Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? (/Thread-How-important-is-to-replace-the-filter-on-the-A10)

Pages: 1 2

How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - CorruptAlligator - 12-31-2021

Hi everyone,

Lately, I had an odd issue.  Breathing in with my nasal mask became more difficult all of sudden, and my sleep quality went down. 

Initially, I thought it was the nasal cushion issue (possibly being worn out), but it didn't seem to be the culprit  behind the issue.  

What seemed to be causing it was the filter on the A10.  I forgot to swap  it out one month, and haven't replaced it in 1.5months.  

The area where I'm at isn't dusty or have forest fires.  When I look at the filter it doesn't look that bad, and it never occurred to me that it would restrict air pull to this degree.  I would have never suspected the filter to clog to such degree in 1.5months. I thought I read people commenting that they keep their filter on for longer periods. 

Is this really the case?  Did anyone else have such issue?  

Now  I realize that I should replace my filter more often for better quality therapy.  Are all filters pretty much the same?  Or some better than others?

Thanks

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - SarcasticDave94 - 12-31-2021

I've heard the filter can be washed out if you choose. I always replaced mine monthly regardless of appearance.

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - OpalRose - 12-31-2021

I change the filter monthly too.  Remember, the filter protects the machine.
I've also found that hypoallergenic filters (which cost more) seem to restrict air flow a bit, so I use the regular filters.

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - Big Guy - 12-31-2021

Heck yeah........just wash it with some hot water and a drop or two of dish soap. Give it a gentle finger massage and don't fold or bend it. 

Rinse in hot water and pat dry with a paper towel. It'll dry completely within a few minutes.  Cool

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - Melman - 12-31-2021

My intent is to change the filter monthly but it is easy to forget and I think I've gone as long as 3 months without any issues. But this thread reminds me, it's probably overdue so guess where I'm headed.

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - DaveL - 12-31-2021

I saw a video on youtube recently that showed the horrible condition of the blower inside a ResMed machine. I don't think it's worth taking a chance. I've forgotten to change filters in the past, but won't now.

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - clownbell - 01-01-2022

Filters are cheap. The worst thing that can happen is that you waste a few cents. I don't see the upside of NOT changing the filter.

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - StevesSp - 01-01-2022

I run my filters for around 2-3 months and there is a noticeable difference in colour between old and new. I think this is a good guide, because dust usually isn't white. Just pop out your filter from time to time and compare its colour to a new one. If the used filter is noticeably grey, it probably needs replacement.

Time isn't a good guide because environment (how dusty each bedroom is) is way more important. I might have to change filters monthly but your bedroom might be less 'dusty' and so you can go much longer. That's why eyeballing and comparing old with new is so useful.

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - CorruptAlligator - 01-01-2022

Yeah, I've notice used filter (about a month of use) look slightly darker toned. It's odd to me that it would effect the airfllw after 1.5 months in my case. For optimal airflow, I assume every 2 weeks swap it out?

RE: How important is to replace the filter on the A10? - Ratchick - 01-01-2022

I left mine for months at first, and honestly, I didn't really notice any difference - that said, I don't live in a super dusty environment. If it's causing issues at 6 weeks then every month should be fine. I'm surprised it suddenly affected it though, I would have expected a more gradual decrease in performance.