Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Additives for water tank - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Additives for water tank (/Thread-Additives-for-water-tank)

Pages: 1 2

Additives for water tank - CurtA - 01-27-2022

Just wondering if there is a safe additive to prevent sinus infections from developing or to treat existing problems - Hydrogen Peroxide?

Any ideas?

RE: Additives for water tank - Gideon - 01-27-2022

Just follow the standard cleaning regime with perhaps an occasional soaking with a dilute vinegar to remove mineral content. Take care of your room air and you will be fine.

RE: Additives for water tank - SarcasticDave94 - 01-27-2022

Peroxide can be used in your cleaning regimen regarding the humidifier tub if you choose. Personally, I wouldn't add anything to the humidifier for usage other than water. This can be tap water if you can drink it. If the water is hard, you might need to clean the tank more often, but distilled is not really necessary.

And welcome to the Apnea Board.

RE: Additives for water tank - CurtA - 01-27-2022

Just found this, so it might be safer to avoid it:

RE: Additives for water tank - RNeil - 01-27-2022

Some people have biological growth in their CPAP or hose because they get condensation after they turn off the machine. Resmed mitigates this with a cooldown cycle after turn off. The best way to eliminate the condensation is to remove the reservoir immediately after turn off, empty it and wipe it out.

RE: Additives for water tank - Melman - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 01:23 PM)CurtA Wrote: Just found this, so it might be safer to avoid it:

That warning applies to filling a nebulizer with peroxide and inhaling it. I'm sure it would also apply to filling the reservoir with peroxide instead of water. There is no danger to using it to clean your reservoir. It breaks down quickly to O2 and water.  A sanitizer such as peroxide is only necessary, howver, if there is evidence of microbial growth such as slime on the surfaces of the reservoir. Otherwise cleaning with mild detergent is sufficient.

RE: Additives for water tank - Crimson Nape - 01-27-2022

You can commercially obtain Hydrogen Peroxide in strengths from 3% to 35%. As a rule of thumb, using a strength above 3% will burn your skin. The 3% is what you buy at the drug store. When using the 35% solution, which considered food grade, chemical gloves and eye protection is not a fashion statement.

If you are wondering, the strength they use for rocket fuel is 95%.

RE: Additives for water tank - Big Guy - 01-27-2022

Never needed anything more than White Vinegar to break down any residual mineral build up in my water reservoir. And, that only happened every now & then. 

Emptying the reservoir and wiping it dry with a paper towel worked perfect. I'd leave it out for a good hour or so to insure that it fully air-dried.

RE: Additives for water tank - StevesSp - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 01:48 PM)RNeil Wrote: Some people have biological growth in their CPAP or hose because they get condensation after they turn off the machine. Resmed mitigates this with a cooldown cycle after turn off. The best way to eliminate the condensation is to remove the reservoir immediately after turn off, empty it and wipe it out.

Not a good idea. If you remove the tank on a 10 series machine, the hose is not being swept by air during the drying cycle. This could promote bacterial growth in the hose as it will remain 'wet'.

RE: Additives for water tank - clownbell - 01-27-2022

Red says (above) they use 95% strength for rocket fuel. Will that work for my Corvette? Oh - wait - I don't have a Corvette.   Oh-jeez