Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI most iimportant number? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI most iimportant number? (/Thread-AHI-most-iimportant-number)

AHI most iimportant number? - pb9003 - 12-26-2021

Hello all,

After using a Resmed Mirage Micro for the past 20 years or so, I changed to a full face mask, resmed F30i.  I became tired of having to tape my face up to stop mouthbreathing, having to shave every day or the tape wouldn't stick, etc etc. (Yes, tried all sorts of chin straps including one I had to sew myself).  While using my Airsense 10 I was generally getting scores of 95+ most nights, with my AHI hovering between 1 - 4.  With my new full face mask, I never get a decent score on the "mask leak" section, usually losing between 5 & 10 points each night. My AHI however remains quite low.  Last night, I lost all 20 points on the mask-leak score, however, my AHI was 1.5 again.  As long as my AHI remains low, does it matter that the masks leak?  Over the years I've tried other full face masks and had terrible leaks but didn't have a machine that kept track of AHI.  So, should I just not worry about leakage as long as AHI remains good?  

Thanks for the opinions!

Best,

Philip

RE: AHI most iimportant number? - Gideon - 12-26-2021

It depends.
  • You have an established history of a 'satisfactory' AHI (this is subjective)
  • leaks are not interfering with sleep (not blowing in eyes or elsewhere that would hinder sleep or promote arousals)
  • Large leaks are only a little over large leak levels and are not interfering with the reporting of events.
  • A realization that if you are asking this it is your comfort that you are watching, not your numbers.

RE: AHI most iimportant number? - SarcasticDave94 - 12-26-2021

Show us an OSCAR standard daily Detail chart then we can see what the leak data tells us. I do know the ResMed machines have a leak redline of 24. As you approach this redline, and even more after crossing the threshold, accuracy of therapy is more compromised and the machine loses the ability to compensate. So leaks are important to track and correct when needed.

RE: AHI most iimportant number? - pb9003 - 12-28-2021

trying to figure out this "Oscar" thing. I started young with CPAP, never had a prob with it so never really kept up with technology.

RE: AHI most iimportant number? - SarcasticDave94 - 12-28-2021

OSCAR is a free report tool that takes the data your CPAP creates. Data needs to be saved in an SD card that's in the slot on your PAP before you sleep. We can help interpret the data when you show us a daily detail screenshot that is Attached to your post.

See attached

Thx!

RE: AHI most iimportant number? - Gideon - 12-28-2021

Please show the screenshot, not the download.

*** Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed. ***

Images can not be hosted from a personal computer. Please upload them either to the Apnea Board server, for CPAP related images only, or use an image hosting service. For help in attaching images, please review Attaching Images and Files on the Apnea Board.

RE: AHI most iimportant number? - Rich66 - 12-28-2021

PB9003-- if you look at Gideons post, just before your last post, see and click on the links "Download Oscar" -- also click on "Organize Charts". Also, look at other peoples posts and you'll see examples of Oscar screenshots.
And the AHI is an important number, but "how do you feel" is even more important.