for a lot of reasons.  The only thing that sucks more, for me, is apneas.  Hope you can find a solution that works for you.

RE: Yup......it's now just a matter of time. - Big Guy - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 09:03 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: As the cool kids say when someone rage-quits a video game, “Can I have your stuff?”

But on a more serious note…. I will say that using, depending on, a PAP machine sucks for a lot of reasons.  The only thing that sucks more, for me, is apneas.  Hope you can find a solution that works for you.

That's one of the reasons I'm stopping. I sleep just as well (if not better) w/o it than I do with it. I've been very sporadic the last couple of months when it comes to gearing up. 

I'm not all that convinced I needed it from the start. The sleep centers don't make any money telling you that you don't need treatment.  Dont-know

RE: Yup......it's now just a matter of time. - hegel - 12-06-2021

"The sleep centers don't make any money telling you that you don't need treatment.."

No. Clinics aren't conning every sap who comes in the door into using a cpap when they don't need it. Hey, you may do as well or better without treatment. That doesn't mean that you were conned into something by people looking to fleece you. Clinicians are trying to help an overwhelming number of people with apnea and other conditions. They may not do the best job in every instance. They're not all crooks looking to maximize profit at the expense of patients' needs.

Sorry to go off like this but I need to push back on the 'everyone's just looking to con everyone else" meme that's so prevalent in society.

RE: Yup...it's now just a matter of time. - CorruptAlligator - 12-07-2021

I worked with a sleep doc that wasn't all that helpful besides referring me to a DME that gave me a Resmed A10. It didn't seem like he really cared for my visits or when I told him about my nightly multiple awakening issues, it didn't feel like he was eager to help. Perhaps he had too many patients. Definately didn't come off as crooks or con artist docs like a podiatrist who tries to sell you their foot inserts. Same for TMJ docs, they are sales people as well (who tries to sell you their $1k to $4k nightguards).

I think the quality of sleep healthcare sucks because they are bombarded with patients and they are not motivated to give quality care? One obvious reason is that the docs and technicians have different roles, so docs are not well trained in the machines.

Everything I know is due to the internet boards (such as Apneaboard) or me experiements from suggests.

It's very easy to give up on CPAP therapy. In order for it to be effective, you have to make some effort, learn about CPAP therapy, and experiment yourself. Since it is YOUR therapy, after familiarizing with customizing the machine's settings and experimenting, you should know best what to do.

I titrated myself and it took a lot of trial and error (and learning from reading a lot from this board), and looking at OSCAR data to figure out what mask and pressure works best. Also, to figure out what position my body should be while in bed to reduce FL that the A10 is detecting. This I found most important as my FL shoot up like crazy on supine.

Biggest milestone for me was, when I recently found out APAP mode useless (for regular nightly treatment), and use CPAP mode that doesn't increase pressure with FL detections, and my OA is 0, and my CA are the lowest. My AHI is under .5 consistently now. I find EPR to be the most useful feature of A10. I dislike the algorithm that pumps up the pressure everytime FL is detected to be useless. It disturbs my sleep more than help with my situation.

IMO CPAP still works and APAP should only be used for titration to found out your constant CPAP pressure. APAP mode usage is a gimmick.

If it's the excess fat around the upper respiratory area that's contributing, of course weight loss is very important. That's something I've been working on as well because I really can't stand CPAP therapy. I want to get off the machine.

RE: Yup......it's now just a matter of time. - FLcracker - 12-07-2021

(12-06-2021, 09:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: As someone that has not seen a sleep doc since 2008...yawn.

I fully understand and concur... Mizz C has never been to a sleep/clinic/doc, whatever.  When I realized after doing a lot of online research, and finally arriving at this forum, just exactly what she was dealing with....OSA.  She had ALL of the signs and symptoms.  And when we discussed what to do for her, I suggested a sleep study for her.  But she vehemently declined...."No way I'm ever going to be able to sleep anywhere other than in my own bed, and the thought of being 'wired up' to some kind of a machine while trying to sleep with someone watching, out of the question".

So I, after a lot more research, and finally finding a vendor in another state that was willing to sell me a CPAP unit, sans 'script, and thus began her treatment.

Her first unit was a 'brick', (what did I know?), but it did at least provide the information that we had diagnosed her properly. she was having 60 to 70 episodes a night. That's pretty critical.  

Since then, we have learned much more, again, with the help of good equipment and the info this forum provides, she is doing very well, says she can't even think of getting a good night's sleep without her 'nosey'.... and is basically 100% compliant.  I sleep a lot better too, in not having to rouse her 2 0r 3 times a night just to get her breathing again. Her AHI average is right now at 2.2.  And her CPAP machine gives me peace of mind.

BG, I wish you well, and hope that you're on the right track in dropping out....I trust your motivation in knowing what is right for you... I also totally believe that 'sleep studies' and most of the medical profession are indeed only in it for the money they can drag out of your insurance/bank acct.  Folks seldom get really good info/care unless they're either wealthy, or people of importance.  Usually both.

Best,  FLc

RE: Yup...it's now just a matter of time. - DaveL - 12-07-2021

This OSA and its treatment have been created but no one has considered sleep quality. And quality of life should be the measure. I respect you for your presence and help here.

My sleep quality has started to improve. But it's taken a long time.

So hang in there.

Big Guy life's about choices. Do what's right for you.

Dave
Toronto

RE: Yup...it's now just a matter of time. - Big Guy - 12-07-2021

Just for the record, I didn't mean to imply that all sleep centers are crooked or have their own best interests at heart. If I came off that way, I do apologize.

I'm very aware that some of you have conditions much worse than mine. I know that and respect that. It's just that mine have not been life altering in any way. If there was a night & day difference in therapy for me, I'd be the 1st to admit it. But there isn't. 

I'm not willing to spend a few more years hoping that things might change. I'd like to take a year off and see if anything changes. That is my plan for now. 

One thing I do know for sure, is that getting older doesn't mean you are getting any better. It's a matter of making the best of what you have to deal with. For me, I consider myself fortunate. No major surgeries in the past, no major issues to deal with, and I'm not taking a whole lot of meds. Just two......one for high BP and one for acid reflux. 

I did hear on the news last night, that cases of high BP are spiking like never before. It's cause of all the anxiety the last two years have created. I think they said that women were more prone to get it in this case.

RE: Yup...it's now just a matter of time. - Superstar - 12-07-2021

It really saddens me to see people say that healthcare workers are only in it for the money. I spent 45 years working in hospitals first as an 
RN and then as a healthcare attorney. With few exceptions the doctors, nurses, techs... that I knew well were not "in it for the money."  
There were two ladies who worked in our finance department who drove many miles down a dirt road and waded through a damn creek to get papers to a poor family to sign so they could get financial help! They got nothing out of this but wet feet.   Doctors and nurses went above and beyond to care for patients, many times to their own detriment.  Yes there will always be rotten apples in the barrel, but for anyone to believe that all the apples are rotten is a sad way to live. 

Just my humble opinion.