Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
tests with collar and mouth tape - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: tests with collar and mouth tape (/Thread-tests-with-collar-and-mouth-tape)

tests with collar and mouth tape - rogerncormier74 - 04-15-2022

[attachment=41638][attachment=41639][attachment=41640]

Hey guys, here are the tests I made for myself over the past 3 days.

The 1st day I just tried the mouth tape.
2nd day I tried only soft cervical collar based on recommendation.
3rd day I tried both the tape and collar.

Am I wrong in thinking that the tape might not be making a huge difference? It may be helping, but seems like the collar is the big thing helping for me.
Just trying to see if the tape also makes sense for me or not.
I still don't really know how to read these charts much yet. 

I saw that the leak rate of the Resmed P10 mask has a leak rate of 29 at 8 pressure. I was at a max total leak of 36 last night for example.  Am I comparing those numbers correctly? If that is the case, would it mean that the difference between 36 and the 29 would be mask leak in theory, since my mouth was taped?

Thanks.

RE: tests with collar and mouth tape - edfreeman - 04-15-2022

Depends on the problem you are solving. If you have mouth leaks, the tape is the most effective, a cervical collar can be effective. If you have apneas caused by your chin tucking, the cervical collar will be most effective, tape won't matter. With a suspicion of both, I'd start with the collar, and maybe add the tape if there is evidence of unacceptable mouth leaks.

The collar improved, but did not solve my open mouth leaks. The tape solved that. My AHI is typically below 1, though. Yours is not.

Your pressure setpoint says 8 cm h20, but your pressure reading is just above 6... what's up with that?

RE: tests with collar and mouth tape - pholynyk - 04-15-2022

If you look carefully at the pressure graph, there is a green line sitting at the top, just below the 8.0 line; this is his IPAP. Below that is the red line just above 6.0. This is his EPAP, because he is using C-flex+.

RE: tests with collar and mouth tape - rogerncormier74 - 04-15-2022

(04-15-2022, 08:58 PM)pholynyk Wrote: If you look carefully at the pressure graph, there is a green line sitting at the top, just below the 8.0 line; this is his IPAP. Below that is the red line just above 6.0. This is his EPAP, because he is using C-flex+.

I was actually curious about this myself though.  Based on looking at that graph though, does that mean I am at a 6 the whole night? Even though I am set to fixed 8? I thought that flex thing was only something on the exhale, but the graph confused me and made me think I was at 6 all the time.
Thoughts?

RE: tests with collar and mouth tape - pholynyk - 04-15-2022

No, your inhale pressure pressure is fixed at 8, and your pressure drops down to 6 when you exhale.

I don't recall if the Dreamstation charts display the mask pressure, but if it does, scroll down to it and zoom in until you see the pressure bouncing up and down. If you drag the mask pressure graph up to just below the Flow Rate grach, you can see how they relate to each other.

Here is an example from my ResMed Autoset, which uses EPR to reduce the pressure instead of flex, but he effect is similar:
[attachment=41656]

RE: tests with collar and mouth tape - edfreeman - 04-16-2022

Thanks, @pholynyk, I did not see that other line since it is the max of his scale.