Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i (/Thread-Trying-to-convert-from-F30i-to-P30i)

Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - shockedCABG - 03-13-2022

For comfort I am trying to migrate to a P30i from my F30i. I have to use Somnifix strips with my F30i as my jaw drops once I fall into deep sleep and 'large leaks' occur at the bottom of the mask and of course with the P30i I have to keep my lips together at all times.  

It all works with the P30i but I wake up with a pounding head, nasal irritation which lasts all the following day with a streaming nose, but and worst of all my nostrils are really painful from the air whooshing in. I do not experience this with F30i full face mask + Somnifix - only this new P30i + Somnifix.

My research elsewhere on this board indicates I might need to pay (I self fund) for Humidification. Does that sound right? Or has anyone else resolved this problem in a different way?

RE: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - OpalRose - 03-13-2022

If you're using the AirSense 10, the humidifier is part of the machine.
What would you be paying for other than a humidifier chamber and possibly distilled water?

RE: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - hegel - 03-13-2022

I've forgotten to fill my humidity chamber a few times and always end up with nasal problems identical to yours. so, yes, it looks like you need humidification.

RE: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - SarcasticDave94 - 03-13-2022

I may be off base but I think some countries issue ResMed PAP machines with the humidifier block off plate instead of the tub. Then the humidifier tub gets treated as an extra cost item in this scenario.

RE: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - shockedCABG - 03-14-2022

(03-13-2022, 11:51 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I may be off base but I think some countries issue ResMed PAP machines with the humidifier block off plate instead of the tub. Then the humidifier tub gets treated as an extra cost item in this scenario.

Thanks for replies - Yes my Resmed has no humidification at all. Looks like my only solution is to buy it!

RE: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - DaveL - 03-14-2022

Mine came with a humidifier chamber. However, it's marked "distilled water only" In Canada. it's a ResMed chamber.

I shopped--my DME Supplier wants a $100 Canadian for the more expensive (tap water) container. Other suppliers sell it for 1/2 price with free shipping.

Suggestion--shop around.

RE: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - Gideon - 03-14-2022

You can use any water that you would drink.
If it is hard water with minerals you will need to frequently dump the dredges in the humidifier chamber to get rid of the minerals. If they accumulate a brief soak with a weak vinegar solution and rinse is all you will need. With distilled water you can go many weeks without seeing any sign of minerals and thus it is preferred by many, but it is not required.

RE: Trying to convert from F30i to P30i - xhwmikey - 03-14-2022

Hello shockedCAGB,

I too moved from the F30i to the P30i.

It was a very worthwhile endeavor for me. That said, I do have the humidifier chamber, and I find that humidity is pretty critical to not drying out the nasal passages.

There are two types of humidifier chambers made by ResMed for the AS10 - one that is "dishwasher safe" and does not say distilled water only, and one that is not dishwasher safe and does specify distilled water only. FWIW, I agree with Gideon's post above, but if you have to purchase a humidifier chamber anyway, why not get the "dishwasher safe" version? This could eliminate any "But why do they say..." voice in the back of your mind. I don't think there is a huge difference in cost.

Also, don't hesitate to try a different nasal pillow size than what the ResMed sizing guide indicates. For example, I "should" be using a small size IAW the ResMed guide, but found the medium to be more comfortable and less leak prone.

Hope this helps.

Mikey