Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues (/Thread-CMS50F-Pulse-Oximeter-and-Mac-Catalina-issues)

Pages: 1 2

CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Bamf66 - 04-29-2022

Hello All! 

I downloaded OSCAR several weeks ago and it works flawlessly with my Mac (Catalina) ever since my machine stop sending my data to my iPhone in early April. 

Yesterday, I received the CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and used it for the night. In the morning, I imported all my data from my machine first. I then downloaded the SiLabs USBDrivers (v.6) and then ran the Oximeter Wizard, hooking my meter up to my Mac, when asked, but when it was done searching, it couldn't find my Oximeter. From what I read here there are issues with importing because of the company's updated software version on the Oximeter? (version 2.0.6)

I used every single drop down in the wizard I could to see if it would work but no go. Unfortunately, getting the *Sp02 file on my Mac and doing it that way is a no go because all the software by the Oximeter maker (Contec) and other software online is geared towards Windows users. I've read several threads here, searched online for other software and drivers, but nothing for Mac. 

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this issue that wouldn't cause me to go out and buy a cheaply used Windows laptop so I can download the data? 

I'm sorry if this seems to be a redundant question to all you long-timers here. 

Any help would be appreciated. Smile

Contec CMS50F Pulse Oximeter 

Software ver. 2.0.6
Hardware ver. 2.0.0

iMac (Catalina)

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Jeff8356 - 04-29-2022

The newer CMS50F uses a different driver/method than the older units you read about and currently is not compatible with OSCAR  If you have an older Intel Mac you can setup a VM and run Windows in it.  
Then use the "Smart Device Assistant" software and you can import the SpO2 files from the oximeter

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Bamf66 - 05-01-2022

Thanks for your reply, Jeff.

I decided to buy a low end HP Windows 11 laptop on sale. I do not have enough HD space to run Windows on my Mac. And I figure if I find programs I can only run on Windows I'm all set.

I do have a question. Do I download the CP210x Universal Windows Driver or the CP210x Windows Drivers from SiliconLabs? Or do I even need it?

Thanks!

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - pholynyk - 05-01-2022

If you have the newer version with a USB-C style connector, you don't need any CP210x driver. It uses a different USB interface chip.

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Bamf66 - 05-01-2022

The laptop has a USB 3.0 C port so I just need to buy a connecting cable for it. Any particular brand you'd recommend? Not all cables are alike.

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - pholynyk - 05-01-2022

Sorry! I wasn't clear... I meant the oximeter has a USB-C style port, rather than the mini-USB port of the earlier version.

I'm not familiar with the varieties of USB-C cables available... I'm sure Apple has something at an exorbitant price.... My local computer store has a great variety of cables - C to C, C to USB-B... mostly from iCan, a Canadian company of course

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Crimson Nape - 05-01-2022

Since you are now using a Windows 11 machine, all you do is install the Smart Device Assistant software.  It has the required drivers built in, so you won't need to install the CP210x driver.   Be sure and use the USB cable that came with your CMS-50F.  Like you said, not all cables are alike.  If your computer only has a USB-C and your CMS-50F cable is USB/USB-C, you can buy a Version Changer.  If the USB side of the CMS-50F plug has a blue insulator, this means that is a USB-3.0 version and will need a changer that supports this version.  The white insulator in the USB plug end means it is a USB-2.0 version and will work with any version plug. I do know that there are USB-C to USB hubs available.
- Red

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Bamf66 - 05-04-2022

Morning everyone! ? 

I bought the HP laptop and installed Oscar, downloaded the Smart Device Assistant, got my SpO2 file and uploaded it Oscar.  Worked like a charm! 

I also took the SpO2 file and transferred it to my Mac and there were no problems there either. It's weird being on a laptop running Windows.  I left Windows in 2013 for a Mac. 

Thanks for the help getting my issue resolved.  Smile

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - ThinMountainAir - 06-09-2022

Hi Bamf66 and everyone,

I’ve been browsing a lot since I joined but ,unfortunately, I missed this thread before I bought a Contec CMS50F, which arrived yesterday.  Like you, I have a Mac with Catalina.  Am I correct that my Contec CMS50F and my Mac are not going to work together?   I have an desktop Mac that I haven’t even turned on for several years.  I should fire it up and see if it's an Intel, as Jeff discussed, right?

I haven’t slogged through the “manual” yet.  I will, but I'm not looking forward to it.  Will I at least be able to read a full night’s worth of data on the oximeter’s little screen (which reminds me of Dick Tracy’s two-way wrist TV).  

Thanks.

RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter and Mac Catalina issues - Jeff8356 - 06-09-2022

(06-09-2022, 11:37 AM)ThinMountainAir Wrote: ... I have a Mac with Catalina.  Am I correct that my Contec CMS50F and my Mac are not going to work together?   I have an desktop Mac that I haven’t even turned on for several years.  I should fire it up and see if it's an Intel, as Jeff discussed, right?

If your current Mac is running Catalina then you likely have an Intel chipset.  Click on the Apple icon (top left ribbon) and "About this Mac".

The software for the CMS50F is Windows only.  You would need to install Windows in a VM on your Intel Mac, then install the Smart Device Assistant software in Windows.
Three of the most common VM software packages for Intel Mac's:
  • VMware Fusion (they have a free version)
  • Parallels
  • VirtualBox (free, but can be a little harder to setup)
If your desktop Mac is too old you may not be able to find VM software to run on it.