Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Hypopnea Overload - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Hypopnea Overload (/Thread-Hypopnea-Overload)

Hypopnea Overload - Steptoe - 04-14-2022

I just completed one year of CPAP use.  I have followed this forum closely and watched a lot of YouTube videos, but I can't get my AHI average below 3.00.  I will get an occasional 2.00 - 2.50, but the average consistently stays at just above 3.00.  It seems like every experienced CPAP user in this forum averages 1.00 or lower.  I have tried different masks and settings, but I just can't get my AHI lower.  Usually, I log about twice as many hypopneas as apneas.  Is there anything I need to do that will bring the hypopneas down?

I have primarily used a DreamWear nasal cushion, but lately I have been experimenting with the Bleep DreamPorts.  I tape my mouth, and leaks do not seem to be a problem.  

I have attached a screenshot from last night, together with a closeup from around 3 am, which seems to be representative of the hypopnea issue I refer to.

Thanks,

Steptoe

RE: Hypopnea Overload - pholynyk - 04-14-2022

From your charts, you are now using an F&P SleepStyle Auto. In your settings, I see that the EPR is 'OFF". In my experience with a ResMed AutoSense, my hypoapneas are reduced considerable when I set my EPR to its maximum, so I would suggest you turn on EPR to at least its middle value and try that for a week or so.

RE: Hypopnea Overload - Steptoe - 04-14-2022

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give that a try starting tonight.

RE: Hypopnea Overload - Steptoe - 04-15-2022

Great advice pholynyk.  Thank you very much.  I turned on the EPR last night and my AHI was 1.43 with only 7 hypopneas.  This compares to a 3.75 AHI with 21 hypopneas on the previous night, which had been consistent with my readings for most other nights.  I meant to set the EPR to 2 as you advised, but for some reason I only set it to one.  Do you think I should try 2 or higher tonight or leave it alone.  I have attached an Oscar screenshot from last night.

I should add, I slept great last night and feel very good this morning (except for a very sore arm from the second COVID booster shot I received yesterday).

Thanks again for the recommendation.

RE: Hypopnea Overload - pholynyk - 04-15-2022

We all know that one night doesn't make a trend, but it is encouraging. By way of making it a proper experiment, I would leave it at 1 for a week, then increase EPR to 2 for a week, and then try 3 for a week. After that evaluate which week felt most comfortable. If the comfort was about the same, chose the week with the best numbers. Remember, comfortable sleep is the goal.

RE: Hypopnea Overload - clownbell - 04-16-2022

The 3am hypopnea are grouped closely, indicating possible positional apnea?

Would OP benefit from a cervical collar?