Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Wondering What Is Going On - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Wondering What Is Going On (/Thread-Wondering-What-Is-Going-On)

Pages: 1 2

Wondering What Is Going On - cstone1999 - 12-30-2021

Hey all,
I am posting here to see if anyone has any ideas as to what is going on with my breathing during the night. I can't keep the mask on for more than two hours generally and I wake up in the morning feeling what I could only describe as what I would think hypoxia feels like. I have had my cpap for six months now so if someone needs more data I can provide...
[attachment=38499]

RE: Wondering What Is Going On - staceyburke - 12-30-2021

I don’t see a lot of problems in your chart. But I would suggest you change the EPR to 3 full-time.  It should make it easier to breathe and in turn allow you to keep your mask on.

RE: Wondering What Is Going On - Melman - 12-30-2021

Given that most of your events are CA and may be central apnea, they are likely to increase with EPR. Stacey is right, it may provide greater comfort but the tradeoff may be more CA. Give it a try and post again. Emergent CA are fairly common for new users but disappear after a few months.

RE: Wondering What Is Going On - Geer1 - 12-30-2021

I don't get why your graph doesn't show the central apnea events in event flag or flow rate charts. There should be 10 of them based on the 4.58 clear airway index and normally they show up as a red line like the two obstructive blue ones. All I can think of is that for some reason you have them turned off which I believe is done in file, preferences, events. If so please turn them back on and repost.

I would like you to post a couple zoomed in views (use left mouse and arrow keys), ~ 3-4 minute duration. One starting at 00:36 and another starting at 00:48. Your flow rate graph looks ugly early in the night but it is too hard to tell what is going on so need the more detailed data.

RE: Wondering What Is Going On - Crimson Nape - 12-30-2021

Those events are probably deselected in the Event Flag option box, under the graphs on the left side.

RE: Wondering What Is Going On - cstone1999 - 12-30-2021

Here is the fixed version with all of my central apnea's flagged down [attachment=38503]
also,
 [attachment=38504]
and,
 [attachment=38505]
Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone. I am going to try raising the EPR to 3 for tonight and see if it works for the unconscious mask ripping off.

Hmm, definitely strong arousals and the central apnea appear to occur post arousal meaning they aren't real. Not obvious obstructions or flow limited breaths so tough to know what is causing the arousal.

Trying EPR of 3 will be interesting, maybe it will be more comfortable and avoid these issues.

RE: Wondering What Is Going On - quiescence at last - 12-30-2021

yeah i was going to say that too, the occurrences you pinpointed just seem to be adjustments as you transition back to sleep. They are real lost breaths, but they are usually called sleep-wake-junk SWJ and are common. This does not suggest you have a central apnea issue.

QAL

Yeah I should have expanded on that a bit. These "fake" apnea are often just a person subconsciously holding their breath while they change position (roll onto side etc) before falling back asleep. They usually get flagged as central apnea since there is no blockage of your airway.

RE: Wondering What Is Going On - multicast - 12-31-2021

Your minimal pressure seems too high in my opinion. Maybe try to set the pressure from min 8 to max 12 with EPR 3 and see what happens.

Mike