Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
My silly question for today. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: My silly question for today. (/Thread-My-silly-question-for-today)

My silly question for today. - David Clark - 03-29-2022

This is going to have nothing to do with sleep or apnea. 
I have a pretty good assortment of masks...over the nose FFM, hybrid FFM, over the nose nasal, under the nose cushion, pillows...
I tend to get nasal congestion fairly frequently. Has anyone taken some Vicks and put it by the air intake of their machine and put on a nasal pillows mask..not to sleep but to maybe help relieve their congestion? 
I've seen comments where people have said the pressure overcomes the congestion while they're trying to sleep so it just made me wonder if you could use it to help out even when you're not trying to sleep.

RE: My silly question for today. - Crimson Nape - 03-29-2022

This was popular a few years ago here. I had forgotten about the aroma therapy some members were using. If you take a cotton ball or pad laced with the aromatic oil, or in your case the Vicks salve, then place it near the CPAP's intake.

Some DMEs used to sell a little block of wood with a groove in it that would hold an air filter, gauze pad, or cotton pad. I found it far cheaper to use a binder clip, when I tried it.

RE: My silly question for today. - Sleeprider - 03-29-2022

David this is right up there with connecting the CPAP to a bong (please don't try this at home). Have you ever looked at Flonase (fluticasone propionate) as a possible solution?

RE: My silly question for today. - cathyf - 03-29-2022

(03-29-2022, 06:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: David this is right up there with connecting the CPAP to a bong (please don't try this at home).   Have you ever looked at Flonase (fluticasone propionate) as a possible solution?

Nah, the bong sounds WAY more fun than Flonase! Too-funny

RE: My silly question for today. - David Clark - 03-29-2022

Sleeprider, I have tried a few OTC sprays, pills etc but I don't believe I've tried Flonase yet...and....a bong you say... Thinking-about

RE: My silly question for today. - Sleeprider - 03-29-2022

True confession...I use flonase. I takes a few days to have full effect, but you won't develop a dependency, rebound or a bad case of falling on the floor and saying "Wow man!"

RE: My silly question for today. - Homerec130 - 03-29-2022

Flonase works quite well for both the wife and I. Have used it for quite a few years. We both use the F20 FFM and we are both moth breathers.

RE: My silly question for today. - dryeyesandsleepapnea - 03-30-2022

Chiming in with another vote for Flonase. I use the Sensimist version. Also an F20 mouth breather.

RE: My silly question for today. - Aldebaran - 03-30-2022

I actually tried taking a cotton ball with Vicks and then put it in the water chamber of my AS11. I don't use humidity so that compartment is always empty. I have heat and humidity off. It smelled really good for one or two nights.

RE: My silly question for today. - RayBee - 03-30-2022

Sometimes I have sinus issues. Not often thankfully. But when I do, I can get relief by using the NeilMed sinus rinse system - with the squirt bottle, not the Neti Pot. The other thing that works nearly instantly for me is to take a timed release Sudafed. Beware, Sudafed may keep you awake. For me, it has no such affect and I sleep like a baby. Fortunately, I only seem to need to take a Sudafed a few days out of the year.