Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Getting a new machine? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Getting a new machine? (/Thread-Getting-a-new-machine)

Getting a new machine? - APNEA_Sam - 06-25-2013

I talked to a new DME today (don't even get me started on DMEs) and they say I'm eligible for a new machine next month. I've been using my current machine (System One RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex / 750P) for over 3 years now with no problems. I'd tell them no, but my insurance pays 100% of the cost and I really don't have to do anything other than say yes and hook it up.

Looks like they'd give me one of these: ResMed S9 VPAP™ Auto Bilevel w/H5i™ Humidifier. Pretty sure that was on the "good machines" list right? Can't find that list despite efforts to do so. Angry They also have the same model with some sort of heated hose. Not sure what the deal is with that; I've never thought "I wish my hose wasn't so cold" but maybe there's some science to it.

What do you think? Go for it and use the old one as a spare / for travel?

RE: Getting a new machine? - jgjones1972 - 06-25-2013

Go for it! It's always good to have a spare because you never know what's going to happen. Try the new one to see how you like it, then just use your favorite and keep the other for a spare.

I don't know much about Bi-Level machines, but I'm pretty sure the ResMed S9 VPAP Auto is a good one and fully data capable.

The heated hose is to prevent condensation in the tube from the humidifier. The machine and humidifier would be the same - just a ClimateLine heated hose instead of un-heated SlimLine or Standard. All H5i humidifiers can power a ClimateLine or can use Standard or SlimLine.

RE: Getting a new machine? - Paptillian - 06-25-2013

(06-25-2013, 11:19 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote: The heated hose is to prevent condensation in the tube from the humidifier.

Also gets you a thermostat to play with. I think you can set the air temperature anywhere from 60F to 86F.

RE: Getting a new machine? - trish6hundred - 06-25-2013

Hi APNEA_Sam,
If you decide to go for the new machine, you could keep the other one as a spair or use it for travel.
Best of luck to you on your decision and WELCOME! to the forum.!

RE: Getting a new machine? - britincanada - 06-25-2013

I am sure your not going to keep the older one

The DMEs will Referbe it and sell it on

Enjoy the New Machine

RE: Getting a new machine? - archangle - 06-25-2013

All of the S9 VPAP machines and Philips Respironics PRS1 BiPAP machines are "good" in terms of full data collection.

The S9 VPAP auto is an excellent machine as far as I can tell. I haven't used one, but it seems many people find it feels "gentler" than the PRS1 models.

In the USA, A CPAP machine is usually "rent to own" with insurance. It's usually yours after 3-13 months. There may be a small number of exceptions, but it's rare.

All S9 machines will work with the optional heated hose. If you buy it without the hose bundled into the original purchase, you can upgrade later for the price of an expensive new heated hose.

You absolutely want the heated humidifier no matter which hose you get.

Some PRS1 machines will work with a heated hose, some won't.

RE: Getting a new machine? - RonWessels - 06-25-2013

(06-25-2013, 04:25 PM)archangle Wrote: Some PRS1 machines will work with a heated hose, some won't.

Just a quick clarification on that. While the latest 60 Series machines are not compatible with the older versions, the same 60 Series heated tube humidifier will connect will all 60 Series xPAP machines. If you have a system with a 60 Series heated humidifier, you can just purchase the 60 Series heated TUBE humidifier as well as the heated tube itself and they will all work together. Furthermore, the heated tube humidifier will also accept and work fine with a standard non-heated tube.