Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Product Review] Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Product Review Forums (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Product-Review-Forums)
+---- Forum: Other Product Reviews (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Other-Product-Reviews)
+---- Thread: [Product Review] Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. (/Thread-Product-Review-Review-of-the-Lookee-Ring-Sleep-Oxygen-Monitor-with-vibration-alarm)

Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. - paperboy - 04-21-2022

I have been using this ring monitor for a couple of weeks and want to share my experience with others.  It provides two parameters not shown on the Resmed 10 MyAir app; oxygen saturation and heart rate.  In addition, it has a vibration alarm that can be set when the O2 saturation drops below a selected point.  I have mine set to vibrate below 90%. The ring vibrates every few seconds until the O2 sat increases above 90%.

I have noticed that even when MyAir says I had excellent results, I still had significant desaturations intermittently throughout the night.  The vibration did not always fully waken me. I guess that most of the time I felt the vibration without awakening and reflexively responded by changing body position or mouth/jaw situation. That always resolved the desaturation within a few seconds. Since using the ring I have never had a desaturation lasting more than 15 seconds (the ring gives this info in its app). Typically, the ring shows that I have 4-5 desats below 90% most nights.  But they don’t last more than a few seconds. This despite an AHI < 5.

My latest score says that I slept 7h41m. I had 12 desats of more than 4% from my average of 97% in that time, averaging 1.6 desats per hour.  I only had 1 desat less than 90% and that was 89%.  That desat lasted only 4 seconds. My average heart rate was 64 bpm with the highest being 90 bpm and the lowest being 55 bpm. The app also calculates and O2 score on a scale of 1-10.  This night my score was 9.6.

Some of the reviews have said that this ring is not as accurate as a real pulse oximeter. To that I say that it is accurate enough to detect desaturations and measure their length. Others have complained about breakdown of the unit.  I have only had it about two weeks, but no problems with charging or other breakdowns so far. Battery life seems to cover two nights without problem. Then I recharge it.

This is a smallish ring.  I am a big guy, but it fits nicely on my pinky finger. It would be too tight on my other fingers.  But I barely notice it when I am sleeping. Lookee also sells the “Wellue” ring which does the same things but which looks larger in the pictures.

I think this ring gives a new dimension to sleep apnea treatment.  Everyone on CPAP should have a pulse oximeter and the vibration alarm is essential with it. l Before that I sometimes awoke gagging on my own tongue, not knowing how long I was not breathing even with CPAP operating properly. Even people who are not on CPAP but are heavy snorers should consider getting one of these things.  The readout might convince them to get a proper medical sleep evaluation.  It could save their life and maybe let their partner have a more restful slumber.

RE: Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. - Crimson Nape - 04-21-2022

Nice review! I would like to point out that if you upgrade to OSCAR v1.3.1, you can import its binary data file alongside your Resmed's data.
- Red

RE: Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. - paperboy - 04-05-2023

I wanted to update my use of the Lookee pulse oximeter ring since I have been using it for about 1 year. No technical issue to report. Battery takes a charge and lasts two nights before recharging is needed. 
I would like to add that this ring gives you information not found in OSCAR or Resmed MyAir applications; namely arterial oxygen saturations, heart rate and body motion.  Whenever I desaturate below 90% the ring vibrates on my finger. This usually does not awaken me, but I respond to the vibration by moving my body position which results in a return to normal oxygen levels.
I have had serious desaturations into the 70s range. The ring responded and the saturation improved almost immediately. Why was I desaturating? I don't know...body position, airway obstruction, plane sleep apnea or whatever.  I am not claiming that this ring saved my life when I had a serious desaturation...it may have. But there is no way of knowing for sure.  Having dealt with OSA for over 20 years, this ring or similar gadgets add reassurance like no other gadgets I know of. I think that anyone who is a heavy snorer or who has an OSA diagnosis should consider using a device like this. 

FYI  I have no commercial interest in LOOKEE Sleep Oxygen Monitors and have not been paid to make these posts.
LOOKEE® Sleep Oxygen Monitors

RE: Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. - SnoNoMo - 07-27-2023

I am helping my 17 year old with her sleep apnea. 

I am a big fan of this device. 

CPAP stopped being workable for my kid (Areophagia after 6 months of successful cpap led to rumination syndrome. Before we could figure out how to prevent the aerophagia, the rumination worsened. It's not a reported after effect of cpap or aerophagia, but the connection in her case was obvious and unexplainable otherwise.  Rumination syndrome is a horrible condition that can lead to feeding tubes so no cpap for her.)

So as we are trying out all sorts of alternatives, many without much effect, this device allows us to see the current state of her breathing and heartrate during sleep. Recently she had the first of 3 RFA procedures. The device allowed us to see her healing and improvement in realtime. Although it generally aligns with how she feels about her night's sleep, it helps to remove the subjectivity arising from hope/discouragement from the assessment. 

The device allowed us to see her consistently high heartrate and it many spikes up, along with the desaturations. As she improves, the improved numbers allow us to follow what's going on. It is great to have the constant monitoring. Her apple watch gives these numbers too infrequently to get a clear idea of what is going on.

As the above user experienced, the vibrating alarm does not wake her up. In our case, it didn't have any useful effect. Maybe that function will be tweaked in future editions. We purchased a "refurbished" one for a small discount that we appreciated.