Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Not sure how it will end up...... - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Not sure how it will end up...... (/Thread-Not-sure-how-it-will-end-up)

Pages: 1 2

Not sure how it will end up...... - Big Guy - 02-11-2022

.......but I haven't used my CPAP now in over a month. I'm sleeping thru the night just fine, I don't feel any worse or better (normal) during the day, and I'm finally getting over my suspected case of Covid. Still have a lingering minor dry cough though.

My wife is over her's, as she had it at least a week or so before I caught it. 

Being retired, I can take a cat nap whenever I feel the need, and that does help a lot. I'm going to give it a few months w/o therapy and see how it turns out.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - DaveL - 02-11-2022

Happy this works for you

I go through periods when I wonder about my treatment.

Man wasn't made to wear a mask and connect it to a blower. Man did fine until they invented cpap. My Father sounded just like me when he breathed--with no treatment because OSA wasn't tested and so he didn't know. He lived to be 76 1/2. I'm 75 1/2, and have used cpap for almost 35 years. It's hard work doing this gig.

Right now? I'm starting to feel better with my treatment. However, during a tough period recently I could have made the same decision. My S10 "for her" can be dialled up and my DME supplier has done just that. Maybe I should take the "squealer" out of it.

On good days I'm thankful for good treatment.
On bad days I tray and gain by remembering the good days and How I felt after treatment.

My story isn't important. But what is important is that we make our own decisions. Heck we can change our mind if we need to. So please stay in touch. And do what's right for you.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - DaveL - 02-11-2022

Rant--make these people where a mask and hook up to a machine. until they can do 8 hours, and do it often.

* designers
* sleep docs
* DME provider dispensers.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - Sleeprider - 02-11-2022

That's why we're here is to cure people from their apnea. I sure hope you graduate to sucking air without a hose. Sure wish I could learn to do that again.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - clownbell - 02-11-2022

Rangers are tough people. Arizonans are tough people. Best wishes to you.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - Big Guy - 02-12-2022

I'm not taking my decision to stop therapy lightly. But, it all boils down to either use it or not. I have to admit, I've been a bit suspicious ever since having been diagnosed. 

Other than some snoring, I wasn't suffering in any way, as far as I know. And, I do think my expectations were a bit high, thinking that CPAP therapy would male all the difference in the world. 

I've been a member here long enough to fully realize that for some, it does make all the difference in the world, and I respect that. 

Anyways, I'm giving it a shot to see what happens down the road. My machine is still set up and ready to roll. I won't be putting it away anytime soon. 

I'm still going to be a nuisance around here, as I sincerely do enjoy you all and like passing the time as well.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - Sleeprider - 02-12-2022

I have no problem when members find ways to deal with their apnea that are alternative to CPAP. We have a current member SleepyCPAP that is using the Alaxo Stent and found it resolves his palatal prolapse to the extent CPAP is not needed. Great! We helped. You have learned a great deal about your own therapy needs and what works, so we won't hold it against you that you beat the odds.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - Homerec130 - 02-12-2022

Still using CPAP therapy with good results. The most important part of it is the wife no longer wakes me up and tells me I am snoring.

I have no problem wearing a mask as I used to do it flying with the AF on a regular basis. I can tell when I haven't used the machine. When I went back for my mother's funeral service 5 years ago, I intentionally left my machine home as I was trying to travel with minimum baggage it was for only a couple of nights. I knew I was going to have several nights without much sleep and would be dealing with jet lag. So, I went with it and used the old aircrew adage, I'll catch up on my sleep later. BTW, wouldn't do it again.

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - DaveL - 02-15-2022

(02-12-2022, 09:58 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: Still using CPAP therapy with good results. The most important part of it is the wife no longer wakes me up and tells me I am snoring.

I have no problem wearing a mask as I used to do it flying with the AF on a regular basis. I can tell when I haven't used the machine. When I went back for my mother's funeral service 5 years ago, I intentionally left my machine home as I was trying to travel with minimum baggage it was for only a couple of nights. I knew I was going to have several nights without much sleep and would be dealing with jet lag. So, I went with it and used the old aircrew adage, I'll catch up on my sleep later. BTW, wouldn't do it again.
Thanks for the advice.

Means a lot.

(I ranted earlier; I apologize.)

RE: Not sure how it will end up...... - Homerec130 - 02-15-2022

DaveL,

No problems with the rant - I agree that the designers and docs should go through the experience. The sleep center where my wife had her study requires all of their techs to go through a sleep study as a patient once a year so they have the patient experience. I have been quite impressed with the care and customer service.