Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! (/Thread-My-Resmed-Airsense-11-went-haywire)

My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Sleep Tide - 01-21-2022

Last night I slipped on my mask to drop off to sleep, and the auto-on didn't work as I tried to breathe. I pressed the start button, and the pressure quickly ramped up to 19, strong enough to blow dried bird poop off a car. My APAP was basically unusable.

I was able to turn on provider mode (thanks Apnea Board!) to see what was up, and found that the minimum and maximum pressures were both set to 19, and that auto-on was turned off. I did not set that myself at any time. If I didn't have access to provider mode to reset, I'd have been hosed (or unhosed) for the night.

Any idea how the settings may have changed without me touching them? I did notice that airplane mode was turned off. I normally keep it turned on because I feel like my night's sleep is private. When the Resmed is connected to the cell network, can someone (my provider, for example) change my settings? If so, why set it so that it's unusable? I feel like I've been hacked.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience or has an informed idea of what happened.

Thanks!

RE: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Sleeprider - 01-21-2022

The Oscar Statistics should show changes in prescription. It will not record who did it, but it should be there with the date. If you have a provider with access to your data, they may have remotely accessed the settings. You should simply confront the DME and make sure you specify that you do not authorize any remote access of your settings.

RE: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Jeff8356 - 01-21-2022

Just curious... Do you remember what the settings were before the change? And was it what the Dr prescribed?

Wondering if you changed your settings yourself and someone in the Dr's office noticed it and changed them back.....

RE: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Sleep Tide - 01-21-2022

The pressure setting was 6-20 as per the doctor's prescription. 19-19 (the new hacked setting) was definitely not, and seems unsafe to me. It was too strong for me to use it.

I can see if I can penetrate the Kaiser Health bureaucracy to see what might have happened there, but the sleep lab guy who set up getting my machine was the guy who recommended using airplane mode if I didn't want them monitoring my sleep. I suspect the change wasn't intentional there. Given the completely crazy setting, I'm beginning to suspect a blooper resetting.

I wish the Airsense 11 had a default airplane mode setting so that it doesn't keep pestering me to turn airplane mode off. It's all too easy to bump the "Yes" button and inadvertently turn airplane mode off so that some unknown person has access to all your sleep data and can remotely jigger your APAP.

RE: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Sleep Tide - 01-21-2022

The mystery deepens: when I used OSCAR to check the data card, the only settings changes I found were the original setting and my setting last night trying to return to normal. No setting at all to 19:19 max/min and auto-on turned to off. So it looks like a Resmed bug, perhaps something they should be aware of. It's not safe for a CPAP machine to unexpectedly change pressure settings to seemingly random values.

RE: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Sleeprider - 01-21-2022

Let's just see if it is ever repeated. The machine only records one setting per day so it's still possible the setting was not recorded to the SD card. It's probably poltergeists.

RE: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Kelseyharry7557 - 01-22-2023

Yes I have had a similar and inexplicable occurrence on several occasions. In my case, I believe I have unwarranted pressure increases while I’m using it, and have the same thing you describe with random setting changes: like airplane and auto off and on being switched. 
My ears start ringing and I wake up suddenly. I had been putting it on airplane mode as well and figured no one could get in to adjust the settings. 

Do you know if the settings can be adjusted while the machine is on and it’s in airplane mode? Can they actually switch airplane mode off? Where can I go to find out more about how airplane mode works?

Also is there anywhere in the clinician mode that can show how high my pressures have gone in say the last thirty days. Any help greatly appreciated. 

RE: My Resmed Airsense 11 went haywire! - Gideon - 01-22-2023

Kelsey, pressures increase when Obstructive Apnea, Hypopnea, or Flow Limits are present. These are the causes. If you can post the Daily. charts from OSCAR, you will need an SD card in your AutoSet overnight to record this data, no SD card, no detailed data.