Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Tips for Air Travel - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Tips for Air Travel (/Thread-Tips-for-Air-Travel)

Tips for Air Travel - mretzer - 04-21-2022

A friend is planning some international air travel (Chicago to Austrailia) in the upcoming months. Her physician has recommended taking her BiPAP machine (ResMed Airsense 10) and an oxygen concentrator for use on the plane. He has suggested it may be most convenient flying business class. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for long duration flights: most accommodating airlines, availability of electric power, use of batteries, etc. She will be traveling with her husband who can assist with juggling any equipment.

RE: Tips for Air Travel - mesenteria - 04-21-2022

If the airline permits its use during the flight, I would be inclined to use my own backup battery. I use a single Medistrom, good for six hours with no heat/humidity.

RE: Tips for Air Travel - Sleeprider - 04-21-2022

Airline power outlets are very limited on the amperage they provide. The airline intends that you may charge a phone or laptop. It is possible, the airline seat power cannot handle a BPAP or oxygen concentrator, and very likely that your friend will be unable to connect both. This link to a guide for flying with a portable oxygen concentrator has good advise about involving the doctor and carrying documentation the devices are needed, contacting the airline ahead of time and planning for battery capacity. Most airlines require that you carry 150% of the battery capacity needed for the entire flight, and there are limits on battery types and sizes. If your friend really needs these devices to support her health, it may be a good idea to do some shorter domestic travel to work out the glitches, and evaluate the health impacts of flight, rather than launch into a 20+ hour plus layovers, international marathon. It's not inconceivable that Australia is just out of her range given health conditions and the battery requirements for such a long flight.

Please search "Guide to Flying with an Oxygen Concentrator". Also look at the United Airlines rules for POC here https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/special-needs/disabilities/customer-oxygen.html Your friend should clearly research any airline they intend to book with.

RE: Tips for Air Travel - Sara - 05-05-2022

Since the pandemic started I have not been able to use my cpap on a commercial flight! My hubby could sleep with his BongoRx as long as his mask as over it but it was as an absolute no to my cpap mask and little machine.
Have they lifted that recently?

RE: Tips for Air Travel - Crimson Nape - 05-05-2022

Since the mask mandate has been lifted, even temporarily, I don't see any commercial carrier restrictions on the use of a CPAP.

RE: Tips for Air Travel - fusionh3 - 06-22-2022

I would suggest getting new (< 1-year) prescriptions (of machines and meds) and taking copies or pictures of them along.  They will act as proof of medical requirement, making all battery accessories inaplicapable to FAA limitations.  The business class suggestion has merit as bus is more likely to have 120v outlets.  And check the airlines equipment configuration to be sure such amenities are provided.  There are compact machines designed for travel (I haven't looked for bipap-travel), smaller, lighter, a bit more noisy, a pillow or drawer or under seat should abate the extra noise.  There is a special hose connector to insert oxygen.  For travel, cpap hoses do not pack well, coiled up in a suit case, wasted corner space.  Consider 2-3 18" or shorter hoses connected with inline couplers that can be packed straight along the long side of a carry-on.  Might need a longer hose if putting machine on airplane floor.

RE: Tips for Air Travel - fusionh3 - 06-22-2022

Ignorant Flight Attendant.  Medical needs (verified with prescription) trump airline and other mandates.  And a filtered cpap should provide better covid protection that a 30% surgical mask.  Might want a full face mask vs nose mask.  Check with airline, ask for a letter, before hand.

RE: Tips for Air Travel - mretzer - 02-05-2023

Just a re-post to see if anyone has more suggestions.

"I'd appreciate any advice on air travel with oxygen compressor, BiPAP, & their batteries, please!  We're planning a trip to Australia.  Do airlines hassle you about the batteries required to run a compressor?  I believe we should be OK with equipment being medical devices.  I have a letter from my doctor.  You breathe 15% oxygen on the plane & a cousin said they go lower when it's 'time to sleep.' My cousin lost consciousness when the airline assumed people would be asleep.  They turned the oxygen percentage down even lower than the 15%. Thanks! "

RE: Tips for Air Travel - Lucid - 02-05-2023

Has she ever taken such a long flight before?  It's exhausting, and you risk blood clots in your legs even if you're in great health.  Yes, business class makes a DRAMATIC difference in how tolerable it is.  Any layovers (actual overnights in a hotel, not waiting in the airport) that reduce the duration of flights would make a big difference, too, and battery life would be less of a constraint.   

Remember, the total travel time is much greater than the flight duration.  You need to check in two or three hours before the flight to be sure of getting through security in time.  There are often delays in take-off.  Deplaning, waiting for baggage, and getting through customs can add another hour or more.  Plus travel time to and from the airports.

I used to take some of the longest flights (Johannesburg, South Africa) 15 or more years ago, before using CPAP, and dreaded each one.  I doubt I could do it now that I'm older, even if I didn't need the machine.  

Sleeprider's advice to do test runs of your gear on domestic flights first is essential.

That said, be sure the rules for your international flights, and their power sources, don't differ significantly from the domestic flights.

Personally, I would probably do without CPAP on the plane, since I can't sleep much on a plane.  I'm going to feel like garbage when I land, regardless.  However, oxygen may be a more serious matter, as you point out. 

The CPAP in its carrying case is a free piece of luggage; you'd want to be sure about the batteries.  I hope someone who has actually done this recently will speak up.