Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Gaps in data? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Gaps in data? (/Thread-Equipment-Gaps-in-data)

Pages: 1 2

Gaps in data? - Millstone50 - 01-23-2022

Every other night or so I'll have this weird 15 minute gap in data, that doesn't seem predicated by SWJ, it just sort of cuts off then resumes. The mask pressure shows on resume, but tidal volume doesn't register for about 20 seconds. What's going on here?

RE: Gaps in data? - Crimson Nape - 01-23-2022

Your calendar is hiding valuable data at the page's bottom. Please use the F12 key to take a screenshot. This will collapse the calendar and provide us with as much data as possible.

Are you using the Smart Start option? This has cause others, myself included, problems in the past.

RE: Gaps in data? - Millstone50 - 01-23-2022

(01-23-2022, 09:58 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Your calendar is hiding valuable data at the page's bottom.  Please use the F12 key to take a screenshot.  This will collapse the calendar and provide us with as much data as possible.

Are you using the Smart Start option?  This has cause others, myself included, problems in the past.

I see there are session stops/starts for that gap. I have some other sessions deselected on purpose. I do have smart start on, yes.

RE: Gaps in data? - Geer1 - 01-23-2022

Turn smart start off and give that a try.

Some on here have coined smart start as stupid stop (afraid I may have even started that trend). If your breathing is shallow enough for long enough the machine automatically shuts off if this feature is enabled (so it shuts off when you remove mask without powering machine off).

Whenever we see instances that a machine is shutting off and the user isn't aware of shutting it off and especially when the breathing appears to stay constant heading into/out of the period the machine was off then it is usually because of this smart start/stupid stop feature.

RE: Gaps in data? - pholynyk - 01-23-2022

On an AS11, ResMed has split smart-start and smart-stop into two different settings.. I think turning off the smart-stop, while leaving smart-start on will be the most sensible solution.

Oh cool, I didn't know that was changed. I still personally would rather just press the button to start and stop rather than relying on a machine to try and do it for me.

(01-23-2022, 03:08 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Oh cool, I didn't know that was changed. I still personally would rather just press the button to start and stop rather than relying on a machine to try and do it for me.

I wouldn't rather have that at all. But if it's what it takes to get it to run when necessary, then that's what needs to be done.

(01-23-2022, 03:15 PM)Millstone50 Wrote: I wouldn't rather have that at all. But if it's what it takes to get it to run when necessary, then that's what needs to be done.

I guess my opinion comes from knowing these settings aren't reliable rather than the convenience they would provide if they were reliable. That said I am surprised the Autoset 11 does not appear to be further improved for this, that wasn't even that questionably of an example (in some other examples we see breathing is usually even more shallow it makes sense the machine might get confused).

The other alternative is that there was a power outage.

(01-23-2022, 04:01 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I guess my opinion comes from knowing these settings aren't reliable rather than the convenience they would provide if they were reliable. That said I am surprised the Autoset 11 does not appear to be further improved for this, that wasn't even that questionably of an example (in some other examples we see breathing is usually even more shallow it makes sense the machine might get confused).

The other alternative is that there was a power outage.

I'm going to be "minding the gaps" a little closer now to see if they were actual arousals and taking the headgear off.

The machine is on a UPS, and I haven't had any outages this week.

RE: Gaps in data? - 2SleepBetta - 01-23-2022

The OP topic may explain my similar instance below and the 1?-minute white streaks I occasionally saw in the FR curve --all curves?--of data from my Autoset in the first 3 years of my PAP  life. I don't recall seeing streaks in my VAuto results the past 3 years. My Autoset graph "pauses" were few and brief.

What is the break-time time gap or other cause that can split a Resmed BRP file for a night into two separate pieces with a (predictable?) gap within the foursome of two file time-namings and two zero-times. 

Similar to the OP, I've had, for example, a night with two successive but not quite continuously logged BRP files with their names having usual file start times. But the last time stamp of the first file (in my most recent case) was 74 seconds earlier than start time name of the second BRP file. The intervening 74 seconds had vanished and had to be restored with zero FR values and their log times to keep all in chrono sequence for the night and be made ready for OSCAR Somnopose import of that sleep's data.

Smart start has been great when striving for fractional-second "simultaneous" startups. It helps for devices without an accurate UTC signal and needing an "on" press of a button or a thump (an accelerometer). The Dreem 2's UTC time agrees with my old Blackberry's UTC time and was the checkered flag for starting other devices. The VAuto eventually spoiled all that nerdy fun and its challenges by making my OSCAR tableaus boring. Looking at and learning from old, deranged Autoset curves and data I wish I had early data from all the other devices I got later.

I would prefer pholynyk's approach, to keep smart start available.